Help on silly program
01-25-2021, 07:14 PM
Help on silly program
Hi all, I don't program in RPL a long time ago, I'm using RPN mostly, and I'm having troubles with this little program I want to write.

Given the formula attached on the files, what I want to calculate is the value of Va, Ha, Ma, Mb and Mc.

Firstable, I wrote all the formulas with the equation writer and store them as global variables.

Then, I created an inform input template where all the variables are gathered and stored in local variables.

Lastly, after the inform template I wanted to paste the equations within '' so that they can be evaluated in ALG mode but I only can evaluate the first one, after that I always get a ->NUM error. I think that the local variables are lost after the first ALG equation.

How would you write a program to do this?.

Thanks in advance.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2021, 10:43 PM
RE: Help on silly program
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/download...i_49gp.pdf

Did you try something like this? I have very little experience with using the Solve application. If I had to solve an equation with many variables, I would create an INPUT form. You are calculating a bending moment? I'm not an engineer. Can you provide an example problem along with a solution?
02-02-2021, 09:55 PM
Quote:Then, I created an inform input template where all the variables are gathered and stored in local variables.
That might be your problem. Local variables and global variables are different objects in RPL, so if your equations refer to global variables, which they almost certainly do, then they won't recognize the local variables that your inform might have created.

Can you post your code? I'm sure we can figure it out if you do.
02-03-2021, 02:06 AM
This post has actually inspired me to learn something more about civil engineering. I decided a bending moment wasn't my thing, so I picked fluid flow. I studied a bit about it over the weekend, the Colebrook equation in particular. Are there any civil engineers on these forums?
02-03-2021, 06:57 AM
Thank you for your replies. I'm using the solve aplication to deal with this and so far so good.
02-03-2021, 01:38 PM
(02-03-2021 02:06 AM)MNH Wrote:  This post has actually inspired me to learn something more about civil engineering. I decided a bending moment wasn't my thing, so I picked fluid flow. I studied a bit about it over the weekend, the Colebrook equation in particular. Are there any civil engineers on these forums?

There definitely are, but they may not be reading a thread called "Help on silly program". I suggest you create a thread with keywords relevant to your interest, such as "Civil Engineers with experience using the Colebrook equation?"

--Bob Prosperi
02-05-2021, 12:01 AM
(02-03-2021 01:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I suggest you create a thread with keywords relevant to your interest, such as "Civil Engineers with experience using the Colebrook equation?"

Will do, thanks!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)