Casio BQ-1100
03-01-2021, 04:25 PM
Casio BQ-1100
Does anyone have the manual for the Casio BQ-1100 Biolator and Watch calculator or know what combinations of Set/Calendar/Date/Times buttons to press to set the Date and/or Time please?

Denny Tuckerman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2021, 09:56 PM
RE: Casio BQ-1100
Hello!

Here is a french one for starters: https://casio.ledudu.com/images/calculs/...BQ1100.pdf

Hope that helps at least a little!
Max
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2021, 05:24 PM
Maximilian,
Thanks for kind answer - only that manual was donated to that website by me.
Now trying to get my daughter, who is a Science Teacher but also has A Level French, to translate it!
Failing that I'll have to use Google translate but the file is an image so that would mean me (1) typing the French in per line and (2) getting a single line of English back (3) pasting the translation into a new document THEN WHILE PAGENUMBER ≲20 GOTO (1) and repeat

Denny Tuckerman
03-04-2021, 05:49 PM
Hello!

(03-04-2021 05:24 PM)Leviset Wrote:  ... only that manual was donated to that website by me.

Interesting! My french is (still) good enough to at least translate how one sets time and date:

Setting time
1. Press AC
2. Enter the hour (two digits)
3. Press "Time"
4. Enter the minute (two digits)
You should now see HH:MM
5. Switch between AM and PM with the appropriate key (the decimal point)
6. Press the "Set" button with a pointy object upon hearing or seeing the appropriate time signal

Setting date:
1. Press AC
2. Enter the year (two digits for 1901-1999, four digits for 2000-2099)
3. Press "Date"
4. Enter the month (two digits)
5. Press "Date"
6. Enter the day (two digits)
7. Press the "Set" button with a pointy object

Hope that helps!
Max
03-04-2021, 07:45 PM
You’re a star - thank you

Denny Tuckerman
03-05-2021, 03:47 PM
Do I take it that the 4 dots with one flashing on the number scale 1 - 31 scale on the bottom of the calculator screen are to do with daily Circadian Rhythms?

Denny Tuckerman
03-05-2021, 10:04 PM
(03-04-2021 05:24 PM)Leviset Wrote:  me (1) typing the French in per line and (2) getting a single line of English back (3) pasting the translation into a new document THEN WHILE PAGENUMBER ≲20 GOTO (1) and repeat
There are OCR programs that translate scanned pages to text. I have an old version installed but it worked when I was working on a project to restore some old out of print books to epubs. A few manual corrections were necessary though, depending on the quality of the scan and the used font.
03-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Hello!

(03-05-2021 03:47 PM)Leviset Wrote:  Do I take it that the 4 dots with one flashing on the number scale 1 - 31 scale on the bottom of the calculator screen are to do with daily Circadian Rhythms?

No, if I understand it correctly, the dots are the calendar for one month. The four steady dots indicate the sundays of that month and the flashing one is the current day. The day of week must be counted "manually" starting with the preceding sunday.

The biorythm

(nitpicking begins: The "circadian rhythm" is a scientifically proven daily curve which shows one's efficiency, whereas the "biorhythm" is a totally unscientific concept according to which there are three bodily properties: physical, emotional and intellectual whose values oscillate with sinusoidal curves between +1 (= good) and -1 (= bad)) starting from one's day of birth but with different periods -
nitpicking over :-) )

on this computer is indicated with a display of three numbers: e.g. "20 12 19" which stand for physical, emotional and intellectual. Using these numbers it is your task to follow the three curves printed underneath the display and read the appropriate value. The blue curve is the one for pysical, the red one for emotional and the green one for intellectual.

To compute your biorhythm for today you have to enter your birthday like this (after having set the date first):
AC
YY (if between 1901 and 1999) or YYYY (if between 2000 and 2099)
followed by "Date"
MM
followed by "Date"
DD
followed by "BIO" (note: This is almost like setting the calendar, only that you don't press SET but BIO as the last step)

The calculator will then diplay the three X-values of the curves as described above.

If you want to calculate your biorhythm for a different day than today (e.g. if you want to see if your physical strength will be good at the day of the Ironman triathlon ;-) ) you proceed as follows:
Enter your birthday as before, but press "-" (minus) instead of "BIO" at the end, then enter the day for which you want to display your values and press "BIO".

Have fun playing with it!

Regards
Max

NB: Some people write programs to compute the Gamma function to test their programmabale calculators. I instead have programmed countless biorhythm algorithms on different calculators in order to try them out (to be honest, it is rather trivial: You calculate the number of days between two dates and divide that by the periods of the three bodily properties). Starting with my Ti59 back at school. I even did performed some "science" comparing to computed numbers with my actual state and found zero correlation...
03-07-2021, 06:45 AM
(03-06-2021 02:27 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I even did performed some "science" comparing to computed numbers with my actual state and found zero correlation...

If it really was exactly zero, that is statistically significant! Chance would have some correlation. Are you sure your program just wasn't out of phase with biorhythm theory?
What would your days between dates routine return for the dates Mar 7, 2021 and March 7, 2021? If it's 0, then that's your problem. In biorhythm theory calculations, the answer should be 1 for the difference between the same dates.

Of course this is like debating the color of Unicorn hair.

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-07-2021, 10:18 AM
Hello!

(03-07-2021 06:45 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  If it really was exactly zero, that is statistically significant!

No, that "zero correlation" was just a matter of saying... But what I actually did back then (I was in my last two years at school when I got the Ti59) is, that I marked the maxima and minima of the three curves in my calendar, and when we had exams at school or some sports events I compared my scores with the biorhythm. And there was not a single obvious correlation. I also did the same thing with horoscopes and (of course!) got the same result - or better: non result ;-)

In my collection I have several biorhythm and astrology and numerology (*) calculators plus a large number of programmable ones, so I could repeat the experiment once again 40 years later. Only that I do no longer get scored for exams and sports so there is no way to compare the results.

Regards
Max

(*) Of the numerology calculators I only have one and I strongly guess that this must be the only one ever made.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)