Program / application I wish was available on an HP...
07-31-2021, 10:25 PM
Program / application I wish was available on an HP...
The financial calculators can take care of compound interest and annuities, but I'm not aware of any handheld that will handle actuarial math, such as life annuities.

Basically it modifies the normal financial annuities with the probability that someone survives the next year and the year after that etc.

So, consider a perpetuity (a perpetual annuity). For an annual payment, the formula is:

PV = Payment / (annual interest rate)

So if you were to get $1000 a year forever, at an 8% interest rate, that's 1000 / 0.08 or $12,500.

But that's $1000 a year forever. Usually, someone pays an amount now to receive an annuity for as long as you live, not forever.

I've done this in Excel given a mortality table, but I really wish there were a handheld that had the little a-sub-x life annuity symbol.

Then you can have life annuity certain, joint life annuities, etc. Actuarial math is so morbid but so useful.

What machine would this be possible on ? An HP-41X rom / HP-42S would have the memory. The HP-48GX / 50G style machine could.

If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets... :-) Just random musings.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2021, 10:39 PM
RE: Program / application I wish was available on an HP...
Have a look at these two software packages for the HP-48:

Actuarial Math by MacDonald R. Phillips

and

QLIB/48 by Steven P. Lindblad
07-31-2021, 11:22 PM
Well, woo hoo.

Thank you. Sometimes when wishing you do catch a fish!

Gene
08-01-2021, 02:38 PM
Chapter 6. Continuous life annuities by Euler-Maclaurins formula (programs 6a-6d) as well as chapter 7. Continuous life annuities by Simpsons formula (programs 7a-7b) found in Some Actuarial Calculations on HP-25 Pocket Calculator might be of some modest interest, maybe?

BEST!
SlideRule
08-02-2021, 12:06 PM
Pages 21 - 32 of Newsletter 67, DERIVE User Group, may also be of interest, even if Texas Instruments is featured.

BEST!
SlideRule

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)