Revolutionary HP Prime 2.1.14541 update with Python!
04-20-2021, 08:32 PM
Revolutionary HP Prime 2.1.14541 update with Python!
Article in French by Critor

> https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...18#p260518
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2021, 09:07 PM
RE: Revolutionary HP Prime 2.1.14541 update with Python!
Critor is really good at writing these articles, thanks for sharing! It's pretty awesome to see the Prime crush the competition even when it's still in early beta.

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2021, 09:56 PM
The Hpprime may be the best calculator in the world, you just have to accept the help of the user community.

1: Create a bug tracker on this website or similar place.
2: A system for posting suggestions and ideas.
3: Collaboration to improve and complete the user and programming manuals.
4: A very good program editor for PC.
5: Complete the rest of the CAS functions that have yet to be incorporated. (version 1.6))
6: Connecting the calculator with microprogrammable or microcontrollable devices with python.

The vast majority of teachers have the order to start teaching with Python, before we could give free lectures, we could use for example C ++ and the like in the initial courses of logic and computer programming.
04-21-2021, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2021 12:00 PM by jonmoore.)
(04-20-2021 09:56 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The Hpprime may be the best calculator in the world, you just have to accept the help of the user community.

1: Create a bug tracker on this website or similar place.
2: A system for posting suggestions and ideas.
3: Collaboration to improve and complete the user and programming manuals.
4: A very good program editor for PC.
5: Complete the rest of the CAS functions that have yet to be incorporated. (version 1.6))
6: Connecting the calculator with microprogrammable or microcontrollable devices with python.

Agree with all your points here. And funnily enough, considering that the HP Prime has limited development manpower resources in terms of software development, in comparison to TI and Casio. Taking a more 'Open Source' route with regard to micro-programmable/micro-controllable devices could be a real competitive advantage.

The reality of the competitive landscape is that Casio and TI now pitch their high-end calculator hardware as part of an integrated Calculator/Desktop(and tablet) offering. TI now sell the CX CAS II (and non-CAS variety) as a bundle which includes the desktop software for approximately the same price as the HP Prime, and CASIO centres their high-end offering around classpad.net coupled with their iOS/Android apps (combined subscription $25 per annum). HP can't compete with these offerings with current manpower resources.

The HP Prime's superior hardware is obviously a real advantage as evidenced in Critor's wonderfully detailed benchmarks. Pitch this against TI and their TI-Innovator platform (which is great but a closed proprietary system and relatively expensive). I'd love to see the HP Prime integrating with open embedded computing platforms such as Arduino, Micro:bit, Raspberry Pi etc. etc. The European STEM space has a preference for open technologies if they're available; so if the HP Prime worked with open tech it would be a real win.

Whilst I wouldn't expect HP to offer the equivalent of TI's Teacher and Student desktop software, some form of desktop tool, over and above the emulator is sorely needed. Particularly with regards to Python, but it would also be great if the graphing capabilities of the calculator could offer the ability to render the graphs at a higher resolution on the desktop. Yet again, thinking laterally here, why reinvent the wheel when integration with e.g. Desmos or GeoGebra were made possible. Sure you can just enter the same functions into said graphing software, but smart integration would be a superior experience.
04-21-2021, 03:11 PM
(04-20-2021 08:32 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Article in French by Critor

> https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...18#p260518

Thanks for pointing this out @compsystems. Smile

@Critor - Amazing review and article, truly an epic piece of work! Big Grin

As a long-time RPN/RPL head, the Prime does not typically interest me much, but your article has renewed some interest; I will likely install the updates (once stable) and explore it again.

Thanks very much for the huge effort, both to test/compare the Prime, and also for demonstrating the integration and access methods for many of the new Python features.

--Bob Prosperi
04-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Impressive review of the novelties of this beta software. I have in my mind this sentence:

"Clairement une mise à jour HP Prime colossale et historique, la plus importante mise à jour logicielle dans toute l'histoire de la calculatrice HP Prime, merci Cyrille et Tim !"

Some have said in this forum: probably the most advanced upgrade since 2013.
04-21-2021, 07:50 PM
Thank you for your posts. Smile

I'm glad my test was understandable and interesting for you despite being written in French.
04-21-2021, 08:58 PM
(04-21-2021 07:50 PM)critor Wrote:  Thank you for your posts. Smile

I'm glad my test was understandable and interesting for you despite being written in French.

Google translate contributed critically in this area for me....

Which of course reminds me I should have added "Merci Beuacoups", which is pretty close to my own limit with French!

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)