Faulty Register RS5 in HP-97
09-22-2020, 02:30 PM
Faulty Register RS5 in HP-97
Dear All,

I just executed the "Diagnostic Program" from the standard pac on my HP-97 and it showed error code 15, meaning that RS5 is defect. I further investigated and found out, that storing a value in Reg 5, f P<->S, f P<->S, RCL 5 shows either 0 or sometimes -0,66 but never 5 which was stored in the first place.

Does this mean that explicitely RS5 is defect or is another reason possible? Have any of you ever had a similar case and could it be repaired?

Any hint will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Karl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2020, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2020 08:54 AM by teenix.)
RE: Faulty Register RS5 in HP-97
It would appear that the part of the RAM chip (Probably in ROM 6) that stores/recalls RS5 is faulty.

You could also verify this by

Code:

15 [h] [ST I]
5 [STO] [i]
[RCL] [i]

The display should show 5.

cheers

Tony
09-23-2020, 09:43 AM
RE: Faulty Register RS5 in HP-97
Hello Tony,

thank you very much for your reply. I entered the code sequence you described and got 5 as result just as you described.

I then repeated my original Test 5 STO 5, f P<->S, f P<->S, RCL 5 and received the correct result 5, too. It seems that the malfunction disappeared.

The I retested the diagnostic program from the standard pack again which passed without errors, too.

Everything works fine again. I don't know how and why but I'm not complaining ;-)

Thanks again.

Best regards

Karl

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)