HP 41CX Auction - Rare Variant?
09-17-2020, 12:32 PM
HP 41CX Auction - Rare Variant?
The unit pictured in this auction

https://www.ebay.at/itm/HP-41CX-in-sehr-...SwYb5fYfN9

has the printed text on the rear of the machine the wrong way round - were such machines produced?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2020, 04:29 PM
RE: HP 41CX Auction - Rare Variant?
(09-17-2020 12:32 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  The unit pictured in this auction

has the printed text on the rear of the machine the wrong way round - were such machines produced?

And no serial number.
An early fullnut CX prototype?

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2020, 04:53 PM
From memory, HP had machines on stock in their repair centers. The devices on stock for repairs were without Serials, they got heat-staked (is that the correct expression) when replacements went out from "Bench" (that's the term they used for their repair-centers).

Maybe the origin is "Bench" - New units for replacement

(09-17-2020 12:32 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  The unit pictured in this auction

09-18-2020, 02:41 AM
When I inquired about a similar machine recently, Sylvain noted that BlankNuts (BN) came with these stickers in the box, but not-yet-applied, so the owner could decide to install it or not, based on the application.

The unit in the auction is obviously not a BN (at least the front isn't) so possibilities are:

a) The back of this machine came from BN and it's a frankencalc

b) The sticker from a BN was installed onto this machine, upside-down, for some reason

c) Mistake during manufacture, but that seems least likely of the 3.

As in most situations like this, we'll never know...

--Bob Prosperi
09-19-2020, 05:05 AM
I just bought a strange one, too. It was advertised as a non-working 41C from the original owner.
The front half is a very nice tall keys 41C but the back has a 41CX Sticker on it with a very late serial number. and even stranger is that the 41CX Back half has the brass contacts in the charging port.
Maybe it got sent in for repair at some point and got a new back?

I have turned it into a true working Frankencalc by installing a 41CV Motherboard left over from a CL conversion and a new Calculator Store zebra strip.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2020, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 03:21 AM by GreyUser.)
Nah, my guess would be a non-HP repair. The back was replaced and the sticker installed backwards. IMO, nothing special.

I have a box of 41 parts purchased from HP back in the eighties, the case backs are exactly what you see there as they have no serial numbers. Brand new in the bag keyboards, case backs, stickers, lcd’s, everything required to build a frankencalc. Building your own from parts or self repairs was done back in the day when parts were available from HP. I’ve haven't decided if I want to turn some of the bits into a as new 41CL with no serial number.

Heck, some of us even scored the close out of 42S service spares, IIRC I paid $93 each plus shipping. Still have one left, untouched. I’m sure I can still get my money back on that purchase. Decisions, decisions...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)