Exploring the 71 IDS Restored Articles - TITAN-71B - John Baker
01-17-2021, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2021 03:23 PM by KimH.)
Exploring the 71 IDS Restored Articles - TITAN-71B - John Baker
I had a few challenges reading and understanding what I found in the excellent old articles from John Baker, so I took them into a PDF OCR'ed them and rebuilt them.

Hope it is OK to post them here, if not let me know

John Baker CHV2n1-7

If you find anything needing an update, let me know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2021, 01:34 PM
RE: John Baker Articles "Restored" - TITAN-71B
(01-17-2021 12:31 PM)KimH Wrote:  I had a few challenges reading and understanding what I found in the excellent old articles from John Baker, so I took them into a PDF OCR'ed them and rebuilt them.

Hope it is OK to post them here, if not let me know

John Baker CHV2n1-7

If you find anything needing an update, let me know.

WOW, these are excellent, totally recreated from scratch!!! Thanks for all the work and sharing this here.

A minor suggestion would be to adjust the title of this thread to something like "Exploring the 71 IDS Restored". Hard core Titan fans will no doubt recognize John's name, but new or less obsessed fans may not, while all will understand the reference to the IDS and look here immediately.

Thanks again!

--Bob Prosperi
01-17-2021, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2021 03:00 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: John Baker Articles "Restored" - TITAN-71B
Hello!

(01-17-2021 01:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  A minor suggestion would be to adjust the title of this thread to something like "Exploring the 71 IDS Restored".

Or maybe attach it to the already existing thread: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14882.html

Good effort though, thanks! And I already learned something form it: That the HP-71B (of which I own several) is called a "Titan". That was completely new for me - after all these decades of collecting.

Interestting also the that author at the time of writing the article (ca. 1985) had no phone at home, yet was one of the prime experts of what had to be the most expensive pocket calculator of these days! Different priorities back then...

Regards
Max
01-17-2021, 03:28 PM
RE: Exploring the 71 IDS Restored Articles - TITAN-71B - John Baker
Max, Bob - excellent input - done!
01-17-2021, 03:41 PM
Thank you for posting. These look very interesting and informative.
01-17-2021, 03:42 PM
(01-17-2021 12:31 PM)KimH Wrote:  I had a few challenges reading and understanding what I found in the excellent old articles from John Baker, so I took them into a PDF OCR'ed them and rebuilt them.
John Baker CHV2n1-7

The link doesn't work in my iPad2, it shows one line of text on an otherwise blank screen, complaining about cookies (which are activated, as is Javascript) and never opens the PDF document.

I'd appreciate it very much if some kind forum reader would place this PDF file somewhere else where I could open/download it.

Thanks.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2021, 04:22 PM
How about this way?

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Article 4

Article 5

Article 6

(01-17-2021 03:42 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
John Baker CHV2n1-7

The link doesn't work in my iPad2, it shows one line of text on an otherwise blank screen, complaining about cookies (which are activated, as is Javascript) and never opens the PDF document.

I'd appreciate it very much if some kind forum reader would place this PDF file somewhere else where I could open/download it.

Thanks.
V.
01-17-2021, 06:22 PM
(01-17-2021 04:22 PM)KimH Wrote:  How about this way?
[...]
Article 6

Thank you very much for your attempt to help me but regrettably it didn't work.

This is what I see when I click on the "Article 6" link (for example, the rest act the same way): this is all the text that it's shown, it's not cropped, there's no more text that can be scrolled or that will appear if I click on it, etc. I understand that your Article 6 PDF does indeed contain more text than the 19 lines shown here, which is all I can see:

[Image: IMG_1861.jpg]

The problem might lie with Dropbox not supporting my 10-year-old iPad 2. Perhaps if you (or some other kind forum reader) could make these PDF available somewhere else the problem might be solved.

Thanks in advance.
V.

01-17-2021, 06:35 PM
(01-17-2021 06:22 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Thank you very much for your attempt to help me but regrettably it didn't work.

Click DOWNLOAD in the upper right corner of this page.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/erblsmn7zfx04...o46JMHBxsa
01-17-2021, 11:35 PM
Hi, Dave:

(01-17-2021 06:35 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Click DOWNLOAD in the upper right corner of this page.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/erblsmn7zfx04...o46JMHBxsa

Thanks a lot for your attempt to help me but again it didn't work, clicking on the link you provided I see no DOWNLOAD link (or button) or anything on the otherwise blank page except for the one line of text , complaining about cookies (which are activated, as is Javascript). Nothing else.

I fear that as long as Dropbox is involved I won't be able to get to see the document in its entirety (I assume "Article 6" was more than 19 lines long). If someone can put the PDF document on a link on a "normal" site (not Dropbox or anything like that) it might work.

Thanks anyway, much appreciated.
V.

01-18-2021, 12:24 AM
(01-17-2021 11:35 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Thanks a lot for your attempt to help me but again it didn't work ...

There's always the brute force method ...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15zerLYE...sp=sharing
01-18-2021, 03:52 AM
iOS & iPad devices does not have access to the file system, applications are sandboxed.
PDF can be seen in mobile Safari if the file is shared directly through HTTP/HTTPS from a web server.
If you have an iCloud account and iCloud Drive is activated, you can download the zip file to the iCloud drive, then extract the file there, then you can open the file from iCloud through HTTPS, all within mobile Safari.
01-18-2021, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2021 07:31 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(01-18-2021 03:52 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  iOS & iPad devices does not have access to the file system, applications are sandboxed.
PDF can be seen in mobile Safari if the file is shared directly through HTTP/HTTPS from a web server.
If you have an iCloud account and iCloud Drive is activated, you can download the zip file to the iCloud drive, then extract the file there, then you can open the file from iCloud through HTTPS, all within mobile Safari.

The web, the apple way...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
01-18-2021, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2021 08:31 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
Replacing "www" at the the beginning of Dropbox links by "dl" and "?dl=0" at the end by "?dl=1" should provide direct links to the files:

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
Article 4
Article 5
Article 6
01-18-2021, 01:07 PM
(01-18-2021 08:29 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Replacing "www" at the the beginning of Dropbox links by "dl" and "?dl=0" at the end by "?dl=1" should provide direct links to the files:
Yep! working, thanks Didier.
01-18-2021, 01:59 PM
(01-18-2021 08:29 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Replacing "www" at the the beginning of Dropbox links by "dl" and "?dl=0" at the end by "?dl=1" should provide direct links to the files:

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
Article 4
Article 5
Article 6

Neat trick Didier, thanks for sharing that.

How on earth did you find this? I recall a similar substitution worked several years ago with some other download links (or perhaps even DropBox then too) but there are so many possibilities, it's hard to even guess where to start.

--Bob Prosperi
01-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that Didier!

I think we all learned something new from this.

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
Article 4
Article 5
Article 6
01-18-2021, 02:27 PM

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
Article 4
Article 5
Article 6

Turns out you don't even need to change www into dl
Article 1

Greetings,
    Massimo

01-18-2021, 02:34 PM
(01-18-2021 01:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Neat trick Didier, thanks for sharing that.

How on earth did you find this? I recall a similar substitution worked several years ago with some other download links (or perhaps even DropBox then too) but there are so many possibilities, it's hard to even guess where to start.

Well, Dropbox direct links are a recurrent topic and a simple Google search will provide the answer.

(01-18-2021 02:27 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Turns out you don't even need to change www into dl
Article 1

Yes, but according to this site sometimes you will need to change also www into dl, so I wanted to play safe to ensure that Valentin could download the files on his iPad 2.
01-18-2021, 02:40 PM
(01-18-2021 02:34 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(01-18-2021 02:27 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Turns out you don't even need to change www into dl
Article 1

Yes, but according to this site sometimes you will need to change also www into dl, so I wanted to play safe to ensure that Valentin could download the files on his iPad 2.

Then dl.dropbox and dl.dropboxusercontent seem to both work.

Greetings,
    Massimo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)