[49G+] Keyboard repair
05-10-2020, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2020 01:05 PM by pinkman.)
[49G+] Keyboard repair
Hi,
I’ve been googling about fixing the HP49G+ keyboard (my Enter, 3, 6, 0 and 1 keys are particularly floating).
I’ve seen suggestions with instant glue, I would appreciate advices and returns on experience if anyone has already performed this kind of fixing.

Regards,
Thibault

[edit]
Attached picture of keyboard

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2020, 11:35 AM
RE: [49G+] Keyboard repair
I am not sure how much help this will be. I was looking at a 49G+ earlier this year as I never had a graphing calc and the book I was reading suggested to use one. So I was looking at some on theBay and saw a really low priced one with some keys that looked like they were askew or floating. So I hit the web and did see a number of threads which described the key tab breaking. One of the threads had the user using an aluminum tape that was claimed to have worked really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKt-BIbti0k
05-11-2020, 12:17 PM
The keyboards on the first iteration of the 49g+ were atrocious. Later on in the life cycle of this machine they adopted the same technology as used in the 50g, which was much better.

My advice would be to look for a 50g instead. They can often be found at reasonable prices on eBay and you'll get the same functionality as the 49g+ plus a serial port.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
05-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Hope to never need to repair my 49g+'s keyboard, not so easy it looks, how much I like the woodstocks for this kind of pourpose...
I use both the 50g and the 49g+ and actually there is a quite relevant difference in the keyboard response
05-11-2020, 05:04 PM
(05-11-2020 12:17 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  ... you'll get the same functionality as the 49g+ plus a serial port.

Also the 50g can be powered by the USB port for long calculations, file transfers, etc.
05-11-2020, 05:14 PM
(05-11-2020 05:04 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Also the 50g can be powered by the USB port for long calculations, file transfers, etc.

Very true.

Am I right in thinking there's a later version of the 49g+ that uses 4xAA batteries instead of 3. Can that one be powered by USB as well?

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
05-11-2020, 06:01 PM
(05-11-2020 05:14 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Am I right in thinking there's a later version of the 49g+ that uses 4xAA batteries instead of 3. Can that one be powered by USB as well?

I don't think so, or at least I have never heard of one. The Wikipedia article seems to back up my assumption.
05-11-2020, 06:18 PM
(05-11-2020 06:01 PM)John Keith Wrote:  I don't think so, or at least I have never heard of one. The Wikipedia article seems to back up my assumption.

You're right. I must have been getting it mixed up with the 48gII.

05-11-2020, 08:30 PM
(05-11-2020 06:18 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 06:01 PM)John Keith Wrote:  I don't think so, or at least I have never heard of one. The Wikipedia article seems to back up my assumption.

You're right. I must have been getting it mixed up with the 48gII.

Happens to me every time this subject comes up... Smile

--Bob Prosperi
05-11-2020, 10:05 PM
Well, thanks for the answers.
So I’ll try to repair it, and if I break it more than it is, no regrets I’ll buy a 50G...
05-11-2020, 10:11 PM
(05-11-2020 11:35 AM)BillBee Wrote:  I am not sure how much help this will be. I was looking at a 49G+ earlier this year as I never had a graphing calc and the book I was reading suggested to use one. So I was looking at some on theBay and saw a really low priced one with some keys that looked like they were askew or floating. So I hit the web and did see a number of threads which described the key tab breaking. One of the threads had the user using an aluminum tape that was claimed to have worked really well.

Thanks for the link, I saw this video. It reminds me the opening of my HP28s... drilling, cutting, soldering... With the fear of breaking it down and ask the parents for another calculator... you know, the most expensive of the shop... because I just wanted to open it!
05-12-2020, 10:57 AM
(05-11-2020 10:11 PM)pinkman Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 11:35 AM)BillBee Wrote:  I am not sure how much help this will be. I was looking at a 49G+ earlier this year as I never had a graphing calc and the book I was reading suggested to use one. So I was looking at some on theBay and saw a really low priced one with some keys that looked like they were askew or floating. So I hit the web and did see a number of threads which described the key tab breaking. One of the threads had the user using an aluminum tape that was claimed to have worked really well.

Thanks for the link, I saw this video. It reminds me the opening of my HP28s... drilling, cutting, soldering... With the fear of breaking it down and ask the parents for another calculator... you know, the most expensive of the shop... because I just wanted to open it!

I understand and am quite sure a lot of members here have done the same. Smile

The mention of the 4 battery 48gII had my fingers googling it yesterday. Its honestly not a bad calc if the keyboard is good. Prices should be low as it doesn't seem to be on "the list".

-B
06-23-2020, 10:25 PM
Well I finally found a 50g for a reasonable price, it will sooner be on its way.
Once received and tested, I will try to fix the 49 keyboard.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)