Access to Geometry variables erratic
06-04-2014, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 11:07 PM by Cristóbal De Jesús.)
Access to Geometry variables erratic
I built a simple geometry construct with a few starting points, segments, circles and intersecting points, plus a simple calculation for the golden ratio. Although the environment seems fine while interacting, access to the app variables from the Vars menu seems broken. I'm getting place holders for the existing data, but without the proper labels, getting random words instead. I do get the variables upon selecting a pace holder, but I do not know what I'm selecting in advance. I build the same exercise in the emulator and thing were ok there.

I already erased the app (I had copied the Geometry app) a few times and restarted, did the exercise on the built-in Geometry app, same behavior.

Can anybody test this in your machine?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 11:12 PM by Mark Hardman.)
RE: Access to Geometry variables erratic
(06-04-2014 10:55 PM)Cristóbal De Jesús Wrote:  Although the environment seems fine while interacting, access to the app variables from the Vars menu seems broken.

Isn't it more advantageous to access the app variables through the Symb view rather than Vars menu?

FWIW, I do see the same difference in behavior between the actual Prime and the emulator.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-04-2014, 11:14 PM
(06-04-2014 11:07 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 10:55 PM)Cristóbal De Jesús Wrote:  Although the environment seems fine while interacting, access to the app variables from the Vars menu seems broken.

Isn't it more advantageous to access the app variables through the Symb view rather than Vars menu?

Definitely. However, it's still an issue that breaks the access logic of the Vars menu. If reproducible, it may signal a worst problem down the line. I hope I'm wrong though.
06-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Hello,

Do you mean tha tyou created the app, and then, from home or CAS tried to access GA or something like that? and it did not work?

Question, did you try accessing the variables from Home or CAS?
1) Geometry variables are inherently CAS objects, not home objects and can not always be 'transfromed' into home objects...
2) I assume that you understand that geometry variables contains the result of the EXECUTION of the instruction associated with the variable, not the instruction itself.

If you could provide more detailed info, I could look at it.

Cyrille
06-05-2014, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 01:52 PM by Cristóbal De Jesús.)
(06-05-2014 04:28 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

Do you mean tha tyou created the app, and then, from home or CAS tried to access GA or something like that? and it did not work?

Question, did you try accessing the variables from Home or CAS?
1) Geometry variables are inherently CAS objects, not home objects and can not always be 'transfromed' into home objects...
2) I assume that you understand that geometry variables contains the result of the EXECUTION of the instruction associated with the variable, not the instruction itself.

If you could provide more detailed info, I could look at it.

Cyrille

I understand what you say. But, what I think is wrong with the Vars menu access is the actual text in the menu labels. Sometimes it shows variable names, other times shows incomplete command names, but mostly, it shows a place holder in the menu with no label, but it does return variables upon selection. As soon as I get home I'll post some pics to illustrate the issue.

I wonder if it is only my calculator acting up, or this is reproducible in other units.
06-05-2014, 08:14 PM
(06-05-2014 04:28 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  If you could provide more detailed info, I could look at it.

Cyrille

I created a simple octagon on both the Prime and the emulator:

GA=point(5,9)
GB=point(3,7)
GC=isopolygon(GA,GB,8)

This creates a lovely Plot:

On the emulator, if you select Vars, App, Geometry, All, you get a reasonable list of variables:

However, if you use the same example on the physical hardware, the same Vars, App, Geometry, All, will give you a crazy list of variable names:

Even stranger, every time you call Vars, App, Geometry, All, you get a different set of names.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks Mark for the pictures: That's all to it. I also get unlabeled menu items, randomly. Variables do get fetched though.
06-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Hello,

(06-05-2014 08:14 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  On the emulator, if you select Vars, App, Geometry, All, you get a reasonable list of variables:

However, if you use the same example on the physical hardware, the same Vars, App, Geometry, All, will give you a crazy list of variable names:

Even stranger, every time you call Vars, App, Geometry, All, you get a different set of names.

Ha Ha!!!!
Thanks for that info! I will follow up!

Cyrille

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)