HP 15C clear plastic strips
04-09-2021, 06:21 AM
HP 15C clear plastic strips
I did just speed up an HP-15c, one of those with the black film around the electronics and the dedicated logic board which is plugged into the keyboard pcb.
After soldering, i turned the calculator around for a quick test, and these two clear plastic strips fell out.

i am sure that i have had these in the works on my other 15c (the frankenstein-15c which i still have to post about), so i should know how to place them back in the calculator, but that device is not in reach at the moment - so, can someone tell me how to put these back in place? where do they belong? i cannot figure it out for the life of me.
Thanks!
damaltor

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2021, 07:42 AM
RE: HP 15C clear plastic strips
I found it. They fit to the right of the calculator (when viewed from the back), after closing all film layers, between the electronics and the outer shell. Why there were two in my device is something i dont know, might be accidential.
04-14-2021, 11:04 AM
It's been a while since I popped open a Voyager but IIRC there is one per side - should be a hole for screws and be careful of the little spring on the one side. I don't think they are really needed but might as well pop them back in.

-Bill
04-16-2021, 09:43 AM
Well, as the strip is slightly triangular/wedge shaped like the calculator is, and as the little folded tab goes in only one way, my plastic strips did fit only right, not left. they are both exactly the same, so they will not fit left and right... i think i will live with it being an accident that there are two. Smile

These plastic strips are, for me at least, a sign of the quality these devices have: They are not really needed, as everything in the calculator is wrapped in multiple layers of ESD film, and all parts are secured solidly. they are intiricate, with a little tab to make it easier to pull out (a pair of pliers would be sufficient and the tab could be left out, which would cutting these from a sheet of film much mure efficient). They even have a small indentation near a screw so it is easier to put together if the film is a tiny bit misaligned.

on modern devices they would be much, much simpler - but probably, no one would even think about putting in this extra part, even if it only costs a fraction of a cent, as the price is the only thing that matters in todays electronics. Everything that is not needed to have the device work while inside of the warranty period is left out.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)