Wanted: HP 28S
01-30-2021, 12:47 AM
Wanted: HP 28S
This calculator always had a special place in my heart. I have never owned one, but a friend loaned me his for a term while I was in university. I enjoyed having it for that term so much, that I decided to buy one. By then the 48 G models were happening, so I ended up with one of those.

There don’t seem to be many of these around for sale. Are they hard to find? Only 2 on eBay, one is damaged, the other they are asking an arm and a leg for it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: Wanted: HP 28S
Standard advice for anyone buying on fleabay: set up a saved search with email notification and be patient. Buy It Now prices are generally 2 to 10 times what you should actually pay. A deal will eventually come along. Or with luck someone here has a spare Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-30-2021, 07:01 PM
yup, I've been following that model on eBay, amongst others. They do come up occasionally, often quite dear.

It's quite common to find the battery door broken; as long as some DIY solution is in place, allowing it to work consistently, that's not a disaster. Mine (from eBay) is like this.

hopefully one will be along soon Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
01-30-2021, 08:34 PM
In 2018 I sold a pristine HP-28S with manuals for US$85 on eBay (highest bid). It had apparently been used very little and stored for many years without batteries so the battery door, like the rest of the calculator, was like new.

A month earlier I had sold a very nice HP-25C with rebuilt battery packs and books/accessories (including an external battery charger) for US$375.

Go figure.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2021, 11:53 AM
The 28S can be an odd duck on the Bay as it seems to be a model prone to self-destruction. Clean ones can go from $50 - $80+ - I think people just are a little wary as there is not much repairing to do if /when they go bad. Just have patience and don't be too wary of a missing door or a cranked door if you are looking for a "driver". Smile

One tip I gleaned from here was a dowel, foil and the smaller 11c type batteries in lieu of the N cells. Those N cells do put a lot of force on the door.

I do know the feeling regarding the 28s. I used a 15c throughout engineering and when a classmate had a 28 I was just amazed at it. But just couldn't afford one and the 15c handled all that could be chugged into it. Those two models are always special to me.

-Bill
02-07-2021, 08:42 AM
How much you wanna offer?
I have a perfect one with box and manuals, from Italy (shipping cost...).

By
02-07-2021, 09:14 PM
(01-30-2021 12:47 AM)KevGuy Wrote:  This calculator always had a special place in my heart. I have never owned one, but a friend loaned me his for a term while I was in university. I enjoyed having it for that term so much, that I decided to buy one. By then the 48 G models were happening, so I ended up with one of those.

There don’t seem to be many of these around for sale. Are they hard to find? Only 2 on eBay, one is damaged, the other they are asking an arm and a leg for it.

I’m very interested. Are this materials in Italian? I’m not sure what to offer tbh. I wouldn’t want to come off as trying to rip you off. Do you have a number?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)