The HP-37s scientific calculator?
01-01-2021, 09:29 PM
RE: The HP-37s scientific calculator?
(12-30-2020 10:23 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(12-30-2020 10:00 PM)EngineerX Wrote:  ... to save battery ...

One thing that I forgot on my wish list: I never ever want to buy a product again (and that includes calculators) that only runs on disposable batteries. Either it consumes so little energy that it can be powered a solar cell or it needs a rechargeable battery. Like every piece of cheap Chinese junk does since a decade or so.

I disagree. You'll always be able to find coin and pen cells.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2021, 09:44 PM
Hello!

(01-01-2021 09:29 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  I disagree. You'll always be able to find coin and pen cells.

It's not a matter of finding them. It's about avoiding unnecessary and non-recyclable waste. A rechargeable Lithuim cell and a non-rechargable one are almost identical internally. There is absolutely no reason why disposable ones are still manufactured. This applies to all kinds of batteries, not just Lithium coin cells.

Regards
Max
01-01-2021, 10:10 PM
(12-31-2020 11:58 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  RPN - of course, but with the perfect integration between CAS and a 4 level stack - not two environments as in Prime, neither a free level stack, as 50g - but if difficult to create something like this, so a free stack.
Of course, the SD card for storage and USB connection to computer and recharging process.

Maybe a gift from HP, or Swiss Micros to us in 2021!
Happy new year!!!
Hello Artur, not to put a dumper on your calc bbq but did you know you'll have to multiply the price of anything SM by 6 (at least) to convert from Swiss franc to Brazilian Reals? Not to mention taxes. So, a machine as nice as the DM42 would cost at least R$1200 for us here. Not sure I will ever buy one. That's the main reason I don't even bother discussing it. It's just ridiculous.
01-02-2021, 05:45 AM
(01-01-2021 10:10 PM)EngineerX Wrote:  
(12-31-2020 11:58 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  RPN - of course, but with the perfect integration between CAS and a 4 level stack - not two environments as in Prime, neither a free level stack, as 50g - but if difficult to create something like this, so a free stack.
Of course, the SD card for storage and USB connection to computer and recharging process.

Maybe a gift from HP, or Swiss Micros to us in 2021!
Happy new year!!!
Hello Artur, not to put a dumper on your calc bbq but did you know you'll have to multiply the price of anything SM by 6 (at least) to convert from Swiss franc to Brazilian Reals? Not to mention taxes. So, a machine as nice as the DM42 would cost at least R$1200 for us here. Not sure I will ever buy one. That's the main reason I don't even bother discussing it. It's just ridiculous.
Maybe you can have Michael send you the parts and you can assemble them in Brazil!
01-02-2021, 06:33 AM
I mostly wish that the 35S could have been repurposed.
  • It has the same ROM size as the 20b/30b/34S.
  • It has five-eight times the RAM of the 20b/30b/34S.
  • It has a nicer colour scheme and keyboard.
  • It's a scientific calculator.

We could have performed surprising magic using the 35S as a base. Instead we were forced to use the 20b/30b and had to make some (albeit not too many) compromises.

Pauli
01-02-2021, 08:51 AM
(01-01-2021 01:56 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I'd want a Planar Gas Discharge (Panaplex) display. Nice orange digits like Nixies. The green digits on the CRT of an HP 9100 are great, too!

I think I’m partial to the Nixies because they aren’t 7-segment. I would prefer green if there was a gas you could use that was green.

I also remember a field trip when I was ib high school (so circa 1971) to a local Wang office and soling their desktop calculators with Nixies. Remember, this was pre-HP-35, too.-kby
01-02-2021, 11:19 AM
(12-30-2020 09:57 PM)twoweims Wrote:  
(12-30-2020 09:25 PM)Peet Wrote:  Must have:
storage access

How it could look:

Looks great. But should have HP-IL and a 14 segment font! Wink

I'd prefer a HP-IR output and a separate IR to HP-IL Interface. That would make the calculator thin and the IR to HP-IL Interface could also be used for other calculators Smile=
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2021, 12:08 PM
(01-02-2021 11:19 AM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I'd prefer a HP-IR output and a separate IR to HP-IL Interface. That would make the calculator thin and the IR to HP-IL Interface could also be used for other calculators Smile=

Without a modern interface this would be a non-starter. It would be nice for some people to have an new calculator with IL but I can't see why this calculator would be thinner than an USB-C Port or a Micro-SD Slot. IL in addition would be good, instead was very bad.

I suspect a computer without USB / SD has no chance of becoming a flagship because there are not many people who want to re-enter thousands of lines of code on a calculator after each reset.
01-02-2021, 03:45 PM
[kby]...we had a Wang Nixie tube calculator in our high school physics classroom! ~1971 as well! If I remember correctly, the display color was an amber color. In a math classroom, we had an HP 9100A with plotter. I dreamed of having something like it for myself, never imagining that much more sophisticated technology would become available in handheld size during my lifetime!
01-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Hello all,

this is the fiftieth post, about a mission impossible. HP will never produce a new calc not a a 37s nor any other one, HP has lost its innovative power towards the calculators! Have a look to the manual of the 35s and what you see for example about the integration issues, it is the same you can find in the manual for the 15c.

No innovation in numerical integration in the last 40 years? So what? Hardcoded several integration algorithms, the user can choose or even more sophisticated, the calc decides which one gives the best approximation.

The famous HP calculator era is gone and never come back. The old models are the best ones in its times. So collect them, repair them, use them and beware your treasures!
01-03-2021, 12:11 AM
(01-02-2021 09:45 PM)peacecalc Wrote:  Hello all,

this is the fiftieth post, about a mission impossible. HP will never produce a new calc not a a 37s nor any other one, HP has lost its innovative power towards the calculators! Have a look to the manual of the 35s and what you see for example about the integration issues, it is the same you can find in the manual for the 15c.

No innovation in numerical integration in the last 40 years? So what? Hardcoded several integration algorithms, the user can choose or even more sophisticated, the calc decides which one gives the best approximation.

The famous HP calculator era is gone and never come back. The old models are the best ones in its times. So collect them, repair them, use them and beware your treasures!

Yes, I think you gave a good closure to the thread.

But it's good to dream, make us feel better.

For me, I would be very happy if HP makes another batch of the 15C LE.

It costs nothing to dream.

Cheers
01-03-2021, 01:20 AM
The 35s parts will eventually reach end-of-line (EOL). They know there's a market for scientific calculators. If HP had decided to quit the buz, they'd never have invested in the prime.
01-03-2021, 03:08 AM
(01-03-2021 01:20 AM)EngineerX Wrote:  The 35s parts will eventually reach end-of-line (EOL). They know there's a market for scientific calculators. If HP had decided to quit the buz, they'd never have invested in the prime.

Even without the HP 35S, HP still currently sells a range of financial (HP 10BII+, HP 17BII+, HP-12C), scientific (HP 10S+, HP 300S+) and one graphing calculator (HP Prime).
https://store.hp.com/us/en/plp/accessori...y=in-stock

If they needed additional models of scientific calculators they could always just hire some company (like Kinpo Electronics?) to design and manufacture them like they did with the HP 10S+ and HP 300S+. Unlike the HP 35S, HP probably would not even have to come up with much of a specification for the manufacturer. A simple "Must do most of the functions of a Casio model xxx" would do.

Yes this is what I suspect it has come to with Corporate HP.
01-03-2021, 10:20 AM
(01-03-2021 03:08 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Even without the HP 35S, HP still currently sells a range of financial (HP 10BII+, HP 17BII+, HP-12C), scientific (HP 10S+, HP 300S+) and one graphing calculator (HP Prime).

The 10s+ and 300s+ are already discontinued.

(01-03-2021 03:08 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  https://store.hp.com/us/en/plp/accessori...y=in-stock

Sadly, HP's own website is one of the most inaccurate indicators of availability.

(01-03-2021 03:08 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  If they needed additional models of scientific calculators they could always just hire some company (like Kinpo Electronics?) to design and manufacture them like they did with the HP 10S+ and HP 300S+.

Kinpo had nothing to do with the 10s+ and 300s+. They are obvious Casio OEM machines.

http://techy.horwits.com/2018/12/is-it-r...ckard.html

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
01-03-2021, 12:30 PM
(01-03-2021 10:20 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Kinpo had nothing to do with the 10s+ and 300s+. They are obvious Casio OEM machines.

Shame. They did not even bother to erase the name of the original manufacturer, that is Casio.
01-03-2021, 01:52 PM
(12-30-2020 03:20 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
(12-30-2020 02:59 PM)EngineerX Wrote:  If HP were to release the successor of the 35s, what features should it have?

Less bugs.

V.

But the 33S already has a V-shaped keyboard!

Ah. That's your signature. Never mind - carry on.
:-)
01-04-2021, 12:27 AM
Perhaps it would be a natural successor to the 27s as well -- thus it could have all of the features the 27s has as well as all those of the 35s. (EG the TVM functions). But unlike the 27s it should have the RPN option. A better display is a must (perhaps 4-line), and the ability to transfer from PC to the calculator.

How about a solar power option too?

Either way it would have to be at least as functional and as inexpensive as the Casio 991EX, the TI-36Pro, and the top end Sharp -- but RPN is a must.

Or do we have something like that already -- or in the works -- the WP43s type machine? Whose only knock is that it is incomplete (and probably will be rather expensive!)
01-04-2021, 12:54 AM
(01-03-2021 10:20 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 03:08 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Even without the HP 35S, HP still currently sells a range of financial (HP 10BII+, HP 17BII+, HP-12C), scientific (HP 10S+, HP 300S+) and one graphing calculator (HP Prime).

The 10s+ and 300s+ are already discontinued.

(01-03-2021 03:08 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  https://store.hp.com/us/en/plp/accessori...y=in-stock

Sadly, HP's own website is one of the most inaccurate indicators of availability.

(01-03-2021 03:08 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  If they needed additional models of scientific calculators they could always just hire some company (like Kinpo Electronics?) to design and manufacture them like they did with the HP 10S+ and HP 300S+.

Kinpo had nothing to do with the 10s+ and 300s+. They are obvious Casio OEM machines.

I did not realize the HP 10s+ and 300s+ were already discontinued. As you say, the HP Store website is worse than useless for determining what calculators are still produced. There are indications that the HP 35S has been discontinued as well.

I see that the HP 10S+ was a functional clone of the Casio fx-300MS. I don't see what Casio model the HP 300S+ was based on. I do see where the calculator forensic result from the HP 300S+ does not match any Casio model (or any model currently in the forensic result table.) It makes me wonder who actually made them for HP?
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-672-page-2.html
01-04-2021, 01:50 AM
(01-04-2021 12:54 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  ... There are indications that the HP 35S has been discontinued as well.
Could you elaborate on that?
Thanks
01-04-2021, 02:44 AM
(01-04-2021 01:50 AM)EngineerX Wrote:  
(01-04-2021 12:54 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  ... There are indications that the HP 35S has been discontinued as well.
Could you elaborate on that?
Thanks

It was originally mentioned by Klaas Kuperus who *says* he is the product manager for an HP distributor in Czechia. grsbanks also added that, according to the main stockist for Europe, the 35S already is discontinued. Unfortunately no one who works for HP has come forward to confirm if it has been discontinued in all markets or only in Europe.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16...#pid139817

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)