Any TI Titanium users? Help with connectivity
05-27-2021, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 05:21 PM by harryp.)
Any TI Titanium users? Help with connectivity
I recently got a TI89 Titanium, had one years ago and gave it away, was surprised it was still in the line. I cannot get the TI Connect software to work with it. The black cable that came with the calc was nicked, the braiding was visible. I got another black cable and now I'm trying the silver cable. It shows connected to the PC. TI Connect software runs but when you try to use one of the apps it just eventually times out and goes 'not responding.' Any suggestions. I'm using Windows 10 (64).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2021, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 06:33 PM by trojdor.)
RE: Any TI Titanium users? Help with connectivity
The 89-TI cable is just a standard mini-usb data cable.
I've seen a few cheap mini-usb cables over the years that were been made as 'charging-only' cables, and won't support data transfer....but that's an exception.
Make sure you download the right version of TI connect, and make sure the calculator is on when you try to connect.

ENTER > =
05-27-2021, 07:12 PM
Yeah, done all that. The TI troubleshooting information page lists drivers, there's supposed to be a Drivers File under TI Education folder but there is no folder like that. Bouncing around the web I found a 3rd party page that offered drivers for the TI89, but I held off doing that.
05-27-2021, 08:50 PM
I think the TI-Connect 4.0.0.218 software comes with the TI EHD USB drivers used to connect to the calculator through the Mini-USB port, and the USB SilverLink drivers used to connect through the SilverLink cable. (At least I don't remember installing drivers separately....)

You can check if the driver packages are installed by looking at the "Programs and Features" control panel page (appwiz.cpl). It should list the following items:
  • Windows Driver Package - Texas Instruments Inc. (SilvrLnk) (06/11/2009 1.0.0.0)
  • Windows Driver Package - Texas Instruments Inc. (TIEHDUSB) (09/02/2009 1.0.0.1)

(maybe the date would be displayed differently).

When you plug in the calculator via the Mini-USB the first time, it should get installed in Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as a "TI Educational Handheld Device". Under "Details", the "Hardware IDs" property should show:

Code:
USB\VID_0451&PID_E004&REV_0300
USB\VID_0451&PID_E004

— Ian Abbott
05-27-2021, 09:45 PM
K, you're right, the listings are in the Programs and Features. Here's what it shows in device manager, <attachment>

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-27-2021, 10:19 PM
Here's what it looks like in device manager with the silverlink cable connected.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-28-2021, 07:45 AM
So with the Mini-USB link, it is not showing up in Device Manager as expected. If it shows up in the "Unknown Devices" section with an exclamation mark, delete that unknown device in Device Manager, unplug the calculator and reattach.

If nothing shows up in Device Manager when plugged in via the Mini-USB cable, it could be a bad cable or a mangled Mini-USB socket, a dry solder joint, or some failed electronic component.

— Ian Abbott
05-28-2021, 05:54 PM
Well, the cables are good. The computer sees the calculator. It may be a problem in the calc in that it is only working one way. Well, I tried. The calc works fine so that's the main thing. I appreciate the information.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)