My Calculator Collection - preparing them for sale
07-16-2021, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 08:19 PM by jeejohn.)
My Calculator Collection - preparing them for sale
Updating the post to mentioned that I edited it on July 20, as I made an error in the listing for the Sting model - I have a HP-19C.

I have a bunch of HP (& TI) calculators that I bought some 20+ years ago that I am getting ready to sell.

I had pulled almost all of the batteries out of the calculators back then to make sure that I did not have a battery leaking and damaging the calculators. I want to make sure that they are still in working order. I did read about the calculators needing to have a battery in place before trying to run the calculators on a power cord.

Is there something else that I should be aware of?? Note, most of the Ni-CD batteries are 20+ years old and I don't know if there might be an issue with them.

What I have (HP):
Classic/Topcat: 35 (sold), 45, 55 (sold), 65, 67(sold), 80, 97.
Woodstock: 21, 25 (sold), 29C (2) (both sold). Sting: 19C (sold)
Spice/Spike: 32E (2), 33E, 34C, 38E
HP-41: 41C, 41CV (2), 41CX - with numerous modules, books, and a few accessories.
Voyager: 15C
Handheld computers: 75D with 64KB case, 71B (2) (both sold).
Clamshells: 28C, 28S (sold)
Pioneers: 14B, 17B, 20S (2), 21S, 27S, 32S, 32SII, 42S (sold)
Charlemagne: 38G. 48S, 48SX (Sold), 48G, 48G+, 48GX (Sold)
Palmtop: 95LX512KB

John Edry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2021, 12:44 AM
RE: My Calculator Collection - preparring them for sale
A 20+ yo NiCad battery might look like an open circuit leading to damage for some of the calculators. Buying an appropriate new battery pack for each series on eBay (seller waterhosko) wouldn't be terribly expensive for the peace of mind it provides. The Classics are generally OK without the battery, except the 65 & 67. The rest could be rendered paperweights!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-17-2021, 01:05 AM
I would think that NiCads that had been sitting around for 20+ year have most likely all gone bad. Never use the AC charger with any Woodstock or Spice models. Even with known good batteries the risk of damage is too great. All it takes is a momentary poor connection to damage the machine (especially Woodstock models). Use new flat top rechargeable batteries and charge them with an external charger.

While you can generally run the Classics on their AC chargers without batteries installed, you can't use the card readers or printers on models that have them without good batteries installed. The owner handbooks for the HP-65 and HP-67 say to always have (good) batteries installed when using the charger.

On the Pioneer and Charlemagne models, if they don't power up with new batteries try pressing on the bezel between the LCD and top row of keys while turning it on. Do the same if some of the keys don't work. The foam pressing the flat keyboard flex cable to the main PCB can harden over time causing keyboard issues. There are also other methods of troubleshooting Pioneer models that will not turn on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2021, 02:56 AM
It sounds like I shouldn't use ANY of the AC Chargers. Is there any way to test them?

The eBay seller waterhosko does have batteries and chargers for the Classics and Spice models, but not for the Woodstock models (1 piece molded with 2 batteries) - or am I not seeing everything?

John Edry
07-17-2021, 05:01 AM
If you still have the Woodstock battery packs they are very easy to rebuild. Just use a razor knife to cut through the thin plastic bar between the batteries on the end closest to the battery opening on the pack. You can then push it aside gently and pull the batteries out one at a time. You can buy new flat top AA NiCad batteries, charge them with an external charger and slip them into the pack. Be sure to observe the correct polarity as shown in the following picture.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/batts/batt20.jpg

The Spice battery packs are just as easy to rebuild. Simply remove the clip around the batteries and replace them with new flat top NiCads that you charged with an external charger. See the Spice section of the following link for battery polarity and more information. It also has rebuilding information for other model HP calculators.
https://www.keesvandersanden.nl/calculat...teries.php
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-18-2021, 02:13 AM
(07-16-2021 08:36 PM)jeejohn Wrote:  I have a bunch of HP (& TI) calculators that I bought some 20+ years ago that I am getting ready to sell.

What I have (HP):
Voyager: 15C
Handheld computers: 71B (2).

Dear Mr. Edry,
What are you asking for the HP-15C? Do you also have accessories for the HP-71B? Sincerely, Karel.

I use HP-16C, WP-34S emulator, HP-35s, HP-48GX, HP-50g, and HP Prime G2.
07-18-2021, 12:06 PM
Hello, how much are you asking for the 29C? Also, do you have any accessories, application pacs or users libraries for the 67 as well?

Thanks in advance.

Cesar Basso
07-19-2021, 05:50 AM
I would have interest in the other 29C, or the 34C, or the 67.

Which TI calculators do you have?
07-19-2021, 02:16 PM
I am interested in the 32C.
Thanks.
08-23-2021, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 08:20 PM by jeejohn.)
RE: My Calculator Collection - preparing them for sale
Updating the original Post as to what I have left and ALL are in working condition:

Classic/Topcat: 35 (Sold), 45, 65, 80, 97. No cases, except for the 65 which has a case and the Owner's Handbook. The card readers on the 65 & 97 are assumed to not work. The 97 printer works, although the paper feed does slip somewhat.

Woodstock: 21
Both the 19C and 29C including the books have been SOLD.

Spice/Spike: 32E (2), 33E, 34C, 38E. All have soft cases. The 38E has a loose battery door. One of the 32E was new in open box (still have the box), but not with the original battery (has a battery that was reworked with newer but now old batteries) or charger, that is, it has the Soft case, "Owner's Manual" and "Solving Problems With Your HP Calculator" in a like new condition.

Voyager: 15C. Included Voyager series soft case and Owner's handbook.

Others: Handheld computers: 75D with 64KB (#HP82718A) case.
Clamshells: 28C, 28S (Sold). Includes soft case, Owner's & Reference Manuals for each. The 28S battery door is a little loose.
Pioneers: 14B, 17B, 20S (2), 21S, 27S, 32S, 32SII, 42S (Sold). All are in excellent, like new condition. All with soft cases, except one of the 20S. Manuals for the 14B, 20S, 22S, 32S II, and 42S. There appears to be spiral bound photocopied manuals for the 21S and 27S. Photocopied manual for the 32S. The 42S also has a book: An Easy Course in Using the HP-42S (Sold).

Photos are available upon request.

John

John Edry
08-24-2021, 04:59 PM
I would love to buy the 29C. I do not need the books as I already have a 19C but if you have the little Quick Reference Card.

Thanks

Michel
08-28-2021, 06:20 AM
(08-23-2021 07:30 PM)jeejohn Wrote:  Updating the original Post as to what I have left and ALL are in working condition:

Classic/Topcat: 35, 45, 65, 80, 97. No cases, except for the 65 which has a case and the Owner's Handbook. The card readers on the 65 & 97 are assumed to not work. The 97 printer works, although the paper feed does slip somewhat.

Woodstock: 21
Both the 19C and 29C including the books have been SOLD.

Spice/Spike: 32E (2), 33E, 34C, 38E. All have soft cases. The 38E has a loose battery door. One of the 32E was new in open box (still have the box), but not with the original battery (has a battery that was reworked with newer but now old batteries) or charger, that is, it has the Soft case, "Owner's Manual" and "Solving Problems With Your HP Calculator" in a like new condition.

Voyager: 15C. Included Voyager series soft case and Owner's handbook.

Others: Handheld computers: 75D with 64KB (#HP82718A) case.
Clamshells: 28C, 28S. Includes soft case, Owner's & Reference Manuals for each. The 28S battery door is a little loose.
Pioneers: 14B, 17B, 20S (2), 21S, 27S, 32S, 32SII, 42S. All are in excellent, like new condition. All with soft cases, except one of the 20S. Manuals for the 14B, 20S, 22S, 32S II, and 42S. There appears to be spiral bound photocopied manuals for the 21S and 27S. Photocopied manual for the 32S. The 42S also has a book: An Easy Course in Using the HP-42S.

Photos are available upon request.

John
I would like that 75D, PM me pleaseā€¦
08-28-2021, 10:26 PM
Hello John,

I send a PM regarding a subset of your collection.

Thank you,

Sara

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)