I love MoHPC!
03-18-2021, 03:57 AM
RE: I love MoHPC!
(03-15-2021 10:34 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  Here is a test link.

You can follow the links from that page to individual models, but you can't follow links farther than that since it is just a test directory.
Great look with mobile too. I hope this forum's all page has this nice look someday.
Question, Did you develop MoHPC Sans? At first, I think it should use Noto Sans. But in source that page use MoHPC Sans.

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2021, 04:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I got the screen shot of Chrome (unknown version) on Mac OS from the friend I asked, and it aligns and shows the proper monospaced font as well. I'm not sure what is going on on that one Mac. Some browser setting, extension, something wrong with fonts in general on that machine... Now I'm thinking that even if I got a Mac, I probably wouldn’t find it since there are probably too many combinations of extensions and settings. If you find out, I'd love to know!
03-18-2021, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 11:41 PM by cdmackay.)
Yes, my fault, I'm very sorry for wasting your time Dave (and the others who replied).

On that particular Mac, I have a font override plugin for web pages. I've used that for years, and never once had something like this happen but, when I disabled it, everything looks good, monospace & aligned.

apologies!

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2021, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2021 01:55 PM by Dave Hicks.)
Thanks for the info. I almost jokingly suggested you might have an extension or setting like: "force all fonts"!

Speaking of fonts, I started with the goal of just finding a decent system font stack, then having fonts downloaded from a font server, then reading that Chrome had made a change making it better to host your own fonts, then thinking, well if I'm hosting my own, then I don't have to settle for anything that isn't "just right", and ending up at creating combining diacritics and GPOS lookup tables and learning techniques by watching a guy on youtube who was working on a Baybayin font. So "picking a font" took a few months longer than originally planned.

On the sizes, I do recall seeing sites in the past that had text resize widgets, but my impression was that these days, sites just expect people to use ctrl +/- or ctrl-scroll wheel. I updated another 27 pages today but I haven't uploaded anything yet.
03-22-2021, 02:28 PM
Wow! The new design looks amazing. Somehow I managed to miss seeing updates to this thread for a month or so; I guess I should be paying more attention.

Anyway, the design is readable, it's clean, the colors contrast one another without looking garish, and your font choices are excellent (with Firefox 86 on Ubuntu, the code font looks monospaced), and I'm excited to see the whole museum take this look. The only thing I notice, stylistically---and other people have mentioned this too---is that some code blocks extend past the margins of the main text. I don't see this as much of a problem, though, because the thin and tall paragraphs are a lot easier to read than the long and fat ones in the old design.

I have just one question: do you think you'll take new, higher resolution photos of the collection? The current photos are fine, of course, but I'm curious if that's on your to-do list for the update.
03-23-2021, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2021 05:07 PM by Dave Hicks.)
I'm working though the top-level directory now. One thing I've been doing is taking one of the displayable pictures (usually a three-quarter view) and making it an in-line image within the body text. This leaves the question of whether to delete the reference to the same picture in the list of optional pictures at the bottom of each page. Any comments on that? Perhaps not a big deal either way??

On new images, very probably yes, someday. And some newer models. But first, the HTML modernization. I haven't really understood the favicon issue since it seems to be working fine on the two android phones that I have, but someday I'll try to look at that too.
03-23-2021, 05:25 PM
(03-23-2021 04:59 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I haven't really understood the favicon issue since it seems to be working fine on the two android phones that I have

And here too.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
03-23-2021, 05:33 PM
I have no issues on my phone, also Android.

re: machine photos.

I do like the idea of an inline shot, but I'd say there's no need at all to edit the lower section where the same image could be opened. The additional editing is just tedious and doesn't detract in any way. Applying new formatting to nearly 100 pages will be quite tedious enough IMHO.

Thanks for taking this on Dave, much appreciated. Big Grin

When you get to new models, reach out if you'd like help assembling to content for the various new pages.

--Bob Prosperi
03-23-2021, 05:47 PM
(03-23-2021 04:59 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I haven't really understood the favicon issue since it seems to be working fine on the two android phones that I have, but someday I'll try to look at that too.

It's not working on my iPhone. For what it's worth, of the sites in my Favorites view in Safari, all the ones that are showing a proper icon have one or more <link rel="icon"> elements in their <head> sections, and most of the ones that are not showing a proper icon have no <link rel="icon"> elements.

Of course it would be far too easy if this were the whole story, so there is one site that does have a <link rel="icon"> but nonetheless is not showing an icon in Favorites. That icon is 32x32 pixels (PNG format), so maybe Safari wants something larger. It seems like a very Apple thing to do, refusing to load low-resolution icons because they would look ugly when scaled up. All the sites that are showing proper icons in Favorites have at least one 64x64 icon, including my own site.
03-24-2021, 01:40 AM
It looks like it's only the resolution that matters. I just tested a site with a 64x64 /favicon.ico, without using a <link rel="icon"> element, and the icon is recognized by Safari on iOS, and rendered in the Favorites view.
03-24-2021, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2021 09:22 AM by EdS2.)
This page has a generator and a checker for favicon.ico - note that the *.ico format is not an image but a collection of images of various sizes, so you need a tool to make the file, or indeed use the page to do it.

But you do need a large enough image to start with: 48x48 at minimum, and preferably something which scales down nicely. The site recommends starting with a 70x70 at least, or using SVG:
Quote:Submit an image (PNG, JPG, SVG...), at least 70x70.
Your image should be 260x260 or more for optimal results.
03-24-2021, 02:36 PM
Dave Hicks Wrote:I'm working though the top-level directory now. One thing I've been doing is taking one of the displayable pictures (usually a three-quarter view) and making it an in-line image within the body text. This leaves the question of whether to delete the reference to the same picture in the list of optional pictures at the bottom of each page. Any comments on that? Perhaps not a big deal either way??

Well, after seeing how the sample pages look, I think an inline image acting as a "summary view" of a calculator model would be great. In my opinion, you should keep the links to other images, but only to those at the "large" resolution---after all, the largest images don't appear to be more than 300K in size, plenty small for even a slow connection. My thinking is that less relevant images, like the HP-35 prototype gallery, should stay as dedicated links, and one or two views is enough to summarize what that model looks like.

Just my thoughts. Honestly, with how clean and fresh the new design looks, you could do nothing more than update each page to match the new typography, and the site would be more than modern enough.

One more thing: I noticed a couple of months ago that the HP-41 page looked drastically different than the other pages, similar to the new design, but the change only lasted a couple of weeks before reverting to the old design. Did you push an update to that page to see how it looked?
03-27-2021, 12:34 AM
What makes this place for me, is the people.

I've been on some technical forums, that seem to exist, just so they can brutalize, those that aren't as technically knowledgeable.

The folks on here are good people.
03-29-2021, 10:59 PM
OK… a few hundred files have now been updated…. You can start here or here. You may have to reload if you have cached pages.
03-30-2021, 12:50 AM
Sounds (i.e. looks) great Dave.

Just curious, is the "Escape Frames" option still needed?

I think I used to use it a couple of decades ago, but forgot why.

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
03-30-2021, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2021 03:14 AM by Dave Hicks.)
OK - Escape Frames is gone. There was once this thing called frames, which was thought by many to be a bad idea, but it was the "cool new thing" for awhile and one of its features was that if you linked to another site without adding some syntax, the other site ended up in the first site's frames. I remember sending a picture to someone that showed what happened after I followed a link from his site to someone else's site and then a link from that site back to his. ie: three sets frames with a tiny area area in the lower right corner for the content.

Oh and Liam, it's possible I got a little fast and loose with the file uploading, since I was having someone try some files on a Mac and an iphone. I don't specifically remember loading one to the wrong directory and then correcting but I certainly won't say that's impossible!
03-30-2021, 03:40 AM
Very nice. However, I think .single can be expanded a little more on PC. Looks stuffy.

03-30-2021, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2021 06:30 AM by Joe Horn.)
Oh my, looking GOOD, Dave! By the way, if we download your "MoHPC Sans" and "MoHPC Keys" fonts, may we make use of them, or are they copyrighted?

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
03-30-2021, 02:05 PM
(03-30-2021 06:30 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Oh my, looking GOOD, Dave! By the way, if we download your "MoHPC Sans" and "MoHPC Keys" fonts, may we make use of them, or are they copyrighted?
After a few times, I discovered MoHPC Sans is same as Open Sans, MoHPC Keys is same as Source Code Pro. So I think we can use these fonts freely.
Please check out two links below. They looked like actually same font.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source...0computing
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Open+S...s%20(1972)
In CSS, We can change font's name whatever you want.

03-30-2021, 06:17 PM
Dave Hicks Wrote:Oh and Liam, it's possible I got a little fast and loose with the file uploading, since I was having someone try some files on a Mac and an iphone. I don't specifically remember loading one to the wrong directory and then correcting but I certainly won't say that's impossible!

Makes sense. It's possible my browser decided to play a trick on me; I'm pretty sure it's happened before.

Boy oh boy, it looks spectacular! All the formatting, fonts, and all that fit a modern website. The sidebar is a matching and pleasant shade of gray. The little red double-chevrons work great as bullet points, and the inline images for each model also complement the text well---what can I say? I probably sound like I'm gushing when I talk about these changes, but they look so darn good!

One more thing: if anybody's curious, it looks like the Wayback Machine has archived the Museum about a thousand and a half times, going all the way back to 1998. Not very useful, but kind of interesting.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)