Bold superscript?
09-06-2020, 07:32 PM
Bold superscript?
In my post here I have what is intended as a bold superscript using the "b" and "sup" bbcode markup. I've tried encapsulating the "sup" in a "b" and the other way around, but to me, it looks like the superscript isn't bold in either case, although it looks bold in the test forum. Is is just my eyes combined with my laptop's screen or is the superscript not bold?

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2020, 06:29 AM
RE: Bold superscript?
(09-06-2020 07:32 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  In my post here I have what is intended as a bold superscript using the "b" and "sup" bbcode markup. I've tried encapsulating the "sup" in a "b" and the other way around, but to me, it looks like the superscript isn't bold in either case, although it looks bold in the test forum. Is is just my eyes combined with my laptop's screen or is the superscript not bold?

I agree, it doesn't look like it's in bold, only superscript.

As for why.... Could the asterisk be something related to the markup language used on the forum?

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
09-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Not only is it not bold, it is tiny! But in the post preview, it looks fine.
This would appear to be a bug in MyBB...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2020, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2020 04:18 PM by smp.)
If you mean this phrase in your post: :: d e f ; ;" is the same as ":: a b c d e f ;" **

I definitely see the double asterisk superscript as bold when I read the post. No doubt about it.
MacBook Pro laptop, latest Mac OS 10.15.6, latest Safari browser.

smp
09-07-2020, 12:49 PM
It looks OK in Firefox on my Mac, but not in Safari and Chrome on my iPhone.
The HTML generated by MyBB is <span style="font-weight: bold;"><sup>**</sup></span>, which is fine, so it seems like the bad rendering on the iPhone is because of a problem with the CSS. Which could be a problem with the actual CSS code itself, or with the way the iOS browsers render it... I've noticed weirdness with unexpectedly small text there before, on other sites.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2020, 08:12 PM
In both the latest version of Firefox and Chrome on my Windows 10 laptop, the "**" superscript is definitely *not* bold, even though it should be as per the page source html :

Code:
<span style="font-weight: bold;"><sup>**</sup></span>

OTOH, on the latest version of Firefox on my Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon machine, the superscript definitely *is* bold.

Is there a problem with Windows' font handling on my laptop?

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
09-08-2020, 09:21 AM
I can tell the difference between the bold versus non-bold, superscript asterisks when zooming in (making the fonts bigger). I guess it's a font rendering / font hinting problem.

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)