Question on HP code names (for experts)
05-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Question on HP code names (for experts)
Hi, I've a question for collectors, experts and HP memories: in a technical document on the Filbert protocol used by the HP9114, two project code names are mentionned:

Quote:The extended Filbert command set will also be supported on both Pompeii and Buzzard.

I believe Pompeii is the code name for the HP9114, but what is the Buzzard projet? Obviously it is related to a HP-IL mass memory, but it's not the older HP82161 (this is Filbert), not the HP9114 (Pompeii), so what was it?

I didn't find any information on this site, nor on the Rick Furr' site, nor in the Wlodek's Guide to HP Handhelds.

I would be interested to know if there was an other, unreleased HP-IL mass memory HP project.

J-F

Reference : Filbert command set
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 07:39 AM
RE: Question on HP code names (for experts)
Well, it seems it was really a difficult question!

I don't have a definitive answer, but here is what I can say:
I confirm that Pompeii was the codename for the HP9114 drive,
as a side information, Vesuvius was the codename for the HP2225B ThinkJet printer.

I didn't get any information on the Buzzard codename.
My hypothesis is that Buzzard was ... the Portable Plus.
This could make sense, since the Portable Plus supports both Subset/80 and Filbert protocols (as I recently recognized it).
Of course, this is just an hypothesis, the codename for the Portable Plus is unknown.
For your reference, the codename for the Portable (not Plus) was Nomad.

I would be glad if someone knows more, or can confirm/invalidate my hythothesis.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Didn't Jim Horn work on the Portable PLUS project?
Find all posts by this user
06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
No, I didn't work on *any* of HP's calculators or peripherals. I did get to be an alpha tester for the HP-75 due to its incorporation of the then-new HP-IL. From 1979 until 1989 I was an HP employee. Initially in Santa Rosa, California's Redwood project to create what became the HP50000 modular measurement system (MMS), we moved to Rohnert Park with expectation of HP's employment in the area to hit 12,000. It peaked at about 4000 and dropped below half that (all as Agilent/Avago/Verity/Keysight/etc, of course). My role there was in defining the human interface for the MMS then writing the code and development tools for use in HP's instrument divisions to create modular instruments that would be compatible with the rest of the MMS.

We were considering having HP-IL as an option on the MMS so were in the planning and communication as the HP-IL was defined. Since the HP-75 was the first HP-IL controller, we were given one with an external box full of circuitry including EPROMs so it could work at all. The minorly tricky part was that I drove up to Corvallis to get it the same weekend of HHC 1981. So the whole time the ever-enthusiastic HHC attendees were abuzz about potential new machines, I had to make sure never to open the trunk of my VW Scirocco lest anyone see what was there. Once the '75 did go on sale, I got one and used it for years of note taking until the '110 replaced it.

My HP110 portable was the result of an employee surplus equipment auction in which the sales force's Portables were sold for $250 each. Sam Chau, another enthusiastic HP user and employee, and I got one each, leading to the modifications I've mentioned elsewhere.

No, I don't know what the code name for the Portable Plus was, I'm sad to say. I will check to see what '110 documentation is readily available and email the new owner of my old files to see if he'd be interested in scanning any missing ones.

Other than my negligable contributions above, I've written a bit of HP-25 and '67 software in the old HP-65 Users Club and PPC days, handed down the '25 to my younger brother who has since done massively more than me with HP calculators, and generally cheered on the many who really do contribute. To them go the honors - including those who continue to do so today!
06-08-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 07:48 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Thanks, Jim. That's an awesome bio! You and your family members have made real contributions to the HP communities.

[Edit: Text move to another thread.]
Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)