HP PRIME Completely DEAD ?
06-10-2020, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2020 06:11 PM by ChrisR.)
HP PRIME Completely DEAD ?
Hi,

Recently acquired a Prime (G8X92AA) which wouldn't go further than the HP Logo screen on startup.

I tried to reflash the firmware using the connectivity kit with the prime in V13 recovery mode. Each time the upload would freeze at 39% and then error out with error number (112) I'm using the official HP USB cable.

I tired different USB ports and as well another pc with exactly the same results.
On the final attempt the screen now won't illuminate, the calculator is no longer recognised via USB and to all intents appears completely dead/inert.

I've tried the F,O,C reset trick. The Symb reset trick, the reset by itself all with combinations of USB powered, battery powered, both battery and USB powered. And nothing. Dead!

Are there any options left now other than to ceremoniously and with decorum place it into the recyling bin? (I'd prefer not to - but it looks like that's where it may have to go)

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2020, 07:45 PM
RE: HP PRIME Completely DEAD ?
While you wait for another suggestion, you may want to try this:
Leave the calculator on the charger for a few hours.
If it still is not coming back to life, Undo the back battery cover screws and remove the battery.
Connect the calculator to a usb computer port and see if you can bring the calculator back to life without the battery.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

06-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Thank you Jose. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
06-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Are there any clue of something wrong when running the tests in the diagnostics screen (CFO)?
06-11-2020, 10:07 AM
(06-10-2020 09:44 PM)pinkman Wrote:  Are there any clue of something wrong when running the tests in the diagnostics screen (CFO)?

Unfortunately no. Before the calculator became completely bricked, the format completed successfully with "ok" and on a second format (after the update again froze at 39%) I additionally run the other tests (one was for the Ram I think, the other possibly Nand?) and they both came back with an "ok" as did the format.

Now, it appears completely dead after the last reflash also failed at 39%. No screen, no USB recognition, no flicker of life, nothing.

I'll shortly try Jose's suggestion and report back.
06-11-2020, 12:54 PM
I've tried your suggestion Jose and alas no result. I checked the battery in my other Prime and it is showing 100%.

Without the calculator having some life (enough to be at least recognised over USB) there's simply no way I can think of to reflash it.

Couple of questions -

1). Is it possible to completely brick a Prime with a failed reflash ? - assuming that was the cause.

2). What is error (112) ?

3). Are there any other hardware recovery procedure(s) ?

4). Is there a repair service ? (The calculator is not in warranty. I am in the UK)

Cheers all for the help

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)