New beta version
04-13-2021, 03:21 PM
New beta version
Hello,

We have just released a new beta of Prime...
you can find the files at https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/
As always, many thanks to Eric for hosting files!

The main changes in this version are:
- newer CAS
- new Python app and python programming
- new programing features (multi files, resources..)
- new exam mode features for european markets
- intelligent math, bringing some CAS functions to the home screen.
- some USB programming (USBOpen/Recv/Send)

More complete release notes can be found at:
https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/betanotes.zip

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2021, 04:02 PM
RE: New beta version
Hi Cyrille,
Nice that there is another update for the HP Prime.
This means that you are still working on it. I was a little worried that not much more was being done by HP. (Sorry)
Glad that's not the case !!!
I will install it tomorrow.

Kind regards, Dirk Hartland

— Dirk Hartland
04-13-2021, 04:40 PM
Stopped what I was doing to download/update my Primes to the new version! Thank you!

In the Python App, numeric view, would love to have the "up" arrow recall the last command like in iPython or the regular python command line.

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

04-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Hi Cyrille,

These are very good news.
When will Python be included in Linux and Mac version?
04-13-2021, 05:25 PM
Great news Cyrille!

Are there any plans for an Iphone or Android emulation of the beta later?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2021, 05:25 PM
Thank you, Cyrille. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a fairly decent leap forward.

Prime, 15C CE
04-13-2021, 05:30 PM
Bonjour Cyrille

Content de vous retrouver qui plus est avec une nouvelle
version pour nos machine.

Hello Cyrille

Glad to see you back with a new version for our machines

Sorry for my english
04-13-2021, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2021 06:51 PM by critor.)
Bonjour. C'est une excellente nouvelle et une grande avancée. Une implémentation Micropython très complète a priori, et je ne manquerai pas de lui faire des éloges dans une annonce.

Toutefois, dans le cadre de l'application Python je rencontre quelques difficultés que je vais lister ci-dessous. Ce n'est absolument pas par plaisir, je connais le contexte difficile.
  • Sauf erreur de ma part, l'historique de la console est défilable uniquement en tactile - les flèches clavier sont sans effet.
  • Je ne vois aucun moyen de récupérer quelque chose dans l'historique (tout ou partie d'un résultat, d'un affichage, etc.). En effet le curseur de texte est cantonné à la ligne de saisie, et il ne semble pas être possible de le faire passer dans l'historique. En conséquence les couper/copier/coller sont également cantonnés à la ligne de saisie. Très gênant je trouve.
  • Il semble y avoir un bug très embêtant si jamais on a le malheur de taper [Esc] sur une ligne de saisie vide. La calculatrice semble alors être semi-coincée. La quasi totalité des touches/menus sont alors sans effet. On peut encore allumer/éteindre la calculatrice, et utiliser l'actuel menu de bas d'écran. Et c'est tout, on ne peut plus changer de vue ni d'application, on ne peut plus rien saisir...
    Le problème peut être reproduit dans l'émulateur.
    Ce n'est pas visible sur calculatrice, mais sur émulateur on dirait que ça fait disparaître la ligne de saisie, et outre le reset je ne vois aucun moyen de la faire revenir :
    [Image: 2043_1618337995_6075e0cb87461.png]
  • Si jamais on appelle la vue [Num] alors que l'on est déjà sur cette vue, la barre de titre disparaît, et la calculatrice se retrouve encore semi-bloquée dès validation de la saisie suivante :
    [Image: 2043_1618338170_6075e17ad1be5.png]
  • Si jamais depuis la vue [Num] on appelle la vue [Plot] non valide dans le contexte Python, même problème. Probablement parce que cet appel est refusé, et appelle à son tour automatiquement la vue [Num].
  • Sur HP Prime G1 je ne peux pas utiliser l'éditeur de script Python. Tout appui sur [Symb] redémarre immédiatement la calculatrice. Suis-je le seul ? Merci.
04-13-2021, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2021 07:30 PM by critor.)
It would be nice to bind HP Prime special keys to Python functions. Many Math keys or shortcuts don't work at all in Python :
[Image: 2043_1618340826_6075ebdace6d4.png][Image: 2043_1618340869_6075ec05ebd84.png]

You've also got the [x^y] key which is problematic ; it doesn't input a power operator in Python :
[Image: 2043_1618340549_6075eac5d93d7.png]

In Python, the alpha flag shows the opposite of what it should, uppercase when the input is lowercase, and lowercase when the input is uppercase :
[Image: 2043_1618340965_6075ec65ef007.png][Image: 2043_1618340991_6075ec7f7d77d.png]
04-13-2021, 09:02 PM
input() does wait for your input, but then always returns an empty string :
[Image: 2043_1618347615_6076065fe57d5.png][Image: 2043_1618347633_6076067138bd7.png]
04-14-2021, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 12:53 AM by toml_12953.)
(04-13-2021 07:27 PM)critor Wrote:  You've also got the [x^y] key which is problematic ; it doesn't input a power operator in Python :
[Image: 2043_1618340549_6075eac5d93d7.png]

You have to type in
Code:
for the power operator.

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-14-2021, 05:51 AM
(04-14-2021 12:52 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  You have to type in
Code:
for the power operator.
Indeed, critor wasn't reporting an issue with the power operator, but the fact that the power key on the keyboard doesn't add
Code:
like on some other calculators with python (and same thing for the square root, ln, ...)
04-14-2021, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 06:13 AM by OlidaBel.)
(04-13-2021 03:21 PM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

The main changes in this version are:
- newer CAS
- new Python app and python programming
- new programing features (multi files, resources..)
- new exam mode features for european markets
- intelligent math, bringing some CAS functions to the home screen.
- some USB programming (USBOpen/Recv/Send)

More complete release notes can be found at:
https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/betanotes.zip
Cyrille

Bonjour Cyrille,
Une bête question sans doute.
You write "new Python", I understand here there is already Python.
But I'm running the latest OS on Prime G2, recently unboxed, I don't see any Python app. Is it always an optional app I must decide to install then ?

---
HP 48GX, Prime G2, 50G, 28S, 15c CE. SwissMicros DM42, DM15L
A long time ago : 11C, 15C, 28C.
04-14-2021, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 07:07 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
Just a small remark.
Please follow the suggestion from Tim in https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16647.html
"... we ask that the primary way of reporting be to send reports to calcbeta@hp.com"

Many thanks to Cyrille and Tim for the great enhancements!
04-14-2021, 12:35 PM
Alleluia,
Really very, very happy to see you again!
I hope that the HP company has this time totally "reallocated" your generous and learned energy on this wonderful project. I was really worried that the HP Prime would be scrapped because of the cramped short-sightedness of lousy "little accountants."
Perhaps we represent here only a sort of bleached and decrepit fauna: engineers, technicians, scientists, professors ... eternal students ...
The HP group, which has to spend a fortune on marketing, does not see that, thanks to your work - Cyrille De Brébisson & Tim Wessman - there is at least an image of excellence to be preserved?
Tim, Cyrille, thank you for your involvement, I wish you a lot of recognition and a good, well-deserved salary!
----------------
Alléluia,
Vraiment très très heureux de vous retrouver !
J’espère que la compagnie HP a cette fois «réaffecté» totalement votre généreuse et savante énergie sur ce projet formidable. J’ai vraiment craint que la HP Prime soit abandonnée en raison de la courte-vue étriquée de minables « petits comptables ».
Peut-être que nous ne représentons ici qu’une sorte de faune blanchie et décatie: ingénieurs, techniciens, scientifiques, professeurs… éternels étudiants…
Le groupe HP qui doit dépenser des fortunes en marketing ne voit pas qu’il y a là grâce à votre travail — Cyrille De Brébisson & Tim Wessman —, a minima, une image d’excellence à préserver ?
Tim, Cyrille, merci pour votre implication, je vous souhaite de recevoir beaucoup de reconnaissance ainsi qu’un bon salaire bien mérité !
04-14-2021, 01:51 PM
(04-14-2021 07:06 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Just a small remark.
Please follow the suggestion from Tim in https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16647.html
"... we ask that the primary way of reporting be to send reports to calcbeta@hp.com"

Many thanks to Cyrille and Tim for the great enhancements!

Critor is driven by a positive, constructive approach ... We all discover, with enthusiasm, this latest version. In addition to following the recommendation formulated by Tim, it seems useful to me to share and benefit from each other's discoveries… Thank you Critor and very happy to be able to read you soon on TiPlanet.
Best regards.
----------------
Critor est animé par une démarche positive, constructive… Nous découvrons tous, avec enthousiasme, cette dernière version. En plus de suivre la recommandation formulée par Tim il me semble utile d’échanger et de profiter des découvertes de chacun… Merci Critor et très content de pouvoir te lire bientôt sur TiPlanet.
Bien cordialement.
04-15-2021, 05:41 AM
I don't understand, what's wrong with https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16...#pid146049.
I see no need to deny this.

If the users in this thread also will send mails to the mail-adress Tim posted, all will be ok. Hopefully the mails will contain all information HP needs.
04-17-2021, 07:57 AM
(04-13-2021 04:40 PM)Allen Wrote:  Stopped what I was doing to download/update my Primes to the new version!

Just seeing this. There goes my weekend! :-)
04-17-2021, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2021 09:25 AM by jonmoore.)
(04-15-2021 05:41 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  I don't understand, what's wrong with https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16...#pid146049.
I see no need to deny this.

If the users in this thread also will send mails to the mail-adress Tim posted, all will be ok. Hopefully the mails will contain all information HP needs.

Whilst I'm personally sending bug reports to Cyrille directly I don't see the point in attempts too shut down on general feedback on the Python implementation here on the forum. Beta testing is far more than bug testing.

A prime example of best practice would be the SwissMicros public beta testing for the DM41X. The open discussion on the forum led to some critical design decisions which Bob (and team) would not have come to had all feedback been provided in a singular fashion. Feedback loops are always more productive if multiple voices are part of a discussion. The trick is to avoid 'decisions by committee' without shutting out multiple voices. Easier said than done but fully achievable too.
04-17-2021, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2021 10:33 AM by jonmoore.)
I'm not sure about the wording that's presented when a user has written or updated a .py file.

[Image: DZyLyx]

Whilst it may be technically correct that MicroPython is running as a VM on the Prime OS, the wording suggests that more than MicroPython is being updated. I'd suggest that the following would be more guiding and reassuring.

Quote:The Python file has been changed, do you want to reimport and run the updated file?

And whilst I said in my previous post that I'm posting bugs directly seeing as these bugs are connected to the above suggestion I'll mention them here.

When you swap between Symb(text editor view) and Num(interactive view) the warning still appears even if the file content hasn't been changed.

It's also annoying that the 'Clear' softkey doesn't clear the terminal completely, but rather leaves the previously run file in view. If this is a list that's more than than the vertical screen space the only way to clear the interactive terminal is to press Space->Enter repeatedly until the screen is cleared. The desktop equivalent command when running the Python terminal is CTRL L and this works with the MicroPython terminal too. I believe that the 'Clear' softkey should function in a similar fashion too.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)