FRAM 71: Impact on start time
02-14-2021, 09:03 AM
FRAM 71: Impact on start time
Hi everyone,

My interest in FRAM71 was recently rekindled by Sylvain's & Hans' recent excellent posts - thank you.

I hadn't used the 71B that I have FRAM installed in for a while & I found the batteries had gone flat & couldn't get it going with fresh ones installed. Ended-up having to follow Sylvain's initiation procedure for the Nashville version & even that didn't bring it back to life until I removed the HP-IL module. The unit in question is version: 1BBB & HPIL: 1B.

Now that everything has been reset & HPIL module re-installed, I find it takes ~ 4 Seconds for the unit to start from the time I press the On button. This seems longer than what I recollect & was wondering if this is typical or I may have missed something in the way I reset the calculator & FRAM71?

Thanks,

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2021, 09:52 AM
RE: FRAM 71: Impact on start time
Could it be that you should use OFFIO (disable IL) and see if it starts faster. The IL always makes the machine slow, if no active devices are attached.

(02-14-2021 09:03 AM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  Hi everyone,

My interest in FRAM71 was recently rekindled by Sylvain's & Hans' recent excellent posts - thank you.

I hadn't used the 71B that I have FRAM installed in for a while & I found the batteries had gone flat & couldn't get it going with fresh ones installed. Ended-up having to follow Sylvain's initiation procedure for the Nashville version & even that didn't bring it back to life until I removed the HP-IL module. The unit in question is version: 1BBB & HPIL: 1B.

Now that everything has been reset & HPIL module re-installed, I find it takes ~ 4 Seconds for the unit to start from the time I press the On button. This seems longer than what I recollect & was wondering if this is typical or I may have missed something in the way I reset the calculator & FRAM71?

Thanks,

Michael
02-14-2021, 12:42 PM
(02-14-2021 09:03 AM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  I find it takes ~ 4 Seconds for the unit to start from the time I press the On button.

(02-14-2021 09:52 AM)KimH Wrote:  Could it be that you should use OFFIO (disable IL) and see if it starts faster. The IL always makes the machine slow, if no active devices are attached.

Kim is right, the HP-IL module is trying to configure the loop at power on but is failing to so.
The long startup time is the HP-IL module waiting to receive his configuration messages back.

Code:
OFF IO     → disable all HP-IL communications, including power on loop configuration
RESTORE IO → enable HP-IL communications and try to configure the loop
             if nothing is plugged then it fails with the message: "HPIL ERR: Loop Broken" with the same timeout delay as power on
02-15-2021, 08:40 AM
Thanks very much Kim & Sylvain & that worked. Start time is back to normal :-).

Cheers,

Michael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)