Mathematics has a terrible failure
06-07-2021, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 08:40 PM by compsystems.)
Mathematics has a terrible failure
Veritasium video.
eng: game of live

spn: juego de la vida
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRg38oNQ9vk

What do you think of the video content?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2021, 05:26 PM
RE: Mathematics has a terrible failure
Terrible failure? Or infinite realms of discovery?

For those interested in this, I highly recommend Doug Hofstadter's "Godel, Escher, Bach".

So many signals, so little bandwidth!
06-07-2021, 08:58 PM
(06-07-2021 05:26 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Terrible failure? Or infinite realms of discovery?

For those interested in this, I highly recommend Doug Hofstadter's "Godel, Escher, Bach".

It's an exceedingly good book.

— Ian Abbott
06-07-2021, 09:21 PM
I find his videos are quite good, though occasionally they run on a bit longer than they should.

For those interested in such things, this video was only released on 22 May of this year, yet as of today has been viewed > 5.7 Million times, and earned the author > $100k.

While I'm sure he only makes these videos for intellectual satisfaction, that's a boatload of satisfaction...

--Bob Prosperi
06-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Hello!

(06-07-2021 09:21 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  While I'm sure he only makes these videos for intellectual satisfaction, that's a boatload of satisfaction..

Derek Muller is currently the best in the trade of "science explainers" (those who are not convinced or don't know him yet should watch his evening-long documentary on Uranium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_%E...n%27s_Tail ) - and not by pure chance but because he wrote his ph.d. thesis about "Designing Effective Multimedia for Physics Education".

And if his YouTube videos really earn him that much money I think he deserves it. Only today I read that Bruce Willis gets paid 3M$ for ten minute appearances in straight-to-DVD B-movies - not to mention what some sports stars are paid every minute... I rather spend my time watching the Veritasium channel on YouTube!

Regards
Max
06-07-2021, 10:00 PM
In Germany, good science shows ceased to exist long ago and were presumably not cheaper. Veritasium stepped in with a program much better than anything I've seen before. This guy is worth every single Penny.

Forget about his earning and enjoy the show.
06-08-2021, 12:41 PM
I agree with both of you, his videos are better than any others I've seen, and he indeed deserves all that YT can pay him. My point, which it seems I missed making, is that such excellence should be well rewarded. I hope he continues... Smile

--Bob Prosperi
07-01-2021, 10:52 PM
(06-08-2021 12:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I agree with both of you, his videos are better than any others I've seen, and he indeed deserves all that YT can pay him.

He just won a $10,000 bet Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)