Classic HP Calculator Repair Experiences
09-27-2020, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 05:12 PM by Kostas Kritsilas.)
Classic HP Calculator Repair Experiences
Hi,

This is my first post, so if I am being rude, please feel free to let me know.

I would like to have a couple of Classic HP calculators repaired. In my particular case, it is a/an HP-65, and possibly a HP-80. I'm not sure what is wrong with the HP-80, but the HP-65 won't read the magnetic cards. It pulls them through properly, but doesn't seem to read them (no doubt it doesn't write them either, but I can't really tell).

I have done some googling, and have found Vintage Calculator Repair, out of Eugene, OR, that seems to look like a really good location, but have read some postings that there have been issues with the amount of time that repairs are taking, and with the health of the owner. Does anybody know if this is still the case?

If he is indeed back to doing repairs, can any say whether they are satisfied with the repairs made (or not)? Has anybody used any other repair service that provides good service?

Kostas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2020, 12:54 PM
RE: Classic HP Calculator Repair Experiences
I haven't used Vintage Calculator Repair, but I did have an HP-67 serviced by eBay seller jones.sebago.lake (real name: Adam Jones), and that calculator is working perfectly now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-65-HP-67-Mag...2806126590
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2020, 01:29 PM
If your HP 67 will pull cards it almost certainly has had the gummy wheel replaced.

Look at the back label and see if it has ever been removed.

The problem may be the capacitors. There can also be other problems.

The ebay ad mentioned only does wheel and coupler.

There are other sellers that mention repairs.
09-28-2020, 02:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 02:57 AM by teenix.)
(09-27-2020 08:05 AM)Kostas Kritsilas Wrote:  Hi,

I would like to have a couple of Classic HP calculators repaired. In my particular case, it is a/an HP-65, and possibly a HP-80. I'm not sure what is wrong with the HP-80, but the HP-65 won't read the magnetic cards. It pulls them through properly, but doesn't seem to read them (no doubt it doesn't write them either, but I can't really tell).

Kostas

The 65 may only need head clean if the cards are going through ok, and the rest of the calculator works. Some of the presaturated cards for cleaning card swipe machines might work if cut to the required width. Otherwise, disassembly may be required and the head can be cleaned with a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol.

Do you have any more info on why the HP-80 is not working?

cheers

Tony
09-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Just my opinion but...

If you intend to use it, repair it yourself, unless of course you have absolutely zero electronics ambition. There is documentation on the web and plenty of support here on the forum to get that done. Yes, the first time can be challenging but I guarantee you the experience will be enjoyable and interesting.

If your goal is to sell the units, do that as-is. Repair is by no means a sure thing and you’re not likely to get the additional investment back in the sale price, especially so for the HP80. One last bit of advise is don’t be fooled by eBay buy it now prices, they don’t reflect market value in any way.
09-28-2020, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 05:13 PM by Kostas Kritsilas.)
(09-28-2020 03:35 AM)GreyUser Wrote:  Just my opinion but...

If you intend to use it, repair it yourself, unless of course you have absolutely zero electronics ambition. There is documentation on the web and plenty of support here on the forum to get that done. Yes, the first time can be challenging but I guarantee you the experience will be enjoyable and interesting.

If your goal is to sell the units, do that as-is. Repair is by no means a sure thing and you’re not likely to get the additional investment back in the sale price, especially so for the HP80. One last bit of advise is don’t be fooled by eBay buy it now prices, they don’t reflect market value in any way.

I used to be an electronics technologist at one point. The issue now is not ambition or ability, but vision. My eyesight is such that I have severe astigmatism, and even with semi-rigid gas permeable contact lenses, cannot be completely corrected. So I would like to have somebody who can see properly, and preferably with some experience, repair my HP-65.

The HP-80 is on its way to me now. I was told it is non-functional, but I don't know if it is a motherboard issue, or a battery pack issue.

I intend to keep both calculators, they will go along side my HP-35, 45, 55 (non-fuctional), HP-67, 2 HP-41CXs, 2 HP-97s, HP-48GX, and HP-35S, as well as my 2 TI-59s (one stuck to a PC-100B Printer because I don't have the key), 2 Ti-58Cs, Ti-58, TI-60, and TI-66. There is no intent at this point to sell any of them.
09-28-2020, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 12:18 PM by teenix.)
(09-28-2020 06:26 AM)Kostas Kritsilas Wrote:  I used to be an electronics technologist at one point. The issue now is not ambition or ability, but vision. My eyesight is such that I have severe astigmatism, and even with semi-rigid gas permeable contact lenses, cannot be completely corrected. So I would like to have somebody who can see properly, and preferably with some experience, repair my HP-65.

The HP-80 is on its way to me now. I was told it is non-fuctional, but I don't know if it is a motherboard issue, or a battery pack issue.

I intend to keep both calculators, they will go along side my HP-35, 45, 55 (non-fuctional), HP-67, 2 HP-41CXs, 2 HP-97s, HP-48GX, and HP-35S, as well as my 2 TI-59s (one stuck to a PC-100B Printer because I don't have the key), 2 Ti-58Cs, Ti-58, TI-60, and TI-66. There is no intent at this point to sell any of them.

On most occasions it is probably dirty contacts of various sorts, corrosion on circuit board traces, broken wiring, or the gummy wheel problem. These can be fixed relatively easily. If it is a specialized component like the hybrid chip, ROM/RAM, display drivers, card reader components or LED displays these parts have to be available to the repairer as spares.

I've mended a few classics, and I would be happy to have a look at them for free, (at least to determine if it is a major problem) but down here in "Oz" most likely makes that problematical.

To get one of your Classics going, you might want to check out Harald's multi-calc, which is a drop in replacement CPU board and will give you 27 HP models to have fun with. It will work as long as the keyboard and display circuits still work.

I also have HP-55 and HP-65 drop in CPU replacement boards using a modern processor, but again, the keyboard, display circuity (and card reader) must still be functional, although there is internal storage available for programs.

Alberto here on the Forum is quite talented and has repaired/restored many HP-65's to a really good standard and might be able to offer some help.

cheers

Tony
09-28-2020, 01:17 PM
(09-28-2020 12:16 PM)teenix Wrote:  ...

I also have HP-55 and HP-65 drop in CPU replacement boards using a modern processor, but again, the keyboard, display circuity (and card reader) must still be functional, although there is internal storage available for programs.

Tony

Do you have also a 97er repair kit (Mainboard) in the near time?

Hans-Peter
09-28-2020, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 05:36 PM by Kostas Kritsilas.)
(09-28-2020 02:54 AM)teenix Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 08:05 AM)Kostas Kritsilas Wrote:  Hi,

Kostas

The 65 may only need head clean if the cards are going through ok, and the rest of the calculator works. Some of the presaturated cards for cleaning card swipe machines might work if cut to the required width. Otherwise, disassembly may be required and the head can be cleaned with a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol.

Do you have any more info on why the HP-80 is not working?

cheers

Tony

Sorry for not replying earlier.

The HP-80 is in transit from Greece at this time. As you probably can tell from my name, I am of Greek origin, and have extended family still there. They found the HP-80 at what would best be described as a flea market. It had no charger, so it can’t be powered up, and I asked that the (very) corroded battery pack be removed and discarded. The calculator appears to be in good (not museum grade) condition, with some average wear. I can’t say with any certainty whether it is functional or not. I do have one of Mark Hoskins’ battery packs that can use disposable AAA batteries on the way to allow me to power up the calculator when it gets here.

This is all I know at this point (aside from the two feet at the rear bottom are missing, which concerns me greatly). I am hoping that it will simply power up and work, but it may not. I just have to wait 4-6 weeks for it to get here.
09-28-2020, 10:00 PM
(09-28-2020 01:17 PM)Hans-Peter Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 12:16 PM)teenix Wrote:  ...

Tony

Do you have also a 97er repair kit (Mainboard) in the near time?

Hans-Peter

I have been working on one but the virus lock-down has stifled development. The circuit board is designed and a lot of software has been written so hoping to continue soon.

cheers

Tony
09-28-2020, 10:33 PM
I am able to repair all classics and Woodstocks. If you’d like to discuss email me. With my parts inventory I can repair anything you send me for a fair price. James
09-29-2020, 02:04 AM
James,

I have sent you a direct email.

Kostas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)