41CL - AMC_OS/X Module Question
02-21-2021, 02:51 PM
41CL - AMC_OS/X Module Question
Would anyone know if there is a way to change the default character mode when selecting calculator ALPHA mode with the AMC_OS/X ROM installed?

This module is most excellent and I'd like to leave it plugged while working, but it defaults to small letters whenever you select ALPHA mode. Since nearly 100% of all alpha inputs are capital letters, I'm always typing a file name, program name when saving, etc., then realizing it's the wrong character mode and backspacing to correct. In other words, to type in a quick file name I have to press USER, USER KEY, ALPHA, then USER again (to selected Caps) to get the correct format, then type file name. When working quickly, the extra USER gets forgotten. After a few times doing this I end up unplugging the ROM, then later on typing in a command (PGCAT) that comes up nonexistent.

I've read the excellent manual and it seems to be a fixed "feature", but I thought someone might have figured something out...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2021, 10:15 PM
RE: 41CL - AMC_OS/X Module Question
(02-21-2021 02:51 PM)MaxQ Wrote:  Would anyone know if there is a way to change the default character mode when selecting calculator ALPHA mode with the AMC_OS/X ROM installed?

This module is most excellent and I'd like to leave it plugged while working, but it defaults to small letters whenever you select ALPHA mode. Since nearly 100% of all alpha inputs are capital letters, I'm always typing a file name, program name when saving, etc., then realizing it's the wrong character mode and backspacing to correct. In other words, to type in a quick file name I have to press USER, USER KEY, ALPHA, then USER again (to selected Caps) to get the correct format, then type file name. When working quickly, the extra USER gets forgotten. After a few times doing this I end up unplugging the ROM, then later on typing in a command (PGCAT) that comes up nonexistent.

I've read the excellent manual and it seems to be a fixed "feature", but I thought someone might have figured something out...

Why not just leave USER mode on? It seems you don't use it much, so having it on should not interfere???

--Bob Prosperi
02-22-2021, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2021 06:09 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(02-21-2021 02:51 PM)MaxQ Wrote:  Would anyone know if there is a way to change the default character mode when selecting calculator ALPHA mode with the AMC_OS/X ROM installed?

See quote from the October-2020 manual, at the bottom of page 18 of 60:
"If the lower case mode is not desired it can be suspended using the function TGLC – which toggles its status ON/OFF upon each repeated execution."
02-22-2021, 03:40 PM
Ah-ha! Most excellent sir...

Unfortunately, I started reading that paragraph but stopped when it referred to a special character being an IL or Printer command.

So as I understand it, executing TGLC (XEQ TGLC) will turn off the lower case option altogether, which works for me.

Thanks, Angel - Much appreciated. And, BTW, your documentation is in a class by itself. Truly outstanding. I'm a former Control Systems Engineer (BSEE) and I've written and supervised tech writers in producing documentation for commercial applications so I understand what it takes to produce tech docs of good quality. All your manuals are printed, put in binders and in my tech lib.

Thanks for all your hard work on all things HP41...
02-22-2021, 03:56 PM
(02-22-2021 03:40 PM)MaxQ Wrote:  Thanks, Angel - Much appreciated. And, BTW, your documentation is in a class by itself. Truly outstanding. I'm a former Control Systems Engineer (BSEE) and I've written and supervised tech writers in producing documentation for commercial applications so I understand what it takes to produce tech docs of good quality. All your manuals are printed, put in binders and in my tech lib.

Appreciate the feedback. They're obviously not perfect but I try for them to be complete, clear and useful - so they work for the casual and power user alike. Mostly because I tend to forget all about the many subjects covered by them, so a single source comes very handy.

Cheers,
ÁM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)