HP Connectivity Kit for macOS
04-20-2021, 05:13 PM
HP Connectivity Kit for macOS
Hello all,

I recently bought an M1-based MacBook Pro, and I am finding that the HP Connectivity Kit doesn't work correctly. I was able to install it, but when I have a calculator connected (either my Prime G2 or the Virtual HP Prime), I am unable to drop files/folders to it (specifically an application folder to install a new app).

Is this a known issue? I noticed that the downloads page indicates it is for macOS 10.xx (while I am on 11.x), so I am not sure if this is a problem with the OS being too new, or if it is related to the M1 chip (instead of intel)...

Just wanted to ask and see if anyone else has seen the same issue.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2021, 08:06 PM
RE: HP Connectivity Kit for macOS
MacOS 11.2.3, Intel based MacBook, HP Connectivity Kit 2020 1 16.

When I drag a certain file ending in .hpprgm to the Application folder, HP Connectivity program segfaults. Yet when I drag a different file, it appears in the application list. So maybe it is the .hpprgm file and not the M1.

Connectivity kit exits: Conway's game of life: https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7525
Connectivity kit works: Invaders : https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7933 (program itself is dependent on another library though)

Try CC41!
04-20-2021, 08:48 PM
(04-20-2021 08:06 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  MacOS 11.2.3, Intel based MacBook, HP Connectivity Kit 2020 1 16.

When I drag a certain file ending in .hpprgm to the Application folder, HP Connectivity program segfaults. Yet when I drag a different file, it appears in the application list. So maybe it is the .hpprgm file and not the M1.

Connectivity kit exits: Conway's game of life: https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7525
Connectivity kit works: Invaders : https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7933 (program itself is dependent on another library though)

Interesting - thanks for that datapoint. I will have to try that later. I believe that I may have dragged a .prgm file over, but I don't know if I was on my Windows 10 machine or the MBP.

It's interesting that it segfaults for you, but the file just "jumps" back to the finder window for me. Maybe that is an M1 vs Intel difference?

I also tried dragging an app from one calculator (physical) to another (virtual) within the Connectivity Kit, and that didn't work either.
04-20-2021, 11:34 PM
Quick update...

I tried dragging a file from the finder (a .hpprgm extension) into the Programs folder in the app, and when I clicked the file and tried to drag (within the finder), my MBP locked up for a few seconds, the screen turned pink, and it then rebooted.

The message after the reboot didn't clearly show what failed (as far as I could tell), but I saw mention of the exFAT kext (I had connected and later ejected an exFAT formatted external SSD earlier in the day). Not sure if that is related, or if it was the HP CK or the Prime app running at the time.

I then tried it again after loading the CK and Prime apps again, and when I tried to drag the .hpprgm file again as well as the app folder, and both failed to drop. No errors at the time, but when I then clicked closed the CK app, it segfaulted.

I think I will be uninstalling at least the CK for now until it gets updated, as it may be causing some serious stability problems.
04-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not yet have M1 devices here for testing...
I am still hopping to get one at some point!

I find it impressive that the con kit managed to crash the computer though! this is not an easy feat!

I am assuming that part of the problem might be in the low level USB code...
Mac app facing USB stuff is kind of cludgy in some ways...
Hopefully we will be able to generate a native version at one some (need QT6.2 for that)...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
04-21-2021, 12:08 PM
(04-21-2021 07:27 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

I find it impressive that the con kit managed to crash the computer though! this is not an easy feat!

Hopefully we will be able to generate a native version at one some (need QT6.2 for that)...

Cyrille

Not sure the crash was USB related as it happened when I was using the virtual Prime (unless there is a virtual USB involved).
09-20-2021, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2021 04:56 PM by metawops.)
Dumb question: where can I download the official, latest version of the macOS Connectivity Kit and virtual HP Prime?
09-20-2021, 05:04 PM
(09-20-2021 04:50 PM)metawops Wrote:  Dumb question: where can I download the official, latest version of the macOS Connectivity Kit and virtual HP Prime?

Oh!
I see.
No macOS versions, neither of the latest CK, nor of the virtual Prime. :-(((

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-20-2021, 08:08 PM
(09-20-2021 05:04 PM)metawops Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 04:50 PM)metawops Wrote:  Dumb question: where can I download the official, latest version of the macOS Connectivity Kit and virtual HP Prime?

Oh!
I see.

Try here. I can't say for sure that these are the latest versions, but there is a Mac CK there and the virtual calc.

https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/pc/

These are the ones that gave me bugs (crashes) as described earlier in this thread, though. Maybe OS updates to the Mac since then have helped?
09-20-2021, 08:22 PM
(09-20-2021 08:08 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 05:04 PM)metawops Wrote:  Oh!
I see.

Try here. I can't say for sure that these are the latest versions, but there is a Mac CK there and the virtual calc.

https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/pc/

These are the ones that gave me bugs (crashes) as described earlier in this thread, though. Maybe OS updates to the Mac since then have helped?

Thanks, but those are the old January 2020 versions. Apparently, there are no May 2021 macOS versions (yet? (hopefully)) available. I'd expect them on the official HP ftp server (see my attachment to my last post). ?‍♂️
09-22-2021, 10:48 PM
(09-20-2021 08:22 PM)metawops Wrote:  Thanks, but those are the old January 2020 versions. Apparently, there are no May 2021 macOS versions (yet? (hopefully)) available. I'd expect them on the official HP ftp server (see my attachment to my last post). ?‍♂️

I vaguely recall reading on one of the threads that the May version is a beta and Windows only for the moment. Once finalised it will be released for the Mac. No idea what that timescale is though - maybe soon as back to school/university is starting and disadvantaging Mac using students is not a good look for HP. (hint!)
10-03-2021, 01:23 PM
See this post for instructions on how to upgrade a G2 to the 2021-10-01 firmware using MacOS.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17...#pid152717
10-10-2021, 07:00 AM
(04-20-2021 05:13 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Hello all,

I recently bought an M1-based MacBook Pro, and I am finding that the HP Connectivity Kit doesn't work correctly. I was able to install it, but when I have a calculator connected (either my Prime G2 or the Virtual HP Prime), I am unable to drop files/folders to it (specifically an application folder to install a new app).

Is this a known issue? I noticed that the downloads page indicates it is for macOS 10.xx (while I am on 11.x), so I am not sure if this is a problem with the OS being too new, or if it is related to the M1 chip (instead of intel)...

Thanks!

Yes, I'm also on 11.6, but not an M1, it's an iMac from 2014. The connectivity kit for MacOS also causes problems (G1 Prime) so instead I've been using Parallels Access and the Windows version. That seems to work OK for the most part but there have been some occasions when the connection kicks in and out for no obvious reason (it's not a cable issue -- but with virtual machines there are no guarantees).
10-14-2021, 08:13 AM
(10-10-2021 07:00 AM)JimP Wrote:  The connectivity kit for MacOS also causes problems (G1 Prime)...
I agree, even on an Intel iMac, the connectivity kit is very unstable. It always crashes when disconnecting the Prime, for example. Quite often a Mac reboot is then necessary to reconnect the Prime. Somehow a part of the USB stack seems to remain hanging in the background, and the Prime is not seen again.
Another problem is that it crashes even more often when the Prime is connected through a USB hub. Only when connected to a USB port of the iMac itself, a somewhat reliable connection is possible.
This is on an iMac with MacOS 11.6. Prime is G1 or G2, there is no difference.
10-29-2021, 09:52 PM
(10-14-2021 08:13 AM)Tinue Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 07:00 AM)JimP Wrote:  The connectivity kit for MacOS also causes problems (G1 Prime)...
I agree, even on an Intel iMac, the connectivity kit is very unstable. It always crashes when disconnecting the Prime, for example. Quite often a Mac reboot is then necessary to reconnect the Prime. Somehow a part of the USB stack seems to remain hanging in the background, and the Prime is not seen again.
Another problem is that it crashes even more often when the Prime is connected through a USB hub. Only when connected to a USB port of the iMac itself, a somewhat reliable connection is possible.
This is on an iMac with MacOS 11.6. Prime is G1 or G2, there is no difference.

I have the same issue, with my new Prime G2... I made a thread about the issues I faced with that (also bad flickering and a dead/red pixel). It seems either waiting approval (though I can't see it at all), or has disappeared into the ether.

video of the flickering and messed up pixel: https://youtu.be/fCNdC3T9kKE
11-01-2021, 10:36 PM
(04-21-2021 07:27 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

Cyrille

I find it rather ironic that people are trying to use a very functional practical consumer-respecting device like the HP Prime with an anti-consumer locked-down non-repairable Mac. lol
11-07-2021, 08:18 PM
(04-20-2021 05:13 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Hello all,

Thanks!
I have it installed on MacOS Monterey and it works perfectly
Try downloading the installer from this address

http://www.hp-prime.de/en/category/6-downloads

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)