New HP16C simulator: Test Drive
05-05-2021, 08:11 PM
New HP16C simulator: Test Drive
Hi all,

I'm putting some final cosmetic touches on a new HP16C simulator that I'm planning to give away (with source). It will be on the mobile platforms, desktop, and web. Would anyone here care to give it a test drive?

You can run it at https://new.jrpn.jovial.com/

I'm particularly interested in having some of the finer points of stack lift, and the C and G flags checked out. That goes double for unsigned and 1's complement mode. AFAIK it's fine, but it's always good to get another set of eyes on this sort of thing!

One fun program you can load from the website is Towers of Hanoi. I'd be happy to put some other program samples up there, if referred to the source (or if someone wants to type them in and share the link with me!).

Here's a screenshot:
[Image: screen_shot.png]

(Note that when I release this, I'll take the "new." out of the URL).

Cheers,

Bill
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2021, 07:12 AM
RE: New HP16C simulator: Test Drive
Great to see it! I don't have a 16C or know it well enough to test drive, although I did briefly use one at work.

In float mode it looks like it does the expected decimal arithmetic
Code:
4 enter
3 divide
1 minus
3 times
1 minus
gives -1E-9 which is I think the right answer.

Umm, but how do I get out of Error 6 mode? I'd hoped the On button would act as a clear.
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2021, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2021 03:16 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Out of curiosity, what's with the Jupiter logo?

Edit: Okay, Jovial. Still on first cup of coffee.
05-06-2021, 03:48 PM
(05-06-2021 07:12 AM)EdS2 Wrote:  Umm, but how do I get out of Error 6 mode? I'd hoped the On button would act as a clear.

Thanks! Fixed. (BTW, It was actually just a bit of debug code getting in the way)
05-06-2021, 03:50 PM
(05-06-2021 03:11 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what's with the Jupiter logo?

Named after the computer language my parents were both involved with in 1961! (see the top-level domain, jovial.com).
05-06-2021, 05:46 PM
It looks very nice and interesting. I will try to do some testing, but my schedules are terrible...

I saw Flutter is available for iOS, would you plan to offer iPhone and Android versions of this app?

Thank you in advance

Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)

Please disregard idiomatic mistakes.
My posts are mostly from old memories, not from current research.
05-06-2021, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2021 08:03 PM by OlidaBel.)
Very beautiful emulator, bravo!
I can’t use a 16C but the screen, keys and flashing running are well nice to see working (Voyager good memories) ;-)

---
HP 48GX, Prime G2, 50G, 28S, 15c CE. SwissMicros DM42, DM15L
A long time ago : 11C, 15C, 28C.
05-06-2021, 08:24 PM
(05-06-2021 03:50 PM)billf Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 03:11 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what's with the Jupiter logo?

Named after the computer language my parents were both involved with in 1961! (see the top-level domain, jovial.com).

Great back story, and the simulated 16C looks excellent too!

— Ian Abbott
05-07-2021, 06:01 AM
(05-06-2021 03:50 PM)billf Wrote:  Named after the computer language my parents were both involved with in 1961! (see the top-level domain, jovial.com).

1961 would have been around the time that the FAA was using Jovial to develop NAS, the National Airspace System, the first automation of the nation's air traffic control system. That Jovial code was still running in the late 1980's when I worked on it. Talk about a long shelf-life!
05-10-2021, 05:47 PM
(05-06-2021 05:46 PM)Andres Wrote:  It looks very nice and interesting. I will try to do some testing, but my schedules are terrible...

I saw Flutter is available for iOS, would you plan to offer iPhone and Android versions of this app?

Thank you in advance

Hi Andres,

Android, definitely -- and I'll be publishing this week.

For iOS, it works great on the simulator. I'm actually using a new Mac Mini as my primary computer these days. However, distribution through the app store is another matter.

If I can find someone with an Apple Developer account, I'd be delighted to give them a credit, and tell them the steps to grab the code from github and compile with the Flutter environment. For someone familiar with XCode, the whole process should be under an hour, plus whatever bureaucratic hurdles Apple has for their app store.

I'm not quite willing to pay Apple $100/year for the privilege of giving away software :-) Also, I don't have a physical iPhone, and the way Apple has their dev environment locked down, I'd have to borrow someone's phone to even create a signing profile and do a (debug) build.

So... Know anyone with a paid Apple Developer account? It really is just a matter of downloading the Flutter environment, typing `flutter build ios --release`, following the instructions to set up the signing profile in XCode, then typing `flutter build ios --release` again and uploading.
05-10-2021, 05:57 PM
(05-07-2021 06:01 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 03:50 PM)billf Wrote:  Named after the computer language my parents were both involved with in 1961! (see the top-level domain, jovial.com).

1961 would have been around the time that the FAA was using Jovial to develop NAS, the National Airspace System, the first automation of the nation's air traffic control system. That Jovial code was still running in the late 1980's when I worked on it. Talk about a long shelf-life!

COMPOOL FTW! My dad was recruited to SDC to work on the three-person JOVIAL team at SDC - that's why he moved to California. I guess his first JOVIAL programming would have been in 1958, or possibly 1959. I think my mother was working on that air traffic control system - her resume says "... experimental programs for air traffic control ..." under 1961-1963. So it got deployed? I actually didn't know that. Thanks!
05-11-2021, 12:22 AM
(05-10-2021 05:57 PM)billf Wrote:  COMPOOL FTW! My dad was recruited to SDC to work on the three-person JOVIAL team at SDC - that's why he moved to California. I guess his first JOVIAL programming would have been in 1958, or possibly 1959. I think my mother was working on that air traffic control system - her resume says "... experimental programs for air traffic control ..." under 1961-1963. So it got deployed? I actually didn't know that. Thanks!

The people (IBM and subcontractors) that built the enroute air traffic control software in the early 1960's made a remarkable achievement. They answered the question "how do I design, build, and deploy a single software system for 21 unique air traffic control centers and at the same time allow each center to customize its unique geography, airspace, navigation aids, air routes, etc., as required?"

They achieved this using Jovial and COMPOOL, and each center had a person who knew how to modify what they called "adaptation" data. And this software lasted for decades.

Here is an interesting book describing the rebid for the software in 1964, which IBM won, but not without major gnashing of teeth within IBM.
05-11-2021, 01:24 AM
(05-10-2021 05:47 PM)billf Wrote:  So... Know anyone with a paid Apple Developer account? It really is just a matter of downloading the Flutter environment, typing `flutter build ios --release`, following the instructions to set up the signing profile in XCode, then typing `flutter build ios --release` again and uploading.

I suspect that my publishing this for you with my account given my day job at Google as a Flutter TPM is probably a no-no.

But I've got an iPod touch (personally owned, not Google's) I can outright _give_ you for testing, and I'm willing to make a one-time contribution via PayPal for the developer fees for the first year to make it happen--- this is great work, and I'd like to see it on both stores.

PM me if you're interested and we'll work out details.
05-11-2021, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2021 03:19 AM by billf.)
(05-11-2021 01:24 AM)KF6GPE Wrote:  
(05-10-2021 05:47 PM)billf Wrote:  So... Know anyone with a paid Apple Developer account? It really is just a matter of downloading the Flutter environment, typing `flutter build ios --release`, following the instructions to set up the signing profile in XCode, then typing `flutter build ios --release` again and uploading.

I suspect that my publishing this for you with my account given my day job at Google as a Flutter TPM is probably a no-no.

But I've got an iPod touch (personally owned, not Google's) I can outright _give_ you for testing, and I'm willing to make a one-time contribution via PayPal for the developer fees for the first year to make it happen--- this is great work, and I'd like to see it on both stores.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that I read in the Apple terms that they take down apps when individual developers stop paying the $100/year subscription fee. I guess they figure that nobody ever dies :-)

I wouldn't want to put an app out there, only to have Apple yank it away at some point in the future. And I plan to live another 30-40 years... Four grand is a mighty expensive calculator!

I'm hopeful I'll find someone who's in a position to publish it.
05-11-2021, 07:08 AM
Is it possible to configure the web version as an installable application?
https://developer.ibm.com/technologies/m...l5mobile3/
05-12-2021, 02:33 AM
(05-11-2021 02:52 AM)billf Wrote:  
(05-11-2021 01:24 AM)KF6GPE Wrote:  I suspect that my publishing this for you with my account given my day job at Google as a Flutter TPM is probably a no-no.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that I read in the Apple terms that they take down apps when individual developers stop paying the $100/year subscription fee. I guess they figure that nobody ever dies :-)

I wouldn't want to put an app out there, only to have Apple yank it away at some point in the future. And I plan to live another 30-40 years... Four grand is a mighty expensive calculator!

I'm hopeful I'll find someone who's in a position to publish it.

I might be mistaken but I think if anyone downloads the iOS app, and it is later removed from the store, the app might still be in the "Purchased" category (includes free apps) of the user and can be re-downloaded (assuming the iOS version has not deprecated the app's dependencies).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)