Indirect addressing for labels, HP-35S
03-04-2021, 12:38 AM
Indirect addressing for labels, HP-35S
I know this is a museum site, but I'm hoping to find someone with some good programming knowledge in this one area.
After the final demise of my beloved HP 41CV, I'm trying to buck up and get proficient at programming the HP 35S I've gotten to replace at least a little bit of my old one.

The user's guide states that indirect addressing can be used for both variables AND labels. Only examples are given for addressing a variable location, though, and I've found nothing on the web that provides an example of addressing a label indirectly.

XEQ (i) doesn't seem to be possible, nor does GTO (i). I'd love to be able to program a jump or branch to a subroutine based on a number dynamically placed in the I register, but I'm finding no syntax that works.

Anyone have a suggestion or a programming trick that would clarify addressing a label rather than a variable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2021, 02:29 PM
RE: Indirect addressing for labels, HP-35S
Hello,

on page 232/233 of the HP-35S user guide you can find a list of all the functions which can be used with (I) and (J). The FN= function seems to be the only one which will interpret the contents of (I) or (J) as a label.

The fact that a XEQ(I) or GTO(I) function is missing although it was present on the HP-33S was discussed here in the forum in 2007.

What is the problem with your HP-41CV? Maybe it can be repaired. Perhaps you may open an new thread here describing the problem in detail. There are a lot of people here in the forum who maybe able to help you.

Best regards

Karl
03-05-2021, 04:20 PM
(03-05-2021 02:29 PM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Hello,

on page 232/233 of the HP-35S user guide you can find a list of all the functions which can be used with (I) and (J). The FN= function seems to be the only one which will interpret the contents of (I) or (J) as a label.

The fact that a XEQ(I) or GTO(I) function is missing although it was present on the HP-33S was discussed here in the forum in 2007.

What is the problem with your HP-41CV? Maybe it can be repaired. Perhaps you may open an new thread here describing the problem in detail. There are a lot of people here in the forum who maybe able to help you.

Best regards

Karl
Thanks Karl. I don't know how many times I read that section and glossed over the statement that only FN= allows the label reference. I'll read over that command and see if it works out. My 41CV suffered a drop by my then-3-year old grandson several years back, breaking one of the plastic posts for the lower screws. I did repair on it then successfully, but it recently suffered a battery corrosion leak problem that got onto traces and actually severed some of them. I know I can dive in there and do some soldering and jumpering, but I seem to be reaching a point where I'm letting old things become old, sort of like me...
03-06-2021, 09:29 AM
Hello GHGarland,

yeah I know such situation reading a paragraph again and again but not getting its meaning right.

In my opinion, the HP-41 had reached a level of maturity that could hardly be surpassed for this class of calculating machines. A whole new class of pocket calculators, such as the HP 48/50 family, was required for performance beyond that. But that also meant a huge leap in the complexity of handling. I have an HP-41C as well as an HP-48 and 50. However, since my requirements are usually best handled by the HP-41, I would rather use this device than the HP-50.

The HP-41 may be old - I'm not the youngest either. But you are only as old as you feel! And my HP-41 and I still feel pretty young ;-)

Best regards

Karl

P.S.: Give your heart a nudge and help your good friend HP-41CV get back on its feet :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)