:3:Filename Enter
then do restore and the 50g is restored

3 is for the SD card
2 is for the Flash memory
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2014, 04:05 AM
RE: 50G backup
(06-16-2014 12:42 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  Is there a good program to backup 50G?

At least a few of the backup apps listed here are applicable for the 50g. Most of them utilize ARCHIVE in one way or another, and it appears that most have additional features on top of that (date/time stamping, saving flags, ports, etc.).

Backup needs vary from person to person. My own backup strategy involves a custom app which backs up all ports (0-2) and all flag settings to a directory that varies with the date on the SD card. I then periodically backup the SD card on a computer. This is probably overkill for most folks, but it works well for my needs.

Take a look at some of the programs listed in the section linked above. If nothing else, you may get some ideas for how you would create your own if none of the above suit your needs.
06-16-2014, 10:58 AM
yes, my needs are different. I just wanted to backup the HOME directory, flags, stack and key assignments to :3:. that way I can recover from any crash that wipes the memory. I started to write my own code and it does work good but occasionally gives "object in use" error when it's saving to the SD card.
The built in archive command is good but misses some stuff (like the stack). I'll keep coding my little program but thought there might be something written mostly in RPL that everyone is using.
is there a way to run a 50G program on calculator start-up like the PC autoexec.bat?

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
06-16-2014, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 11:33 AM by HP67.)
(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  yes, my needs are different. I just wanted to backup the HOME directory, flags, stack and key assignments to :3:. that way I can recover from any crash that wipes the memory.

ARCHIVE does that, sortof. You should save your flags in some variable in HOME. Same thing with your keys. You can turn the stack into a LIST as shown in the doc, something like

DEPTH ->LIST and save it in a variable. Put this all in a program and you have a backup for all you want, except that you have to either delete the previous version or use generated names.

(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  I'll keep coding my little program but thought there might be something written mostly in RPL that everyone is using.

In HP 48 Insights Vol 1. there is a backup program shown. Can you get a copy?

(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  is there a way to run a 50G program on calculator start-up like the PC autoexec.bat?

Yes, STARTUP. See User Guide Appendix D-9.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-16-2014, 02:24 PM
(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  yes, my needs are different. I just wanted to backup the HOME directory, flags, stack and key assignments to :3:. that way I can recover from any crash that wipes the memory. I started to write my own code and it does work good but occasionally gives "object in use" error when it's saving to the SD card.
The built in archive command is good but misses some stuff (like the stack). I'll keep coding my little program but thought there might be something written mostly in RPL that everyone is using.
is there a way to run a 50G program on calculator start-up like the PC autoexec.bat?

"Object In Use" can be a bit tricky to debug, because there's a wide variety of causes. One in particular that I believe is consistent is if you try to store something in a port (or create an ARCHIVE) when there's already an object with the same name in that location. I'm pretty sure you'll have to PURGE the pre-existing object before the 50g will allow that. There's other causes, too. Try googling the comp.sys.hp48 group for "object in use" and you'll find quite a few references. You'll also find a wealth of information there pertaining to ARCHIVE, RESTORE, issues pertaining to key assignments, alarms, etc.

Another set of commands you may want to investigate is PUSH and POP. Those might be useful for what you are doing.
06-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Yes, you will get Error: Object In Use if when trying to ARCHIVE with the same name as a preexisting ARCHIVE.

You can either generate unique names or delete any existing archive before issuing the archive command.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-17-2014, 11:49 PM
See pages 2-8 and 2-9 in the hp48gaur, available
at http://www.hpcalc.org/, to preserve flag status.
06-18-2014, 12:16 AM
(06-16-2014 03:39 AM)Dougggg Wrote:  The built-in Archive and Restore work pretty good

you just have to

then do Archive and it Saves everything to the SD Card

if you need to restore then

then do restore and the 50g is restored

3 is for the SD card
2 is for the Flash memory

I'm lazy I just want to push a button Smile

(06-16-2014 11:18 AM)HP67 Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  yes, my needs are different. I just wanted to backup the HOME directory, flags, stack and key assignments to :3:. that way I can recover from any crash that wipes the memory.

ARCHIVE does that, sortof. You should save your flags in some variable in HOME. Same thing with your keys. You can turn the stack into a LIST as shown in the doc, something like

DEPTH ->LIST and save it in a variable. Put this all in a program and you have a backup for all you want, except that you have to either delete the previous version or use generated names.

(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  I'll keep coding my little program but thought there might be something written mostly in RPL that everyone is using.

In HP 48 Insights Vol 1. there is a backup program shown. Can you get a copy?

(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  is there a way to run a 50G program on calculator start-up like the PC autoexec.bat?

Yes, STARTUP. See User Guide Appendix D-9.

thanks for the tips, I can't get/find that 48 Insights, I now remember something about the STARTUP I'll have to research it some and do more coding Smile

(06-16-2014 02:24 PM)DavidM Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 10:58 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  yes, my needs are different. I just wanted to backup the HOME directory, flags, stack and key assignments to :3:. that way I can recover from any crash that wipes the memory. I started to write my own code and it does work good but occasionally gives "object in use" error when it's saving to the SD card.

"Object In Use" can be a bit tricky to debug, because there's a wide variety of causes. One in particular that I believe is consistent is if you try to store something in a port (or create an ARCHIVE) when there's already an object with the same name in that location. I'm pretty sure you'll have to PURGE the pre-existing object before the 50g will allow that. There's other causes, too. Try googling the comp.sys.hp48 group for "object in use" and you'll find quite a few references. You'll also find a wealth of information there pertaining to ARCHIVE, RESTORE, issues pertaining to key assignments, alarms, etc.

Another set of commands you may want to investigate is PUSH and POP. Those might be useful for what you are doing.

PUSH and POP might work for the flag changes in my program but not so much for storing flags, for that i'm RCLF then storing it in a directory just before archiving. next I need to store some STARTUP program to restore the flags and the stack after the RESTORE boots the calculator?

(06-17-2014 11:49 PM)MNH Wrote:  See pages 2-8 and 2-9 in the hp48gaur, available
at http://www.hpcalc.org/, to preserve flag status.

I kind of have it figured out, just need to try some code and add some error traps.
Thanks for all your hints and tips.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)