replacement 71B battery terminal springs
03-29-2021, 12:17 PM
replacement 71B battery terminal springs
Hi, I thought these would be easy to find but have searched and can't find anything similar to the stock spring pair with caps on them.

Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

What have others successfully used?

TIA, dmh

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2021, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2021 03:47 PM by Hans Brueggemann.)
RE: replacement 71B battery terminal springs
never had an issue on my HP-71Bs with the coiled spring tabs. if i had to replace them, i'd probably try to solder two of these in a side-by-side fashion:
Batt Contact Spring AAA PC Pin
Find all posts by this user
03-29-2021, 03:56 PM
Might be hard to solder those without surface treatment first. Spot welding might work better, but many people might not have a spot welder handy.
03-29-2021, 04:43 PM
Often, after a battery leak in a 71B, the acid damages the "chrome" face of the battery contacts on the ends of the springs and battery contact is not good. You can try cleaning them thoroughly with DeOxit Red, but problems can persist depending on the damage level.

One simple, if not aesthetic, solution is to just fold a small sheet of aluminum foil to cover each pair of adjacent springs. The same may also be needed on the center pair on the left side as well. Not pretty, but seems to work well.

--Bob Prosperi
03-29-2021, 04:47 PM
(03-29-2021 03:56 PM)cruff Wrote:  Might be hard to solder those without surface treatment first. Spot welding might work better, but many people might not have a spot welder handy.

they are specifically made for soldering into printed circuit boards, but welding may be fine, too.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)