Hold Alpha+Shift Bug?
06-07-2020, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2020 05:18 PM by Major.)
Hold Alpha+Shift Bug?
I was typing some variables and noticed for some reason I cannot type Capital G or Capital J if I hold down Alpha+Shift while typing. Every other character seems to work.

Sometimes if I randomly press G and J while holding down Alpha and Shift it will come up with both the J and G letters as "jg" in Home View and "JG" in CAS. This happens on the HP Prime G1, but doesn't seem to happen on my HP Prime G2.

HP Prime G1 2.1.14425 (2020 01 16)
OS 0.050.640
HP Prime G2 2.1.14433(2020 01 21)
OS 2.060.650

Does anyone else have this issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2020, 07:00 PM
RE: Hold Alpha+Shift Bug?
I can't say I've ever tried holding down the Alpha, Shift and a letter key at the same time before. Its effect is not documented in the manual.

My first thought was that you might be invoking a ghost key combination that makes the three keys look like four keys, but unless the keyboard grid is very weirdly laid out, I don't think that is the case.

— Ian Abbott
06-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Same behavior on my G1, but like ijabbott I consider holding Alpha or Shift Alpha during keying is neither a feature or a bug.
06-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Yeah, mine has always done that, too. It might be an unintentional keyboard hardware limitation, though I seem to recall a post from Tim Wessman once saying you could hold both alpha, shift, and a letter together for quick capitals, making it sound like the devs intended this to work. And from a user perspective, one could reasonably expect that if you can hold alpha and a letter and have that work reliably, and hold shift and type a key to have that function work, then holding both alpha + shift together for a capital ought to work also. But in the real world, keyboards are tricky to design, and it seems this particular use case may not have been considered or tested thoroughly.
06-08-2020, 07:11 AM
Hello,

Yep, key ghosting issue here makes this combination impossible.

This is due to the HW of the keyboard and the limitation that we had on IOs on prime G1 if my memory serves me well.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)