Prime Hardware Version C - current or outdated?
06-11-2021, 10:04 AM
Prime Hardware Version C - current or outdated?
Yesterday I received two discounted Primes from the distributor in the Czech Repuplic (about 50€, but without battery).

I am not up-to-date concerning the revisions of the Prime hardware.
I own an early one, which I understand is not updatable to the current firmware (e.g. Python)

The new ones give me this version information:

HP Prime Graphing CalculatorSoftware Version: 2016 08 29 (10637)
Hardware Version. C
CAS Version 1.1.2-11
Serial Number: 3CD617010S
Operating System: V0.048.635
(c) HP Development Company, L. P.

The software itself sems to be quite old, so I a asking myself which "generation" of the Prime is this?

Can I safely flash the current development version onto this hardware?

Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2021, 11:59 AM
RE: Prime Hardware Version C - current or outdated?
(06-11-2021 10:04 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  HP Prime Graphing CalculatorSoftware Version: 2016 08 29 (10637)
Hardware Version. C
CAS Version 1.1.2-11
Serial Number: 3CD617010S
Operating System: V0.048.635
(c) HP Development Company, L. P.

The software itself sems to be quite old, so I a asking myself which "generation" of the Prime is this?

Can I safely flash the current development version onto this hardware?

Martin

I loaded the latest beta onto the very first version, HW A. It works fine as far as I can tell. Of course pre-D (or is it C?) calculators have no wireless capability and are slower than D but they work.

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Hardware versions A & C (there was no B) are both "G1" (Generation 1 I suppose), while Version D is a "G2" machine (the latest).

Version A does not support wireless while C & D do.

Version A and early version C machines had the original, very low contrast color scheme on the keyboard, while later C machines have the improved scheme with much darker blue and different colored digit keys.

The latest BETA s/w releases can be used on all machines (including Python Support) though you must install the appropriate (G1 or G2) version.

G2 machines have much more RAM and Flash and are about 3 times faster, which is why the older (even if "new") G1 machines are usually much cheaper.

Even though those are G1 machines, you still got a good price, but to really exploit and use all a Prime can be, you should obtain a G2 model.

--Bob Prosperi
06-12-2021, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2021 07:00 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
Thank you for your replies!

My first Prime is an "A" and the "new" ones are "C". I noticed that the color scheme is almost identical to the "A". So I will still keep an eye on a "D".

But in the meantime I will install the last Beta to explore Python on the Prime.
I am not a hardcore Python evangelist, but seeing Python on so many platforms makes it far more attractive, compared to any special language which I can only ose on the Prime. "Learn once, run everywhere...".
But I better not wait for FORTRAN on the Prime ;-)

Martin
06-12-2021, 07:01 AM
(06-12-2021 06:57 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Thank you for your replies!

My first Prime is an "A" and the "new" ones are "C". I noticed that the color scheme is almost identical to the "A". So I will still keep an eye on a "D".

Martin
Hardware "D": They are available new e.g. from https://www.dynatech.de/hp-prime-cas-grafikrechner.html
06-12-2021, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2021 07:21 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
Thank you - it is difficult to be sure what you get as these changes are not visible from the outside.

Maybe HP can add a visible indicator (e.g. a "red dot") if ever a next hardware release "E" will be produced so that one can identify it from looking at pictures in web stores.
But that will not please dealers with larger old stock. Only the larger outlets with a certain turn over will have "fresh" systems (like the company mentioned above).

Martin
06-12-2021, 12:47 PM
The G2 units are in fact marked with a "G2", but it's small and only on the back, typically not seen in retail ads, etc.

This thread explains it well, and includes other details about G1/G2 differences.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-12794.html

--Bob Prosperi
06-12-2021, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2021 07:31 PM by Guenter Schink.)
(06-12-2021 07:20 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Thank you - it is difficult to be sure what you get as these changes are not visible from the outside.

Maybe HP can add a visible indicator (e.g. a "red dot") if ever a next hardware release "E" will be produced so that one can identify it from looking at pictures in web stores.
But that will not please dealers with larger old stock. Only the larger outlets with a certain turn over will have "fresh" systems (like the company mentioned above).

Martin

Dynatech lists the specs of the Prime. And there it says 256MB RAM and 512 MB Flash, thus it's a G2. And you know costumers rights in Germany, don't you Smile

Günter

Edit: Typo
06-14-2021, 07:18 PM
How can I buy the real calculator with latest hardware from the seller without cheating (in 2021.06)? Give us detailed instructions. Any latest version of HP-Prime_Pro can be downloaded for free perpetual use at some resources (but I like the old version 14346). What is the situation with buying a real calculator in 2021?
06-14-2021, 10:12 PM
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-prime-handheld-graphing-calculator-black/6348951.p?skuId=6348951

This is definitely a G2 Prime.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)