Solver, HP Solve, etc.
06-27-2014, 03:56 PM
RE: Solver, HP Solve, etc.
I thought the hardcopy doc was omitted. Man, this place a thread for everything.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2014, 04:47 PM
(06-27-2014 03:56 PM)HP67 Wrote:  I thought the hardcopy doc was omitted. Man, this place a thread for everything.

Here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=174334

I have some crow to eat here: it turns out that this thread is not primarily about the overlays (though it may answer other questions you may have about the 30b), and worse, the supposedly omitted overlay mentioned early in the thread [SPOILER ALERT!] is later discovered on the floor. However, I originally came across this thread after I purchased a new, unopened 30b that did not have an overlay in the package.

John
06-27-2014, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 07:01 PM by jebem.)
(06-27-2014 03:56 PM)HP67 Wrote:  I thought the hardcopy doc was omitted. Man, this place a thread for everything.

After reading your thread and all the contributions, I started looking for that keyboard overlay in my new HP-30B blister and voila!
Between the last page and the cover of the small 34 pages "Quick Start Guide" I found it!
I never noticed it there before, despite all the manipulation on the manual.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Now I have TWO overlays, one from HP and another from Eric's RPN WP-34S super calculator! Smile

[Image: kb_overlay.jpg]

[Image: HP-30B_with_kb_overlay.jpg]

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

06-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys. Man, that's an ugly calculator with and without the overlay. Good thing it's fast and cheap.

Uh oh, does that mean it can't be good?

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
(06-28-2014 06:46 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Man, that's an ugly calculator with and without the overlay. Good thing it's fast and cheap.

I know two sets of overlays making this a real cutie. Wink And it can be good then. You may call me biased though.

d:-)
06-28-2014, 09:42 PM
(06-27-2014 03:45 PM)John R Wrote:  This overlay was unfortunately omitted (accidentally? intentionally?) from at least some 30b packages. I believe there was a thread about this a year or two ago....

In 2 of my 30b packages, the overlay (about 2" x 2" clear plastic with black print) was shipped inside the manual, stuck between some pages. I happened to see it when it fell out and onto the floor. In another package it was loose inside the plastic blister with the other items.

So look carefully when you open the package, it's easy to lose it. Maybe those 'missing' ones were just hidden or lost with the packaging.

Also, I don't believe there is any mention of the overlay in the manual (such as it is) or on the box, but I do believe it is noted in some of the application notes HP published)

--Bob Prosperi
06-29-2014, 05:43 AM
(06-28-2014 09:42 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-27-2014 03:45 PM)John R Wrote:  This overlay was unfortunately omitted (accidentally? intentionally?) from at least some 30b packages. I believe there was a thread about this a year or two ago....

In 2 of my 30b packages, the overlay (about 2" x 2" clear plastic with black print) was shipped inside the manual, stuck between some pages. I happened to see it when it fell out and onto the floor. In another package it was loose inside the plastic blister with the other items.

So look carefully when you open the package, it's easy to lose it. Maybe those 'missing' ones were just hidden or lost with the packaging.

Also, I don't believe there is any mention of the overlay in the manual (such as it is) or on the box, but I do believe it is noted in some of the application notes HP published)

Yeah, I looked extremely carefully after reading the earlier thread -- I had all the original packaging, manual, calculator, etc. on the same desk where I opened the package, but the overlay just wasn't there. So I called HP to ask if they could provide an overlay, but then your final comment came into play: the representative on the phone said that because there was no indication on the package or on the website that an overlay was included, they could not provide one. Which makes me think that maybe they just deliberately did not include overlays when they didn't have any on hand.

John
06-29-2014, 07:33 PM
(06-29-2014 05:43 AM)John R Wrote:  ...the representative on the phone said that because there was no indication on the package or on the website that an overlay was included, they could not provide one. Which makes me think that maybe they just deliberately did not include overlays when they didn't have any on hand.

There is no mention in the thin booklet that comes in the package, but I just veried the official HP 30b User Guide (from HP website) does indeed mention it specifically on page 75:

"However, included in the calculator package, you should find an overlay which shows the
programming functions. This is designed to be placed on the top surface of the calculator and
left in place for the life of the calculator. If you are interested in programming the calculator,
you will need to place the overlay on your keyboard before getting started."

Try contacting support with that nugget.

Sorry if my earlier post was misleading.

--Bob Prosperi
06-29-2014, 08:36 PM
(06-29-2014 07:33 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  "However, included in the calculator package, you should find an overlay which shows the
programming functions. This is designed to be placed on the top surface of the calculator and
left in place for the life of the calculator. If you are interested in programming the calculator,

Well, you should find... Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2014, 11:34 PM
(06-29-2014 07:33 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There is no mention in the thin booklet that comes in the package, but I just veried the official HP 30b User Guide (from HP website) does indeed mention it specifically on page 75:

"However, included in the calculator package, you should find an overlay which shows the

Nice -- a smoking gun! I don't remember if I noticed this in the user guide at the time, and if so, whether I tried arguing this angle with the representative on the phone. He was a nice enough guy, and clearly wanted to help me if he could, but just didn't know where to start -- most of his calls were probably about laptop hardware issues or printer drivers, not cheap plastic overlays for $30 calculators. Smile

(And no, your earlier post was not at all misleading!)

John
06-29-2014, 11:41 PM
(06-29-2014 08:36 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 07:33 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  "However, included in the calculator package, you should find an overlay which shows the
programming functions....

Well, you should find... Wink

Haha -- maybe the whole issue hinges on the precise lexical distinction between "should" and "shall." After all, the 30b overlay *should* have been printed on more durable material, and the 30b keyboard *should* have been more rugged, and the 30b learning modules *should* have been more carefully vetted for errors, and....

John

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)