HP 71B RAM: has anybody big ones to sell?
06-21-2021, 08:05 PM
RE: HP 71B RAM: has anybody big ones to sell?
Hi,

Thanks for checking. That one (which I nicknarmed "Computer Wonderland") is currently in the archive right now. Based on which HP calcs were inside, it was determined to be from 1993 and it fell between #28 (also from '93) and #29 (from '94). I currently have all the EduCALC catalogs between #5 and #75 with the exception of #9 and #13. Boy, would I love to find those :-)

Thanks,
Jake
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2021, 02:47 PM
(06-21-2021 07:25 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  ... I liked Elek-Tek's prices, but otherwise favored EduCALC. I think the only thing I bought at Elek-Tek was my first 71 (and that was a lot of money back then!). When I realized I should have kept more catalogs, it was too late. They had been thrown out. Fortunately I did keep a few EduCALC catalogs.

I also bought my 71 (and many $$$ accessories) from Elek-Tek, in person. Their headquarters (near Chicago) was only a few miles from where I lived. Unfortunately I never saved any Elek-Tek or EduCalc catalogs. Sad
06-23-2021, 07:16 PM
Re: Elek-Tek:

Richard Nelson frequently told the story of how when he worked for EduCALC, he was once in Chicago and visited Elek-Tek. For some reason, he walked outside and adjacent to Elek-Tek, found another business and took pictures of the front of it. Later, Richard discovered that this other business was a calculator distributor who happened to be owned and run by the Elek-Tek folks. Disturbed that they were able to charge such low HP prices (as compared to EduCALC) due to the fact that they effectively skipped a middleman by distributing to themselves, Richard complained to HP. Ultimately, HP explained that this "problem" was of a monetary size which fell in between the financial responsibility levels of two HP financial people and as a result, ended up being ignored. Kinda sad.

Thanks,
Jake

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)