Table of Contents for 48G AUR
01-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Table of Contents for 48G AUR
Hello everybody.

Several months ago, I had the fortune to get a 48GX, and enter the world of RPL. It's been amazing. I've used RPN for a long time, but RPL blows it out of the water in so many ways. It's been lots of fun and surprisingly educational to learn about the system as well as the Saturn processor itself and what makes the calculator so unique, even in its old age.

Anyway, I have an old e-reader, on which I have been keeping documents like the user manual, the excellent edb database, and a number of other very useful files, so that I can read them and use the calculator without a computer by my side. In doing so, I noticed that while the scan of the 48G user manual has a table of contents, the AUR doesn't, which makes navigating around it on a slow e-reader (or on any device, for that matter) quite difficult. So, with some free time I had over Christmas, I decided to fix this. I present to you: the HP 48G AUR with a full table of contents embedded in the PDF. This project, by the way, is the reason I joined the forum in the first place.

I hope you find it useful. If you see any errata, feel free to mention it and I'll update the file. (Also, I'm pretty sure I've made the file public. If you can't access it, let me know, and I can try to change something or use another tool).

-Liam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2021, 06:43 PM
RE: Table of Contents for 48G AUR
Thanks for the effort and sharing this Liam!!

Nice clean copy.

Now, the part you may not like...

Always look here, before deciding to scan a new manual...

https://literature.hpcalc.org/

Eric has amassed an enormous collection and has scanned and shared them all with the community, many of them available in various languages.

--Bob Prosperi
01-30-2021, 07:52 PM
rprosperi Wrote:Always look here, before deciding to scan a new manual...

Hi,

I should have clarified. I only modified the pre-existing scan, the one I linked to in my first post. I don't even own a physical copy of any of the 48's manuals, and I know I wouldn't want to scan one, especially not the AUR! Smile

That said, I didn't realize http://literature.hpcalc.org was a thing, so thank you for introducing me to it. I've always wanted to look at the SX manuals (and other models too), which I assumed were only available on the Museum flash drive, something I don't have.
01-30-2021, 09:00 PM
(01-30-2021 07:52 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  That said, I didn't realize http://literature.hpcalc.org was a thing, so thank you for introducing me to it. I've always wanted to look at the SX manuals (and other models too), which I assumed were only available on the Museum flash drive, something I don't have.

You're welcome!

Eric has the original 2-volume 48SX set of manuals, but also will shortly be adding the later, combined-into-1-manual version (I sent to him to scan and add to the list). Also, lots of folks never knew the 48GX AUR had an SX predecessor as the "HP48 Programmer's Reference Manual" which is also there.

Even with this enormous resource from Eric available, the MoHPC set is still very much worth having and very inexpensive for what you get. There are lots of non-manuals in there (3rd-party books, brochures, service manuals, and on and on....) and if you're in this hobby, I guarantee you'll appreciate having those materials.

--Bob Prosperi
01-31-2021, 03:03 AM
Very nice. I merged your Table of Contents into both the color and B&W AUR scans that I have on literature.hpcalc.org, so now you can just use those instead if you prefer. Thanks for making it.

The scans of the 48 manuals that I have on my main site are outdated and I should probably replace them with these. The B&W one is 10 MB smaller than before yet identical in quality and now has OCR, too, and the color one is about double the size of the old B&W one. I also scanned the full-color Quick Start Guide too, for the new site.

Bob, I actually already have the single-volume 48SX manual up there too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2021, 04:38 AM
(01-31-2021 03:03 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Bob, I actually already have the single-volume 48SX manual up there too.

Ahhh.... the name of the newer style dropped the "SX" in the title, so now it's earlier in the list. I did check, but didn't realize the name for this newer version was simply "HP 48 Owner's Manual". I guess they dropped the SX as the 48S had come out by then.

Thanks for integrating the TOC.

--Bob Prosperi
01-31-2021, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2021 03:30 PM by MNH.)
I also had no idea that http://literature.hpcalc.org was a thing. Very nice job, Eric! And thank you too, Liam for contributing! I just downloaded The HP 48 Handbook, 2nd edition by James Donnelly. I've had the soft-cover book since it was first published, however I like having the PDF version on my desktop.
02-01-2021, 09:56 PM
Though I don't see it on Eric's site, another very good reference is "HP-48 Insights- 48G version" by Bill Wickes. It has very good coverage of the new list processing functions in the 48G. It is available on the HP Museum thumb drive.
02-01-2021, 11:16 PM
(02-01-2021 09:56 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Though I don't see it on Eric's site, another very good reference is "HP-48 Insights- 48G version" by Bill Wickes. It has very good coverage of the new list processing functions in the 48G. It is available on the HP Museum thumb drive.

I agree, with John, I think that's the best book, by far, for learning RPL, learning how it works, how to use it better, etc. I have never met any RPL user, noob to expert, that didn't like it or learn something from it.

Of course folks that find RPL uninteresting probably are not impressed, but that's about it.

--Bob Prosperi
02-02-2021, 12:52 AM
Hello,

I don't think I realized how much was on the flash drive! I assumed it was only manuals and an occasional article or flyer or something like that.

John Keith Wrote:Though I don't see it on Eric's site, another very good reference is "HP-48 Insights- 48G version" by Bill Wickes.
Yes, I believe that...I just discovered HP-48 Insights, the original version (careful, direct link to the big PDF), and I'm reading it now. It's interesting to read what is basically a design study/full explanation written by the original creator of RPL.

With that, are any of some of the famous HP48 books still in print? The one I'm most interested in is the grey book (you know, An Introduction to HP 48 System...). The date on the front of the re-typeset version says 2009, but I don't know if that's when he wrote it or when Eric re-typeset it.
02-02-2021, 01:53 AM
(02-02-2021 12:52 AM)Liam Hays Wrote:  With that, are any of some of the famous HP48 books still in print? The one I'm most interested in is the grey book (you know, An Introduction to HP 48 System...). The date on the front of the re-typeset version says 2009, but I don't know if that's when he wrote it or when Eric re-typeset it.

That's when I re-typeset it. I have been meaning to make a better scan of my original copy so I can put the original scan up for download, too, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (it's been a very low priority since I made the new version which is superior in most ways).

I don't think any famous HP 48 books are still in print, though nothing stops you from printing one of the PDFs to make your own printed version.
02-02-2021, 02:13 PM
I would like to start with RPL too and since it seems lot of useful beginner information is being posted here I have several questions to ask:

* Do you normally program in the HP48 directly or use your computer? What's the best IDE for RPL available?

* In case you program directly in your HP48, is there a way to minimally ident the code as you write?

Thank you
02-02-2021, 03:10 PM
For programming on the computer, Debug4X is the most powerful option. It is most useful for SystemRPL but good for UserRPL as well. Debug4X includes EMU48, which is also available separately. On the PC, EMU48 is many times faster than a physical calculator and can emulate any model from the 48S to the 50g.

If you are only interested in UserRPL, HP User Edit is arguably the best choice. It is a full-feature IDE with many useful features.
02-02-2021, 03:29 PM
Eric do you plan to provide your literature archive as a torrent as well?
02-02-2021, 03:39 PM
(02-02-2021 03:29 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Eric do you plan to provide your literature archive as a torrent as well?

Eventually but not until it's more stable. I have more stuff to scan still.
02-02-2021, 11:23 PM
Hi,

amalahama Wrote:I would like to start with RPL too and since it seems lot of useful beginner information is being posted here I have several questions to ask:
Well, I'm no expert, but I can try to help. Do you have a calculator? If you have a 49/50, I personally don't own one and can't offer much help there. If you have a 48 then I can offer some help. Are you trying to learn User- or System-RPL?

amalahama Wrote:* Do you normally program in the HP48 directly or use your computer? What's the best IDE for RPL available?
There are reasons to use both. For example, it can be nice to have a development package on your 48 for small tests and experimentation, but larger projects demand a computer, because typing on the 48's keyboard is difficult at best.

As you likely know, you need extra programs or libraries to do anything besides User-RPL programming on the 48. I, and probably everybody else here, recommend Jazz for that, because Jazz is stable, fast, and can compile both System-RPL and assembly programs. (If you're low on memory, try out my stripped-down version of Jazz. It takes out some features I don't use, and you probably don't need.)

On the computer side, you have more choices. For Windows, as John Keith said, Debug4x is a great choice. I decided to try it out for a project recently, on a secondary computer, and the debugging features are incredibly useful. You can set breakpoints in your code, and then view the stack and any other parts of the RPL operating system, including the processor's registers, at any point in your code as it runs in an emulator. It's really cool!

On Linux, where I normally work, I've been using HP Tools patched with this patch. I just type System-RPL source into a text file and follow the instructions for compilation in Donnelly's book, available from the docs section above.

Finally, for raw User-RPL, I don't know about any IDEs. I just type it into a text file and send it to the calculator. It works fine for me, though I don't get syntax highlighting or any fancy features.

Quote:* In case you program directly in your HP48, is there a way to minimally ident the code as you write?

I use MiniWriter, which has the ability to automatically indent on each new line. TED, which is included in one of my light builds of Jazz, can also indent automatically.

All in all: you can program on both the 48 and a computer, the best IDE is Debug4x, and MiniWriter and TED (and probably others, too) can auto-indent.

I hope that was helpful.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)