Verify HP Prime G2 Authenticity?
03-04-2021, 02:38 AM
Verify HP Prime G2 Authenticity?
Hello,

I recently bought an HP Prime G2 on Amazon. The shipment was fulfilled by Amazon, but the seller was a 3rd party seller. I didn't think much of it at the time as the price was similar to the actual in store prices that I researched. However, when I received the G2, there were a lot of warning flags raised by the packaging, and the calculator itself. That said, I'm not sure if it is a counterfeit. In fact, it is probably is authentic, but there are just too many indicators that it might be an extremely good counterfeit to not try to at least verify it's authenticity.

Also, just as a side note since someone will probably bring it up...I can't use the serial number label to verify authenticity because it looks like the label was either replaced, or peeled off then put back on later for some reason. The font seems to match other HP Prime S.N. labels that I've looked at on Google.

Is there anyway to verify through software (HP Connectivity Kit, maybe?) that this unit has the correct processor, and correct amount of memory? I really don't want to unscrew anything on the calculator to look at the internals, and potentially waste $140 in the process...

Thanks in advanced!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2021, 12:50 PM
RE: Verify HP Prime G2 Authenticity?
Hi,

you can go to Mem (blue - Toolbox-key) and then go on Info on the screen.
My G2 delivers that main memory is 246 MB, Data memory 455 MB.
My G1 has main memory of 15.7 MB and a data memory of 198 MB.
So that is a quite difference.
03-04-2021, 12:59 PM
Press "Help" then "Tree" and then at the top "About HP Prime", this will tell you the Software Version, the Hardware Version (D for a Prime G2) and the serial Number.
03-04-2021, 03:31 PM
I too bought a G2 from a 3rd party seller at a slight discount from retail, and within weeks most of the "+" lettering had rubbed off. These could be QC failures being shadow recycled. Common supply chain problem...

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
03-05-2021, 09:25 AM
There are no counterfeit HP Primes. It does not make sense to made the effort to make a fake one.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2021, 11:29 PM
(03-05-2021 09:25 AM)eried Wrote:  There are no counterfeit HP Primes. It does not make sense to made the effort to make a fake one.

Your first claim hasn't been tested as far as I could tell from cursory searches, hence this thread. Your second claim is reasonable. However, there are cases of modern tech counterfeiting using "clever" methods to make millions of dollars from what seems like a lot of unreasonable and risky effort to most people. See Foxconn, and their iPhone debacle a few years back that made their "after hours crew" $40million~ before being caught.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a simple way to verify the ARM chip via software. So I did a few heavy computational calculations that could be measured, and compared the compute time to other G2 owners. It's rudimentary testing, but the times were similar enough that I don't see any reason to believe it isn't an authentic G2. Smile
03-08-2021, 05:42 PM
(03-07-2021 11:29 PM)ersoini Wrote:  
(03-05-2021 09:25 AM)eried Wrote:  There are no counterfeit HP Primes. It does not make sense to made the effort to make a fake one.

Your first claim hasn't been tested as far as I could tell from cursory searches, hence this thread. Your second claim is reasonable. However, there are cases of modern tech counterfeiting using "clever" methods to make millions of dollars from what seems like a lot of unreasonable and risky effort to most people. See Foxconn, and their iPhone debacle a few years back that made their "after hours crew" $40million~ before being caught.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a simple way to verify the ARM chip via software. So I did a few heavy computational calculations that could be measured, and compared the compute time to other G2 owners. It's rudimentary testing, but the times were similar enough that I don't see any reason to believe it isn't an authentic G2. Smile

It could be similar to the cheap hp39gs and hp39g+ sold on aliexpress
https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/hp39gs.html
https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/hp39g.html

These are "genuine" hp calcs, but have no serial number.. "after hours crew" no doubt kept the production lines running after the contracted units completed.
I have one of the hp39gs for a few dollars, a real bargain!
03-08-2021, 06:10 PM
Yes, this is a known problem. Happened to us many times when we were making non-HP items at factories. I was in the Philippines when I saw a product in a store in packaging that looked like ours, but we had never made that COLOR.

Bought one for fun.
04-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Today I received a Prime shipped by Amazon but sold by a third party seller at a price a little lower than usual Amazon or ebay pricing. Product packaging was worthy of a more expensive item. The heavy plastic clamshell was continuously sealed along all edges and had to be cut open with a knife. There was an HP security seal complete with hologram and "Security ID To Allow Product Authentication" visible through the back plastic. The package contained all accessories, warranty paperwork, a single sheet of paper explaining why there is an odd boot on the USB cord, a folded quick start guide in multiple languages and a card explaining in multiple languages where to get the calculator app. The serial number printed on the packaging, the back of the calculator and reported by software all matched.

I would be surprised if any counterfeiter would go to this much effort so I thought I would pass this description along. If the OP's packaging was significantly different he may have received a repackaged return. I found it difficult enough to open the clamshell that I doubt any returns that had been opened could be sent back out in original packaging.

Wally

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)