Poll: Ever answered a dumb question with a dumb answer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 66.67% 6 66.67%
Sometimes 33.33% 3 33.33%
No 0% 0 0%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

dumb question...
06-03-2014, 11:48 PM
dumb question...
so i have a dumb question...

Quote:No such thing as a stupid question
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carl Sagan, in his work The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark said: "There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question".

A woman, recounting a story about an old man who used to answer all her "stupid questions", explained "Chica, if you ask a question it makes you look stupid for 5 minutes - but if you don't ask - you stay stupid for fifty years, so always ask questions in your life".

The article Ink Out Loud: There's no such thing as a stupid question,' and other ailments lavender cures defines stupid questions as:

Those questions that have already been answered, but the asker wasn't listening or paying attention.
Questions that can be answered with a scant amount of research and less than a minute of time.
Questions of which the answer should be painfully obvious to any person with a pulse who has lived on this earth for more than a decade.
"Ray Lewis? Yeah, Ray, how long have you been surrounded by thugs?", "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?", and "Can you name the Backstreet Boys?" were cited as stupid questions asked by the media pool at the 2000 Super Bowl.

A 1970 Dear Abby column in The Milwaukee Sentinel said: "There is no such thing as a stupid question if it's sincere. Better to ask and risk appearing stupid than to continue on your ignorant way and make a stupid mistake.

Breaking into the Game Industry argues that the adage (and the related one "the stupid only stupid question is the one that is never asked") is only relevant for the classroom, and that in the real world when you want to try to impress someone, there are many stupid questions one can ask.

Colin Powell says: "there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers". Presentation Skills That Will Take You to the Top says that within the business world, the adage holds true. The book adds "a question might be uninformed, tangential, or seemingly irrelevant, but, whether the presenter perceives it to be stupid or not, every audience member has every right to ask any sort of question".

School House Diary: Reflections of a Retired Educator notes that teachers are fond of saying this phrase, and suggests that while they themselves want to call out the stupid questions, they fall back on the adage in order to prevent the child from being ridiculed.

In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions -- When It Counts suggests that there are no stupid questions, rather there are tangential questions, and that these should be dealt with swiftly and effectively.

Designing Field Studies for Biodiversity Conservation says "there's no such thing as a stupid question, as long as it ends in a question mark".

School children may feel an urge to challenge this rhetoric by asking a question that will be deemed too stupid by their teacher and/or classmates.

So my question is this: is it the number of characters or the number of posts that may some day make me a (non junior) member?

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 01:03 AM by htom trites.)
RE: dumb question...
If I know it, correct answer; if I don't and I can think of one, funny smart a55 answer.

I was unaware that there were "Junior Members".

Edit: and I am one!
06-04-2014, 01:16 AM
(06-04-2014 01:02 AM)htom trites Wrote:  If I know it, correct answer; if I don't and I can think of one, funny smart a55 answer.

I was unaware that there were "Junior Members".

Edit: and I am one!

ya me too, but Junior is Belittling isn't it? I'd rather be called a NEWBIE member

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-04-2014, 03:10 AM
50 posts and you magically cease to be junior. I would not worry about the status however; folks here are more interested in the nature and tone of posts than the quantity. That said, it's interesting to me how much interest there is in this status thing. Must be because it's something we can calculate...

--Bob Prosperi
06-04-2014, 06:02 AM
(06-04-2014 03:10 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ... it's interesting to me how much interest there is in this status thing. Must be because it's something we can calculate...

Doubt it. I think it's because it turns seniors to juniors. Something like a magic fountain of youth Wink

d:-)
06-04-2014, 11:00 AM
(06-04-2014 03:10 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  50 posts and you magically cease to be junior.& it's interesting to me how much interest there is in this status thing. Must be because it's something we can calculate...

or it may be my ego, i'm 55 and no one ever calls me sir Sad
...coming to my next post/poll, do one word messages count as messages toward un-becoming a junior member? ((Smile))

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Yes Smile

--Bob Prosperi
06-04-2014, 04:43 PM
(06-04-2014 01:16 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  ya me too, but Junior is Belittling isn't it? I'd rather be called a NEWBIE member

Everyone starts as a Newbie. After a post or two you get upgraded to Junior.

I can't remember if these titles were defaults or I copied them from some other forum but I do remember making the newbie to junior transition very quick (very low post count) because I thought newbie might be belittling. Oh well... Smile

I too am surprised that it has gotten so many comments.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2014, 06:42 PM
(06-04-2014 04:43 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I too am surprised that it has gotten so many comments.

Easy for you to say, Mr. Super Moderator Big Grin

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-04-2014, 10:41 PM
OK everybody back on topic and answer the poll!

This counts as 1 more message Smile

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-08-2014, 02:00 AM
OK This subject is right up my alley. When someone comes up to me and says can I ask you a dumb question, I always respond with "those are the only types of questions that I can usually answer". Personally I always seem to have more questions than answers.
06-08-2014, 06:10 AM
That's good I should use that, my usual answer is "yes and if i don't know the answer, my dumb look's will be free".

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)