Help with imaginary number output from CAS
06-15-2014, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2014 11:41 PM by Rich.)
Help with imaginary number output from CAS
Hi, when "complex" option in the CAS settings is checked, I am getting a "_x" in the output. Is this the correct result and should interpret this as something significant?

I think this was seen in an another error earlier but I am unsure if this is what should be expect when having this setting checked.

I have attached a screenshot that has both results, the first with the "complex" checked and the second with it off.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2014, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 03:04 AM by Helge Gabert.)
RE: Help with imaginary number output from CAS
I have noticed that same "_x" returned with a couple of expressions to be solved as well.

While I don't know why it shows up (maybe someone from the HP team knows more), what helped me in those cases was to specify an interval for the solver (e.g., x=-2 .. 2 instead of just x), which returns the solution [-1 1] without any problems (with "complex" checked).

[edit: in your case that would be w = -2 . . 2].
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
(06-15-2014 11:35 PM)Rich Wrote:  Hi, when "complex" option in the CAS settings is checked, I am getting a "_x" in the output. Is this the correct result and should interpret this as something significant?

I think this was seen in an another error earlier but I am unsure if this is what should be expect when having this setting checked.

I have attached a screenshot that has both results, the first with the "complex" checked and the second with it off.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

My guess: _x is a free real variable. In other words, for any real value of _x there are two roots for w, given by those two complex expressions.

Nigel (UK)
06-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Thank you, I was able to complete my function with the suggestion of a very wide interval, though I later returned and just made an assumption that w was in the domain of a real integer.

For any future reference, this was the command assume(w, DOM_INT).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)