Next Generation Calculator
12-12-2020, 09:00 PM
RE: Next Generation Calculator
(12-12-2020 08:22 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 08:07 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Google translates as:

And four times the testicles, were struck by lightning three times she tried to flight all the evils of.

I assume something is missing there... at least I hope so... Smile

more or less:
The testicles touched three and four times chase away all evil

I'm sorry

But your version is funnier!

Indeed!! Smile Unless of course if you are the one whose testicles are being struck by lightening...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2020, 08:26 AM
(12-12-2020 02:45 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  This is all purely hypothetical because, to the best of my knowledge, there are no plans to make a clone of any of the 48/49/50 series.
Uhm.....what about a device able to natively run NewRPL (eventually patched to use a keyboard different that the 50g's)?
Should it be considered a clone of 48/49/50 series?
12-14-2020, 09:47 AM
(12-14-2020 08:26 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 02:45 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  This is all purely hypothetical because, to the best of my knowledge, there are no plans to make a clone of any of the 48/49/50 series.
Uhm.....what about a device able to natively run NewRPL (eventually patched to use a keyboard different that the 50g's)?
Should it be considered a clone of 48/49/50 series?

You should wait for NewRPL to become stable before releasing a product, though.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2021, 01:27 PM
Two advantages and one more possible advantage that hardware calculators have over apps:

1. No need to rely on available internet or Wifi. Useful for space flights, air flights, and certification tests which don't allow cell phones.

2. Dedicated purpose

3. (Possible) If you are a fan of solar-powered technology: options are available. Still holding hope for an RPN solar-powered calculator, even if it isn't on the level of the 35S or 50g.
06-17-2021, 03:24 AM
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote:  Hello!

(10 seconds reading text)

What will be the Next Generation Calculator, from HP?

HP Prime II?
HP51G?
HP50 Prime? (an hybrid)

I think that a next generation calculator should keep the HP48 series features
and keep the HP Prime hardware, an hybrid.

"One can start by remodeling the landscape with just one flower, Captain Picard)"
(Spock to Picard, episode TNG - T05E08, Unification II )

=============================================================
UPDATE of 28/nov/2020

It seems that things are not good for HP calculators...
See posts below. Sorry.

It's "Game Over"!!

Namir
06-17-2021, 07:47 PM
Is it possible that the missed marketing opportunity of an HP-12C 40th Anniversary Edition indicates HP no longer has a focus in this product category?

Or maybe celebrating technology that's 40 years old is not the best way to showcase how relevant you are in today's market?

If I look at new products like the NumWorks graphing calculator, it's clear that there's a shift in the target audience for calculators, and HP also appears to be putting their efforts into this classroom ecosystem.

There's no motivation for HP to do anything new; we'll keep getting entry-level white label junk, the HP-12C will soldier on through more EOL HW revisions, and Prime will continue to evolve to support the blended-learning trend.

For the rest of us pre-moonwalk, pre-internet, pre-cellphone users, we'll have to stay content with the fact that our keys will always be physical and we like things that work independently, even if (like us), it means they probably belonging in a museum :-)
06-17-2021, 08:55 PM
It has to have social media integration, a color touch screen, 24 hour battery life max, NO physical buttons, and subscription add-on services. Also it's essentially that the battery be glued in so you have to throw the device away after a couple years. We're halfway there with Prime.
06-17-2021, 09:15 PM
(06-17-2021 08:55 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  It has to have social media integration, a color touch screen, 24 hour battery life max, NO physical buttons, and subscription add-on services. Also it's essentially that the battery be glued in so you have to throw the device away after a couple years. We're halfway there with Prime.
You missed three essentials: passwords for everything (but they cannot be the same), in-app purchases and approval to share your keystroke behavior :-)
06-17-2021, 10:25 PM
(06-17-2021 09:15 PM)Max Stone Wrote:  
(06-17-2021 08:55 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  It has to have social media integration, a color touch screen, 24 hour battery life max, NO physical buttons, and subscription add-on services. Also it's essentially that the battery be glued in so you have to throw the device away after a couple years. We're halfway there with Prime.
You missed three essentials: passwords for everything (but they cannot be the same), in-app purchases and approval to share your keystroke behavior :-)

And of course, Face ID!

In all seriousness all I want from HP is a 51G with the keyboard layout of the 48 and a nice screen like the DM42.
06-17-2021, 10:39 PM
Hi. I noticed that this thread got revived and thought I'd add something.

Eddie W. Shore Wrote:1. No need to rely on available internet or Wifi. Useful for space flights, air flights, and certification tests which don't allow cell phones.
This. Until Skynet (or TI? Smile) has taken over all technology and the entire education system, the school environment will always demand dedicated math machines. As commonplace as phones are, I'm sure they're not omnipresent in every school, for any number of reasons, and the distraction potential means that they're suboptimal for an education device.

Max Stone Wrote:There's no motivation for HP to do anything new; we'll keep getting entry-level white label junk, the HP-12C will soldier on through more EOL HW revisions, and Prime will continue to evolve to support the blended-learning trend.
Paleontologists in three million years will find a 12C buried in a riverbed and call it "Lucy 2".

On a serious note, I've been thinking about something for a while: who besides us HP fanatics actually wants HP calcs? Who is it? Surely there's a market, because the calculator team still works for HP (they do, don't they?), but where is it?

For example, imagine you're just a "normal person", i.e., non-fanatic, who doesn't really know much about any calculator brand. You start with HP and Casio because you've heard good things about both brands. It takes 3 clicks to get to the calculator page on HP's site, and once there, all you're presented with are a couple of Casio knock-offs and $60 financial calculators (and neither the 35s nor the Prime, for some reason). For Casio, you need one click to get a calculator submenu, where you can choose whether you want a graphing, scientific, basic, or printing machine, and it's immediately clear that calculators are an important part of Casio's overall product line. You can then find something, just as good as HP's offerings, for less money. I sure wouldn't be interested in HP's selection with that kind of competition.

I can, and do, hope that HP will make future models. I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but like others have said, it's important to look at this for what it really is.

One more thing: to me, I've always thought that the name "Prime" almost suggests something final. It's like it's trying to be the last product, the last hurrah of something that was once much more.
06-18-2021, 05:28 AM
(06-17-2021 10:25 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  ...
In all seriousness all I want from HP is a 51G with the keyboard layout of the 48 and a nice screen like the DM42.

If it had a "good" keyboard I would gladly pay $300 for that calculator. Unfortunately I fear the market for that is very limited.
06-18-2021, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 05:40 AM by RMollov.)
(06-17-2021 10:25 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  ...
Sounds too good to happen, unfortunatelly...
HP48 quality keyboard is a MUST, of coarse.
06-18-2021, 07:22 AM
(06-17-2021 09:15 PM)Max Stone Wrote:  

Also, a yearly subscription to use the calculator. :-)

— Ian Abbott
06-23-2021, 03:24 PM
A new generation of calculators for me has been around for a long time. Android is directly for work and business. Real calculators with a high-quality keyboard are for relaxing and for learning something new. I doubt that the manufacturers will be guided by the requests of fanatics. They mostly carry out large orders for state corporations from education.
[Image: 34923463_m.jpg]
[Image: 34923509_m.jpg]
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1624460487/e5954...923463.jpg
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1624460618/cebb5...923509.jpg
09-19-2021, 07:09 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased a used HP-41CV to replace the new one I had years ago, and I have been getting caught up on the current state of calculators. I have read Kinpo manufactured my HP-35s and will most likely design any future HP calculators.

Looking at Kinpo's website is this the next HP scientific calculator in this picture? I don't see an enter key, so no RPN?

[Image: rx9jh4BQTmQktfPY4ydgzdVS3n9dVFFbVq2Ao3WL.png]

Or maybe it's just a mock up, but the picture of the TI calc on that page it correct. I didn't realize Kinpo made calculators for TI as well.

Here is a bigger picture of it along with a TI calc, but I'll just link it:
https://kinpoweb.blob.core.windows.net/c...e76f75.jpg

Source:
https://www.kinpo.com.tw/en-US/products/...lectronics

DM32, DM41X, DM42, HP-35S, HP-32SII, HP-42S, HP-41CV, HP 95LX - EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.
09-19-2021, 08:15 PM
That's the most recent HP BUSINESS calculator, not scientific per se. Model number is the HP-10bII+.

You can tell by the TVM keys on the top row.

It does not a number of scientific and statistical functions built in, but it is business-oriented. No RPN, that is correct.
09-19-2021, 08:17 PM
OK great, thank you for clarifying that.

DM32, DM41X, DM42, HP-35S, HP-32SII, HP-42S, HP-41CV, HP 95LX - EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.
09-19-2021, 10:07 PM
No worries!
09-20-2021, 04:06 PM
Regarding future HP calculators by Kinpo, I think for the second generation of the HP Prime calculator (i.e. the HP Prime G2), HP "took back control" of the hardware design from Kinpo.

— Ian Abbott
11-08-2021, 07:23 AM
I said in the early 2000's, at comp.sys.hp48 newsgroup, if my memory call correct, that the future of calculators was to be part of a multiuse device.

And I keep this idea.

Carlos - Brazil
Time Zone: GMT -3
http://area48.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)