hp advance link
09-10-2020, 03:56 AM
hp advance link
hi,

i'm trying to get an old msdos laptop with a USB thumbdrive to run HP advance link, rs232 HP terminal software to run. it doesn't come with a floppy disk. so i'm using dosbox under windows 7 to install.

i managed to find the files:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=50

but i cant get it to configure properly. it fails at the very last portion, updating of config.sys. the install program keeps saying that drive c is not a valid dos drive. i have tried copying all the hidden *.sys and command.com to the drive already.

does anyone have a pre-configured advlink that i can just copy and run?
what is the content of config.sys?

thx
kenneth
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2020, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 08:19 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: hp advance link
Code:
CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=GDCA.COM
FILES=20

So in addition to creating the ADVLINK subdirectory, it also copies GDCA.COM to the root of C:

Here's a zip of the installed files.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MOibPkX...sp=sharing

Dave
09-11-2020, 04:31 AM
Thx very much Dave.

I unzipped the files to my USB stick, created the config.sys and copied GDCA.com to root but it still hangs as before.

Cursor is blinking top right, at the bottom centre of screen, it shows "1 1"

I'm trying to use it on an old thinkpad x32 on a 16GB usb thumbdrive.
IDD hard drive is spoilt.

I used Rufus to create a bootable MSDOS usb thumbdrive.

I'll continue trying the various monitor types to see if there's something that would work.

thanks again
09-11-2020, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020 04:32 AM by Leewm.)
Thx very much Dave.

I unzipped the files to my USB stick, created the config.sys and copied GDCA.com to root but it still hangs as before.

Cursor is blinking top right, at the bottom centre of screen, it shows "1 1"

I'm trying to use it on an old thinkpad x32 on a 16GB usb thumbdrive.
IDD hard drive is spoilt.

I used Rufus to create a bootable MSDOS usb thumbdrive.

I'll continue trying the various monitor types to see if there's something that would work.

thanks again

PS: the funny thing is that it works under windows 7, DosBox, but not on the X32 hardware
09-12-2020, 02:10 AM
i just discovered that an earlier version of the Advancelink program A.00.03 could run perfectly.

I downloaded it from here:
https://winworldpc.com/download/c2b2c38b...a6e280947e
09-12-2020, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020 08:23 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
I guess you are using AdvanceLink with a serial interface?

Some months ago I tried to set it up with Ethernet and tried quite a few network cards in my MS-DOS system.
I was never able to configure it for Ethernet - serial connections worked fine.

Do I need a specific Ethernet card and/or special drivers?

Martin
09-12-2020, 12:16 PM
yes, i am using it with a serial interface.

to make msdos hp term work with ethernet, the configuration was quite complex. drivers needed to be loaded in config.sys, tsr programs to be loaded, ini files to be configured. interrupt number needed to be selected. only telnet and hp3000 protocol was supported, no ssh.

i think the software was called “lan manager”.

these days, no software make use of the features of hp term. the block mode is the best communication protocol to work over low bandwidth.
09-12-2020, 12:42 PM
it just occurred to me, to network your old msdos based hp term computer, it would be simpler to connect it to a raspberry pi equipped with a usb db9 serial port.

raspbian o/s is modern and supports both wired and wireless ethernet. it has telnet, ssh capability.

your probably of success would be much higher than trying to find drivers for old lan cards.
09-12-2020, 09:54 PM
My question was aiming at connecting a MS-DOS PC with HP-Terminal software to a HP 1000, via Ethernet.
I can via serial, but Ethernet would also be nice and hopefully a bit faster.
I tried some NE 1000/2000 cards in my ISA system, but so far I have not been able to make them visible to HP-Terminal emulation (despite loading drivers and TSRs). But this is a low priority, "nice to have" goal.
09-13-2020, 12:15 AM
U still have access to an HP 1000?
Amazing :-) !!
09-15-2020, 10:53 AM
... of course ;-)

More or less by accident I received two HP 1000 A-Series machines last year in perfect condition with manuals and all.

Besides hardware terminals I am also exploring HP-terminal software, currently via serial interface. But AdvanceLink via Ethernet would also be nice and faster than 9600 baud RS232C.

Alas, I need to need more time than 24 hrs a day to do more with these systems.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)