Windows 10 -> HP 200 LX
12-12-2020, 07:30 PM
Windows 10 -> HP 200 LX
I am looking to copy some DOS applications from Windows 10 to an HP 200 LX.

I see that this subject is covered (with varying degrees of difficulty), but I wanted to ask again, in case a simpler solution is available. I do have the serial cable, but not sure what to use on the Windows side. I have developed a Serial Port app in C# that I used to transfer data to/from a TRS-80 Model 100, but those were all BASIC apps, i.e. text.

Telly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2020, 07:56 PM
RE: Windows 10 -> HP 200 LX
If you want something quick and simple, download TeraTerm and send the files with X-MODEM (or your choice of file transfer protocols supported by the DataComm program on the 200LX). If you want to get fancier with the serial port, you can install the 200LX Connectivity Pack and connect Filer on the two machines. The Connectivity Pack is a DOS program, so you'll need to run it in some sort of virtualization software.

For an easier, longer-term solution, I would recommend getting a compact flash card with PCMCIA adapter, and a USB compact flash reader for your PC. SanDisk cards of 256 MB or less generally work with no fuss.
12-12-2020, 08:36 PM
(12-12-2020 07:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  For an easier, longer-term solution, I would recommend getting a compact flash card with
PCMCIA adapter, and a USB compact flash reader for your PC. SanDisk cards of 256 MB or less generally work with no fuss.

Thank you Dave. I do have an HP PCMCIA card and looked into this sometime back, but was not sure if any of those solutions would work. I bought USB floppy disk drives in the past for a similar reason, but was never able to read an older 3.5" floppy.

Do you think that something like that would work:
https://www.amazon.com/PCMCIA-Memory-Rea...ef=sr_1_10
12-12-2020, 09:06 PM
(12-12-2020 08:36 PM)TellyS Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 07:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  For an easier, longer-term solution, I would recommend getting a compact flash card with
PCMCIA adapter, and a USB compact flash reader for your PC. SanDisk cards of 256 MB or less generally work with no fuss.

Thank you Dave. I do have an HP PCMCIA card and looked into this sometime back, but was not sure if any of those solutions would work. I bought USB floppy disk drives in the past for a similar reason, but was never able to read an older 3.5" floppy.

Do you think that something like that would work:

If your PC can write SD cards already, then this is much easier and a bit cheaper; just write the files to the SD card, then insert the card into this adapter and insert this into the 200LX. I use it regularly (not often but whenever I need to copy files to the 200LX); it's quite reliable. Also, you probably find these en eBay for almost nothing.

And as far as I know, any brand is fine, they're all pretty much the same.

https://www.amazon.com/LILIWELL-Laptop-P...B07T7JZHTK

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2020, 09:30 PM
(12-12-2020 09:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If your PC can write SD cards already, then this is much easier and a bit cheaper; just write the files to the SD card, then insert the card into this adapter and insert this into the 200LX. I use it regularly (not often but whenever I need to copy files to the 200LX); it's quite reliable. Also, you probably find these en eBay for almost nothing.

That's a CompactFlash adapter like the one Dave mentioned, not SD.
12-12-2020, 09:35 PM
(12-12-2020 09:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  That's a CompactFlash adapter like the one Dave mentioned, not SD.

Yes, I saw that. I assume he meant SD-to-PCMCI. Something like that:

https://www.amazon.com/Digigear-PCMCIA-A...DBZZ2V1DJS

This might be the best (and fastest) solution.
12-12-2020, 09:39 PM
(12-12-2020 07:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If you want something quick and simple, download TeraTerm and send the files with X-MODEM (or your choice of file transfer protocols supported by the DataComm program on the 200LX). If you want to get fancier with the serial port, you can install the 200LX Connectivity Pack and connect Filer on the two machines. The Connectivity Pack is a DOS program, so you'll need to run it in some sort of virtualization software.

Dave,
While I am waiting for my PCMCIA adapter to arrive, I am experimenting with the TeraTerm solution you suggested. I have the right 200LX cable, I am sure, and a Serial-to-USB cable connected to it. TeraTerm requires a Checksum/CRC/1K option to transfer via XMODEM. I don't see a similar option on the 200LX side. Is there a default setting that I cannot find in the DataComm app?
12-12-2020, 10:00 PM
(12-12-2020 08:36 PM)TellyS Wrote:  Do you think that something like that would work:

Yes it does. I'm using exactly this device. However it doesn't read my HP 10MB flash disk(F1013B). And there is another flash disk, labelled ACE Technologies(6MB), it doesn't read. Both of them work fine in all my 200LX.

I have 2 flash disks from SanDisk(10 and 20MB) that work o.K. and a couple of compact flash disks ranging from 16 to 256 MB. All of them work without problems through PCMCIA adapters for CompactFlash disks of various brands.

I think it's a good idea to look for a PCMCIA adapter for compact flash disk - and for at least one of these compact flash disks.

Günter
12-12-2020, 10:04 PM
(12-12-2020 09:39 PM)TellyS Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 07:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If you want something quick and simple, download TeraTerm and send the files with X-MODEM (or your choice of file transfer protocols supported by the DataComm program on the 200LX). If you want to get fancier with the serial port, you can install the 200LX Connectivity Pack and connect Filer on the two machines. The Connectivity Pack is a DOS program, so you'll need to run it in some sort of virtualization software.

Dave,
While I am waiting for my PCMCIA adapter to arrive, I am experimenting with the TeraTerm solution you suggested. I have the right 200LX cable, I am sure, and a Serial-to-USB cable connected to it. TeraTerm requires a Checksum/CRC/1K option to transfer via XMODEM. I don't see a similar option on the 200LX side. Is there a default setting that I cannot find in the DataComm app?

It's been a little while since I messed with TeraTerm, so I don't recall what options you have there. Is there a plain X-MODEM option rather than X-MODEM 1K? I believe that was just a variant of X-MODEM with a larger packet size for slightly increased performance.
12-12-2020, 10:07 PM
(12-12-2020 10:04 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  It's been a little while since I messed with TeraTerm, so I don't recall what options you have there. Is there a plain X-MODEM option rather than X-MODEM 1K? I believe that was just a variant of X-MODEM with a larger packet size for slightly increased performance.

X-Modem requires one of the three options: Checksum, CRC, 1K. I will try Z-Modem. That has none.

Thank you.
12-12-2020, 10:09 PM
(12-12-2020 10:07 PM)TellyS Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 10:04 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  It's been a little while since I messed with TeraTerm, so I don't recall what options you have there. Is there a plain X-MODEM option rather than X-MODEM 1K? I believe that was just a variant of X-MODEM with a larger packet size for slightly increased performance.

X-Modem requires one of the three options: Checksum, CRC, 1K. I will try Z-Modem. That has none.

Thank you.

Gotcha, I believe it would be either Checksum or CRC for talking to the palmtop. But if they can both do Z-MODEM, even better, as I remember that being faster from back when modems were slow and that sort of thing mattered. Wink
12-13-2020, 03:53 AM
(12-12-2020 09:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 09:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If your PC can write SD cards already, then this is much easier and a bit cheaper; just write the files to the SD card, then insert the card into this adapter and insert this into the 200LX. I use it regularly (not often but whenever I need to copy files to the 200LX); it's quite reliable. Also, you probably find these en eBay for almost nothing.

That's a CompactFlash adapter like the one Dave mentioned, not SD.

yeah, wrong link... but I think the idea was clear.

Writing cards like SD or CF are a lot less hassle, but then you don't get the satisfaction of fighting with baud rates, parity, endless settings, etc. YMMV.

--Bob Prosperi
12-13-2020, 07:30 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but can't you use HyperTerminal (There should exist a clone for win10) or PuTTY?
Or any other file transfer via Linux WSL terminal on win10?

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-13-2020, 09:16 PM
(12-13-2020 07:30 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  Maybe a stupid question, but can't you use HyperTerminal (There should exist a clone for win10) or PuTTY?
Or any other file transfer via Linux WSL terminal on win10?

Yes, but setting up a serial link requires a cable and usually a serial to USB adapter. A CF card is much more convenient.

BTW, I believe the 95LX used SRAM cards vs CF.

Dave

PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
12-13-2020, 10:50 PM
(12-13-2020 09:16 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  BTW, I believe the 95LX used SRAM cards vs CF.

For the most part, yes, though there are a few CF cards that can be made to work with the 95LX with the appropriate drivers (32 MB max). They usually cause very high standby battery drain, though, so they aren't ideal for leaving in the 95LX all the time like you would in a 200LX.
12-14-2020, 08:27 PM
(12-13-2020 09:16 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

Ironically, I first learned about the Personal Computer Memory Card Industry Association from HP's Eric Vogel when he visited our Philadelphia PAHHC group in April of 1991 to introduce the HP95LX to us. The big "reveal" was when he first pulled the machine out of his jacket pocket. The group met in a classroom at Drexel University and Eric wrote "PCMCIA" out on the chalkboard after showing off some memory cards for the '95. We had a heck of a time remembering that acronym :-)
Jake
12-14-2020, 08:54 PM
(12-12-2020 07:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If you want to get fancier with the serial port, you can install the 200LX Connectivity Pack and connect Filer on the two machines. The Connectivity Pack is a DOS program, so you'll need to run it in some sort of virtualization software.

For an easier, longer-term solution, I would recommend getting a compact flash card with PCMCIA adapter, and a USB compact flash reader for your PC. SanDisk cards of 256 MB or less generally work with no fuss.

First, I agree - definitely get a Compact Flash Card and a USB CF Reader for the Windows PC. It's the fastest way to transfer files to the 200LX, plus will give you plenty of storage space on it also.

Second - You can install DosBox on the PC and run the Connectivity Pack in it. If you want to use the RS-232 to transfer files, then you need to map the USB port with the RS-232 to USB cable to a com port in DosBox. I've done it - not sure I could remember all the required steps now.

But just get the CF card. Life will be much more enjoyable.

Bill
WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
12-14-2020, 08:59 PM
[/quote]
Writing cards like SD or CF are a lot less hassle, but then you don't get the satisfaction of fighting with baud rates, parity, endless settings, etc. YMMV.
[/quote]

Bob,

I got the SD-to-PCMCIA card, but the smallest SD I have is 32 MB. It cannot read it/format it. So, I have to find a smaller one. BTW, I found (in one of my drawers) an HP Palmtop PC CF-to-PCMCIA card with an HP CF card and that works, but now I don't have a CF card reader for my PC. When I was throwing it out, I remember saying "someday I will need this thing."
12-14-2020, 10:16 PM
(12-14-2020 08:59 PM)TellyS Wrote:  Bob,

I got the SD-to-PCMCIA card, but the smallest SD I have is 32 MB. It cannot read it/format it. So, I have to find a smaller one. BTW, I found (in one of my drawers) an HP Palmtop PC CF-to-PCMCIA card with an HP CF card and that works, but now I don't have a CF card reader for my PC. When I was throwing it out, I remember saying "someday I will need this thing."

Ain't that always the case. Smile At least you can get nice USB 3.0 and/or USB-C multi-card readers for like $20 these days.
12-14-2020, 10:17 PM
Finally, I found a CF card reader, loaded the large SD drive support from this link:

http://bmuessig.eu/using-cf-cards-in-the-hp-100lx

and now have a 32 MB SD card operational! Thank you all for your help.

PS: I will still try to use the Serial Port to transfer files. Much more cool, as someone mentioned.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)