definitive list of cases for each model calculator
01-05-2024, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2024 10:10 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
RE: definitive list of cases for each model calculator
(01-05-2024 09:13 AM)dmh Wrote:  Just wondering if the list can distinguish between real leather and faux leather / pleather?

For example, the original 50G case is listed as leather but given how quickly and badly they deteriorate I'm pretty confident they aren't actually leather.

Are all the classic casses listed as leather actually leather (more likely they are)?

Hi, the only leather cases listed in the pdf which may not be made of real leather are the ones for the 49g+ and the 50g, which I don’t have. The other ones listed in the document are real leather as far as I know.

I’ve came across a reference to a leather case available as an option for the 49g under the PN# F1690A. It is listed in this hp document: HP 49G, under Accessories, as HP Leather Calculator Pouch (F1690A).

I don’t know if it was also shipped with the 49g+ and/or 50g or available as an accessory for these models nor how long it was sold.

So if anybody can provide details about the real/faux leather cases that were shipped or available as accessories for the HP 49G, 49g+ and 50g, including pictures I will update the pdf.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2024, 03:57 PM
(01-05-2024 10:08 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  So if anybody can provide details about the real/faux leather cases that were shipped or available as accessories for the HP 49G, 49g+ and 50g, including pictures I will update the pdf.

It's not real leather. It's a fake synthetic leather sometimes called "PU Leather" or "Polyurethane Leather". The photos you already have are sufficient, and to my knowledge represent all the case designs provided by HP for the 49g+ and 50g. The 49G did not have a soft case; it was shipped with a hard plastic slipcover. Production models of the 49G had a light blue translucent plastic cover and prototype models had a dark blue translucent plastic cover.

The slip cases used in the later Voyager models, such as the "smooth" and "grainy" ones you already listed, are also made of PU leather.

I have examples of all of the above cases that have started disintegrating, as PU "leather" tends to do after a decade or so. The synthetic leather-like coating debonds from the fabric base.

Also, while not specified as leather or not in your document, I'm pretty sure all the later leather-like Pioneer cases are PU leather as well but I can't confirm that.

Finally, there is one case you have not yet listed. The 15c Collector's Edition has yet another case design, which is also PU leather but is even more grainy than the earlier "grainy" one you have already listed and also somewhat thinner. I don't know if this case is used on any other models. I have photographed it here: https://commerce.hpcalc.org/images/15c-c...medium.jpg
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2024, 08:21 PM
Congratulation for this amazing collection!

And thanks for sharing, Didier.
01-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Anyone ever seen a #2763 HP 48 leather desk (Educalc) in real life?
01-05-2024, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2024 09:42 PM by gwh.)
Oh, the perfect place to mention something I found lately Smile

Did you know that the hard plastic cover of the Prime fits perfectly onto a 48?

It's almost like it was designed for it I'm curious to know if it's a complete coincidence or not.
01-06-2024, 01:54 AM
(01-05-2024 09:41 PM)gwh Wrote:  Did you know that the hard plastic cover of the Prime fits perfectly onto a 48?

It's almost like it was designed for it I'm curious to know if it's a complete coincidence or not.

I believe this is a coincidence, but I agree, it does feel like it was made to do this perfectly. Huh

However what is truly amazing is that no one seems to have discovered this, or at least not reported this, until now, more than 10 years after the Prime was formally introduced.

Well done! Smile

--Bob Prosperi
01-06-2024, 06:38 PM
(01-06-2024 01:54 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 09:41 PM)gwh Wrote:  Did you know that the hard plastic cover of the Prime fits perfectly onto a 48?

I believe this is a coincidence, but I agree, it does feel like it was made to do this perfectly. Huh

However what is truly amazing is that no one seems to have discovered this, or at least not reported this, until now, more than 10 years after the Prime was formally introduced.

Well done! Smile
I find amazing the exact opposite - that someone has discovered this :-) I’d really like to learn the thought process leading to the discovery!
01-10-2024, 09:48 AM
(01-06-2024 06:38 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  
(01-06-2024 01:54 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  I believe this is a coincidence, but I agree, it does feel like it was made to do this perfectly. Huh

Well done! Smile
I find amazing the exact opposite - that someone has discovered this :-) I’d really like to learn the thought process leading to the discovery!

Too many calculators on hand. I think I was wondering what to do with a screen-donor 40G (can't really throw it away!), saw its hard plastic cover, wondered if it'd fit a 48, it didn't, "Oh the Prime has a hard cover too, what if?…" Tada!
01-10-2024, 11:04 AM
(01-10-2024 09:48 AM)gwh Wrote:  Too many calculators on hand. I think I was wondering what to do with a screen-donor 40G (can't really throw it away!), saw its hard plastic cover, wondered if it'd fit a 48, it didn't, "Oh the Prime has a hard cover too, what if?…" Tada!
Well, just a couple of days ago I fiddled with several 48s few centimeters from a Prime sitting on a charging cable and ... nothing. That's the difference between the great minds and us, unwashed masses :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)