HP 97 AC Adapter/Recharger Replacement
07-27-2023, 07:50 AM
HP 97 AC Adapter/Recharger Replacement
Hi,

I have a question to check, it is about HP 97 AC Adapter/Recharger.
as the service manual described:

For VIN=230 Vac. VMIN=VIN/21.10; VMAX=VIN/15.65
so, when @220VAC,
Vin Max = 20.18
Vin Min = 14.97

I have a 50-year-old HP-83059A (8V 3W max)
and I want to purchase an AC Adapter/Recharger @220VAC for NEW.
but the 8VAC convertor is hard to be found. and 9V 12V is easier.

would you please give me some advice on the specification of the AC-to-AC convertor?
I mean in NEW AC-to-AC unit for the original HP-97 calculator. Thanks!

BR,
bai
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2023, 05:53 PM
RE: HP 97 AC Adapter/Recharger Replacement
Why don‘t you try with a bell transformer? Offers 8V, 12V, 24V. Be sure to have 220V insulated to prevent from electric shock.
Andi
07-27-2023, 06:22 PM
This sort of adapter is a small transformer in a box. There is no voltage regulation to it so voltage out is a factor of voltage in plus the load on the output. The more it is loaded down the lower the voltage. Conversely when measured open circuit the output voltage will be higher.

Typically, the output rating on unregulated adapters is voltage at rated load. Looking at the label on an original 120V adapter the input voltage range is 90-120VAC. Quite a broad range of input voltage. Output is rates as your 220V adapter 8V @ 3W which is 0.375A. I'm not sure if one of the calculators these adapters was used for would draw that much current while charging. I would guess that this AC output rating is RMS but perhaps it is average.

Looking at modern wall adapters about this size the smallest 6VAC adapter I quicky found has 1A rated output. Its open circuit voltage would be similar to the HP adapter. The smallest 9VAC adapter I found was rated at 500ma output. This is about 4.5W so the loaded voltage might be a bit higher.

It does not look like the exact output voltage was terribly important based on the wide input range. If you have an original adapter, you can measure its open circuit voltage and loaded voltage and compare that against a 6VAC adapter with the same load applied.
07-28-2023, 12:17 AM
(07-27-2023 05:53 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  Why don‘t you try with a bell transformer? Offers 8V, 12V, 24V. Be sure to have 220V insulated to prevent from electric shock.
Andi

yes, that will be a good solution for this. thanks!
07-28-2023, 12:21 AM
(07-27-2023 06:22 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  This sort of adapter is a small transformer in a box. There is no voltage regulation to it so voltage out is a factor of voltage in plus the load on the output. The more it is loaded down the lower the voltage. Conversely when measured open circuit the output voltage will be higher.

Typically, the output rating on unregulated adapters is voltage at rated load. Looking at the label on an original 120V adapter the input voltage range is 90-120VAC. Quite a broad range of input voltage. Output is rates as your 220V adapter 8V @ 3W which is 0.375A. I'm not sure if one of the calculators these adapters was used for would draw that much current while charging. I would guess that this AC output rating is RMS but perhaps it is average.

Looking at modern wall adapters about this size the smallest 6VAC adapter I quicky found has 1A rated output. Its open circuit voltage would be similar to the HP adapter. The smallest 9VAC adapter I found was rated at 500ma output. This is about 4.5W so the loaded voltage might be a bit higher.

It does not look like the exact output voltage was terribly important based on the wide input range. If you have an original adapter, you can measure its open circuit voltage and loaded voltage and compare that against a 6VAC adapter with the same load applied.

Thanks! My HP adaptor in un-loaded status is around 11VAC. maybe I need a similar one around it. I will have a try.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)