Advanced Graphing vs. plotimplicit()
05-01-2021, 11:31 PM
Advanced Graphing vs. plotimplicit()
Hi, I was wondering what the difference is between Advanced Graphing and the command plotimplicit() in the Geometry App. For example, when I graph TAN(X) = SEC(Y), Advanced Graphing does it no problem. However, when I do the same thing in the Geometry app and type in plotimplicit(TAN(X)-SEC(Y),X,Y), the calculator is either stuck in a loop or super slow at graphing the curve. Is there some sort of workaround to this? I'm on the Beta Version 20210428. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2021, 06:22 AM
RE: Advanced Graphing vs. plotimplicit()
Make sure you are using x and y lowercase, and enter limits for x and y (otherwise the defaults will be used and this takes forever)
plotimplicit(tan(x)-sec(y),[x=0..pi/2,y=0..pi/2])
This should be run in the CAS history, because in the geometry app it will be recomputed several times, and this is costly.
And of course here, it's easier to express y in terms of x or x in terms of y on each subrectangle of periodicity/symmetry.
plotfunc(acos(1/tan(x)),x=0..pi/2)
08-01-2021, 10:32 PM
RE: Advanced Graphing vs. plotimplicit()
(05-01-2021 11:31 PM)123jkl123jkl Wrote:  Hi, I was wondering what the difference is between Advanced Graphing and the command plotimplicit() in the Geometry App. For example, when I graph TAN(X) = SEC(Y), Advanced Graphing does it no problem. However, when I do the same thing in the Geometry app and type in plotimplicit(TAN(X)-SEC(Y),X,Y), the calculator is either stuck in a loop or super slow at graphing the curve. Is there some sort of workaround to this? I'm on the Beta Version 20210428. Thanks!

I'm glad Prof. Parisse gave illuminating and helpful comments regarding the Geometry app and the CAS history.

While both the CAS (either via Geometry app or the CAS view) and the Advanced Graphing app can produce plots of the equation of interest, they do so in very different ways — and the meaning of the produced plots are quite different.
If you'd like to learn more about how the Advanced Graphing app works, I suggest looking at

http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/people/mooncake/msc.html

and / or

http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/people/moonca...Tupper.pdf

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)