G1/G2 Unit to Unit issues - Low Power msg & G1 cannot send to G2
06-07-2020, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2020 10:23 PM by cahlucas.)
G1/G2 Unit to Unit issues - Low Power msg & G1 cannot send to G2
Hi all,
The first problem concerns the battery status. When I connect a G1 to a G2, I get a message on the G2 that the battery is low, and that I have to recharge it as soon as possible. This is despite the fact that the G2 has recently been charged, and the battery indicator shows 100% when the calculator is not connected. Both the G1 and G2 have the latest firmware update. The second issue concerns some apps that are on the G1, not the G2. This concerns the Linear Explorer, Quadratic Explorer, the Elements and the Trigonometric apps. I would also like to have it on my G2. Unfortunately that did not work with the special cable from HP. The "SEND" button flashes briefly, but then disappears. What can I do about these problems? Have there ever been reports of these issues on this forum? I would like to hear from you what can be done about this. Sincerely, Karel.

I use HP-16C, WP-34S emulator, HP-35s, HP-48GX, HP-50g, and HP Prime G2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2020, 05:43 PM
RE: 2 Problems
I cannot answer these, but I'd like to request that you use a more specific subject (maybe even go back and modify the original), so that people looking for a similar problem in the future will be able to easily find it.

For example a subject for this post could be something like "G1/G2 Unit-2-Unit issues - Low Power msg & cannot send to G2"

No one will ever search for "2 problems"... and so could miss the answers you will receive.

Also, some G1 units cannot do unit-2-unit at all; h/w rev. A cannot for sure, but Rev C units can. Which is yours, it may help to get useful advice quicker?

--Bob Prosperi
06-07-2020, 10:29 PM
RE: G1/G2 Unit to Unit issues - Low Power msg & G1 cannot send to G2
(06-07-2020 05:43 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I cannot answer these, but I'd like to request that you use a more specific subject (maybe even go back and modify the original), so that people looking for a similar problem in the future will be able to easily find it.

For example a subject for this post could be something like "G1/G2 Unit-2-Unit issues - Low Power msg & cannot send to G2"

No one will ever search for "2 problems"... and so could miss the answers you will receive.

Also, some G1 units cannot do unit-2-unit at all; h/w rev. A cannot for sure, but Rev C units can. Which is yours, it may help to get useful advice quicker?
Dear rprosperi,
The G1 h/w rev. is an A, but I was able to send some programs to my G2 unit. So, i wondered why I can't send a few apps to the G2 unit? Sincerely, Karel.

06-08-2020, 02:09 AM
(06-07-2020 10:29 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  The G1 h/w rev. is an A, but I was able to send some programs to my G2 unit. So, i wondered why I can't send a few apps to the G2 unit? Sincerely, Karel.

You can verify that Rev A units do not support unit-2-unit USB transfers from the description on Wikipedia here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Prime#H...l_variants

My guess is that you were able to copy programs to the G2 from the ConnKit, which does work. Since both models do work correctly with the ConnKit, I suggest you copy items (programs, Apps, etc.) from your G1 to the ConnKit, and then from the ConnKit to the G2.

--Bob Prosperi
06-08-2020, 06:33 AM
(06-07-2020 03:21 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  Hi all,
The first problem concerns the battery status. When I connect a G1 to a G2, I get a message on the G2 that the battery is low, and that I have to recharge it as soon as possible. This is despite the fact that the G2 has recently been charged, and the battery indicator shows 100% when the calculator is not connected. Both the G1 and G2 have the latest firmware update. The second issue concerns some apps that are on the G1, not the G2. This concerns the Linear Explorer, Quadratic Explorer, the Elements and the Trigonometric apps. I would also like to have it on my G2. Unfortunately that did not work with the special cable from HP. The "SEND" button flashes briefly, but then disappears. What can I do about these problems? Have there ever been reports of these issues on this forum? I would like to hear from you what can be done about this. Sincerely, Karel.

Bonjour

Les programmes sont écrits en langage évolué HP PPL et sont donc compatibles, les applications intégrées sont écrites en C ou en assembleur et G1 et G2 n'ont pas le même microprocesseur donc incompatibles.
Les applications écrites en HP PPL par les utilisateurs elles, devraient être compatibles.

Hello

The programs are written in HP PPL advanced language and are therefore compatible, the embedded applications are written in C or assembler and G1 and G2 do not have the same microprocessor and are therefore incompatible.
Applications written in HP PPL by users should be compatible.
I think so.

Sorry for my english
06-08-2020, 11:18 PM
(06-08-2020 02:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-07-2020 10:29 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  The G1 h/w rev. is an A, but I was able to send some programs to my G2 unit. So, i wondered why I can't send a few apps to the G2 unit? Sincerely, Karel.

You can verify that Rev A units do not support unit-2-unit USB transfers from the description on Wikipedia here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Prime#H...l_variants

My guess is that you were able to copy programs to the G2 from the ConnKit, which does work. Since both models do work correctly with the ConnKit, I suggest you copy items (programs, Apps, etc.) from your G1 to the ConnKit, and then from the ConnKit to the G2.
Dear Mr. Prosperi,
The copy of the programs I did with the special hp cable, directly from the G1 to the G2. When I did that I was unaware that it would not be possible to send from a G1 h/w rev. A. But it really worked, however with the connectors reversed than described in the manual. I don't know if I can do this a second time, I haven't tried it yet. Otherwise I use the connectivity kit as explained by you. Sinserely, Karel.

06-09-2020, 06:01 AM
Hello,

revA does not support USB host, so to do calc to calc transfter, you need the host side to be on the other calc.

The usb cable is different on the host than the slave side.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
06-09-2020, 09:29 PM
(06-09-2020 06:01 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

revA does not support USB host, so to do calc to calc transfter, you need the host side to be on the other calc.

The usb cable is different on the host than the slave side.

Cyrille
Dear Mr. de Brébisson,
Still, it worked as described. I don't know how, bud it did. So, there is still the other issue. How can I copy the described apps to the G2 as there is no "COPY" button? Sincerely, Karel.

06-09-2020, 10:10 PM
(06-09-2020 09:29 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  Dear Mr. de Brébisson,
Still, it worked as described. I don't know how, bud it did. So, there is still the other issue. How can I copy the described apps to the G2 as there is no "COPY" button? Sincerely, Karel.

As noted above, use the ConnKit to copy G1->CK and then CK->G2.

If any of those Apps are built-in (old f/w) G1 Apps, you likely cannot copy them to G2.

--Bob Prosperi
06-10-2020, 05:20 AM
Hello,

You can send data from rev A to any other calc in calc to calc connection, BUT:
1) they have to be the same FW revision (or close enough)
2) the rev A unit has to be USB slave (changing which unit is host or slave is done by just inverting the cable).

It's just not very intuitive as the visual clue on the cable is not very visible and it is strange for the user that such thing work with the cable one way and not the other...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
06-10-2020, 12:26 PM
Thanks for this explanation Cyrille! I don't believe this subtle detail about unit-2-unit transfers for Rev. A h/w has been documented until now, and it explains cahlucas' confusing experience.

Really helpful, thanks again.

--Bob Prosperi
06-10-2020, 09:09 PM
(06-10-2020 12:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thanks for this explanation Cyrille! I don't believe this subtle detail about unit-2-unit transfers for Rev. A h/w has been documented until now, and it explains cahlucas' confusing experience.

Really helpful, thanks again.

Hi all,
Nice that it is now clear how the connection was made, but the problems that I was dealing with, especially the battery problem, have not been solved. For a description of this, I refer to my first post in this thread. I can possibly solve the copying of the apps with the connectivity kit. How is it possible that the battery indication fails during communication? Sincerely, Karel.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)