Retrotronik RAM card for HP 48GX
07-15-2021, 02:55 PM
RE: Retrotronik RAM card for HP 48GX
I have received one of the correct Retrotronik RAM cards and can happily recommend it for purchase and use. This card has the correct (thinner) shell and I had no issues at all during testing and use.

Specifically, I checked and verified the following:

Retrotronik (R) Card inserts into both 48GX slots with no problem

R Card inserts into both 48SX slots with no problem

R Card can be inserted into both slots 1 & 2 in 48GX with another card already installed

Another card can be inserted into both slots 1 & 2 with R Card already installed

Data can be written to and then read back from the R Card as expected

Data is retained in the R Card when removed from a machine and later reinstalled

When checking in slot-1 with [ON]+[F4] on a 48GX, system displays hash screen (I believe this represents the bits in R Card’s memory, bit=on -> pixel=on, etc.), then reports “RAM2 90000”, which is the exact same behavior I see for a known, tested RAM card.

When checking in slot-2 with [ON]+[F4] on a 48GX, system reports “RAM2 OK 128K”

When checking in slot-1 with [ON]+[F4] on a 48SX, system reports “RAM1 OK 128K”

When checking in slot-2 with [ON]+[F4] on a 48SX, system reports “RAM2 OK 128K”

Big thanks to João for his friendly communication and actions to promptly halt sales until corrective action was confirmed, quickly asses and correct the problem, and dispatch a unit for independent confirmation.

It’s great to see another new member and vendor, expanding and extending the life of these machines!

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2021, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 08:24 PM by Jonathan Busby.)
(07-02-2021 06:56 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(07-01-2021 10:01 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  4 MB cards mostly function but have a problem with the last port, so they generally aren't recommended.

Does anybody remember (or have a link to) what the Port 33 Bug was, exactly? I vaguely remember that Port 33 will actually exist (if you have a 4 MB card in slot 2 of a 48 GX), but that it misbehaves in some nasty way. Any info in that regard would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

See post #7 here in the forum archives.

Quote:Related question: Is there any way of write-protecting ONLY Port 33, so as to avoid getting bitten by the Port 33 Bug?

AFAIK, it would have to be done on the hardware level on the card, and I know several ways of doing it, but I don't think it would be very helpful unless you want to roll your own RAM card.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
07-31-2021, 11:50 AM
Hello.

Just stopping by to announce that we will resume sales on the 128kB card this next week.
So, feel free to contact through the website's form or email if you are interested and/or have any question (contacts are on the website).

About the 1MB and 2MB cards, we expect to have them available in late August.

Again, thank you all for your great feedback and care.

João
https://retrotronik.com
08-01-2021, 11:31 AM
(07-31-2021 11:50 AM)jcrbarbosa Wrote:  About the 1MB and 2MB cards, we expect to have them available in late August.

Cristiana has promised to let me know when they are again available. I'll definitely be ordering at least two 2MB cards.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
08-01-2021, 12:10 PM
Just to let you all know that I reordered a Retrotronik 128K RAM card. Shipment was again very fast, only 4 days after payment (international registered package in Europe).

Everything went fine with the card. I did the same tests as Bob (also with different HP48 ROM versions) and it works perfectly. Also, the card can be easily inserted and removed, together or not with other official and/or custom made cards.
08-04-2022, 12:45 PM
I already have a 1mb card for my 48GX (and this is more that enough for me) but I really want a 128k card to split my Port 0 (SpeedUI) load, and Samson Cables charge a huge premium for 128k cards (it works out at cira £200 with duties, courier etc), so I'm wondering how folk have got on with these Retrotronik cards?

It appears on the website that new stock on the 1-4Mb cards will be happening cira late August (although that might be an old 2021 message), but there's nothing mentioned ref the 128k cards.

I did send a couple of PM's to the vendor but got no reply so I'm also hoping that @jcrbarbosa will see this post here and will be able to provide updated info in this thread.

@rprosperi, I'm specifically interested in your feedback (if possible), as I know you make heavy use of your 48's.
08-04-2022, 01:35 PM
(08-04-2022 12:45 PM)jonmoore Wrote:  It appears on the website that new stock on the 1-4Mb cards will be happening cira late August (although that might be an old 2021 message), but there's nothing mentioned ref the 128k cards.

The project would appear to be abandoned altogether.

I followed changes on the website until maybe April or May this year and the cards I wanted (2MB) never became available. All the 128KB cards are out of stock now. I have no reason to think any will ever become available again via this route, which is a pity.

Current daily driver: HP 71B w/FRAM 71B
08-04-2022, 05:46 PM
I have 2 of the 128K cards and have had no problems at all with either, using them in both 48SX and 48GX machines (more than one of each).

I have not checked-in with the seller in a couple months, but last I heard there were some delays on the 1MB and 2MB cards, due to COVID, affecting both his family and also suppliers. I'm not sure of the current status, but I'll try to prod him for a project update and some availability dates.

--Bob Prosperi
08-05-2022, 07:09 AM
(08-04-2022 05:46 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I have 2 of the 128K cards and have had no problems at all with either, using them in both 48SX and 48GX machines (more than one of each).

I have not checked-in with the seller in a couple months, but last I heard there were some delays on the 1MB and 2MB cards, due to COVID, affecting both his family and also suppliers. I'm not sure of the current status, but I'll try to prod him for a project update and some availability dates.

Thanks Bob, that's good to hear. And yes please, a gentle prod will be most welcome.
08-10-2022, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2022 08:32 AM by jonmoore.)
(07-14-2021 08:36 AM)jcrbarbosa Wrote:  Hello.

Thank you all for your interest and feedback on Retrotronik products.
Unfortunately, a small batch of 5 cards was sold from which at least 2 cards shells were manufactured using a wrong (older) printing file.
Because of this, sales are suspended until we can make sure this will not happen again and until we have complete and perfect feedback from both buyers and testers.
We’re getting good feedback so far, so I’m confident we will resume sales soon.

I want to thank Bob and Kiwi for their positive attitude, care, and availability.

Once we have any news on the sales, we'll announce it here.
Meanwhile, feel free to ask any questions about the products or to make any suggestions.

João

Thanks for the detailed update João. Much as I only require a 128k card, I will probably purchase a larger card too once you have production up and running again.

The main reason I don't use cards larger than 1Mb is that I currently have a preference for Filer48 as my device browser as this makes use of covered ports no different than using a typical desktop file/folder explorer. It also integrates well with SpeedUI as it uses some of SpeedUI's 'technical plumbing', which means that the overall storage utilistion is reasonably efficient. Unfortunately it doesn't function with Port 2 storage lager than 1Mb, and it has to be installed to Port 0 or Port 1.

All of this is academic as I currently have to swap between SpeedUI's matrix utilility and Filer48 as having both loaded with the rest of my SpeedUI modules in Port 0 only leaves approx 30k of OS RAM, hence my my need for a 128k card for Port 1.

The reason I'm providing this use-case information is in the hope that you're not priortising larger format cards over the 128k cards (as I suspect these are the bigger seller). For power users, a 128k card in Port 1 is essential if you want to use Meta Kernal or SpeedUI. And using a 48 without either of these OS options is akin to swimming in a pool of honey! Smile
08-10-2022, 08:43 AM
(08-10-2022 08:31 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed update João.

Just to keep things in context, the "detailed update" you're replying to was from over a year ago. We've heard nothing from him since TTBOMK.

08-10-2022, 08:53 AM
(08-10-2022 08:43 AM)RPNerd Wrote:  
(08-10-2022 08:31 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed update João.

Just to keep things in context, the "detailed update" you're replying to was from over a year ago. We've heard nothing from him since TTBOMK.

Thanks. I searched for any replies since my reply to Bob, and obviously didn't pay attention to the date of João's post.

I'll wait till the end of August in the hope that João is still going forward with his memory card business. At that point I'll explore building my own card using the instructions posted on hpcalc.org (I have a 3d printer, and hopefully enough rudimentary electronics knowledge to tackle the project). Failing that, paying an inflated price for a 128k card from Samson's Cables may (sadly) be my only option.
08-16-2022, 01:50 PM
I've heard back from the Retrotronik developer (after summer vacation time) and he has confirmed the products are definitely not abandoned or anything similar, the products have simply been delayed by both personal and supply chain issues.

There will indeed be more 128K cards as well as 1MB and 2MB cards as well. When he can comit to a firm schedule, he will post here in this thread with estimated dates for availability.

So, while later than many of us would like, these cards are definitely forthcoming and economical RAM cards for the 48SX and 48GX will be available at last.

--Bob Prosperi
08-16-2022, 03:29 PM
(08-16-2022 01:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There will indeed be more 128K cards as well as 1MB and 2MB cards

Thanks for the update, Bob. That's good to know.

08-16-2022, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the update Bob.

Really glad to hear the project is still alive and that 128k cards will be part of the offering.
08-19-2022, 03:30 AM
Also waiting for a new batch of these cards, hope there will be sufficient quantity for everybody and the price stay almmost the same.
128k card will be my first and prefered choice ...
So i subscribed to this thread.
11-18-2022, 11:24 PM
Anyone have any updates?

I tried messaging João through the Retrotronik site and through email over the past few weeks, but I've yet to hear a response.
04-30-2023, 09:28 PM
I just received a newsletter in my email today from RetroTronik (see below). It announced that they now have stock again of their 128kB (€40.00)and 1MB RAM (€65.00) cards for HP48GX and HP48SX calculators. In their store, they appear to have a small number 128kB or 1MB cards available depending on the housing color. If they indicate out of stock on the card you click on, choose a different color. They are still showing out of stock on their 2MB cards.

https://retrotronik.com/shop/

Newsletter contents:
====================================================
Just arrived!
Hello HP48 lovers!

We hope this message finds you well. We have some news to share ?

? New Batch of RAM Cards for HP48GX and HP48SX Calculators ?

We're thrilled to announce that we're restocking our 128kB and 1MB RAM cards for your beloved HP48GX and HP48SX calculators!

Order Now!
Compatibility note: HP48SX calculator is compatible with 128kB cards only. HP48GX can use 128kB cards and 1MB cards (in port 2).

Thank you for your support! ?

Best Regards,

The RetroTronik Team
? sales@retrotronik.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2023, 10:16 PM
Indeed the 128KB and 1MB cards are now available in qty and are far less expensive than buying vintage cards on eBay, etc. I was waiting for the email but Steve is even more hair-trigger than I am... not easy

I've use Retrotronic 128KB RAM cards for for well over a year and a 1MB card for about a month, including reading, writing, initializing, not writing (when write-protect switch is set), erasing, etc. etc. and have no issues at all.

Recommended for all 48SX and 48GX owners!!

--Bob Prosperi
05-02-2023, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2023 04:20 PM by jonmoore.)
By happenstance I came across the RetroTronik link in my 48 bookmarks today, whilst looking for something else; and thought to myself, could this be the day the I finely score a replacement128k card. I hadn't expected the answer to be affirmative! Happy days indeed...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)