Store Calculation History (like Documents in Nspire)
06-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Store Calculation History (like Documents in Nspire)
Hi there,

I wanted to kindly ask your assistance. I could not find anywhere any mention of a functionality for HP Prime where it was possible to store a calculation history in (e.g. like a Document in the TI Nspire world). Is there any possibility to do something like that?

Thank you for your reply in advance!

Kind regards from Germany
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2020, 11:58 PM
RE: Store Calculation History (like Documents in Nspire)
Hi,
there is nothing like that on the prime as far as I know. One way could be the use of Backup("name") to save the history (as a complete "snapshot") into a file. With Backup("name") you get it back - but really all: history of CAS, home, programs and so on. A little bit more you want.

Does someone else have a better idea than that?

Best regards also from good old germany
06-07-2020, 12:17 AM
(06-06-2020 11:58 PM)froehlic Wrote:  Hi,
there is nothing like that on the prime as far as I know. One way could be the use of Backup("name") to save the history (as a complete "snapshot") into a file. With Backup("name") you get it back - but really all: history of CAS, home, programs and so on. A little bit more you want.

Does someone else have a better idea than that?

Best regards also from good old germany

Thanks for the reply. I have figured so, it’s a slight adjustment from the “everything is a document” paradigm in Nspire considering there is nothing like a file manager, just basic notes etc...
I think of it as a small shortcoming given that sometime it would be great to continue working on a different problem without having to recall everything and redefine the variables properly.

Kind regards.
06-07-2020, 09:36 PM
Two important points for educators who want to see in the hp-prime.
1: Run history line by line, to show step-by-step execution of expressions that invoke previous variables or parameters, as classpad does.

2 - Allows you to store the history (input / output expression) as a * .CASE file (cas executable), then rerun it.
06-07-2020, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2020 09:54 PM by t_angenbrandt.)
(06-07-2020 09:36 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Two important points for educators who want to see in the hp-prime.
1: Run history line by line, to show step-by-step execution of expressions that invoke previous variables or parameters, as classpad does.

2 - Allows you to store the history (input / output expression) as a * .CASE file (cas executable), then rerun it.

These two propositions look like exactly what I was dearly looking for in the HP Prime platform. The calculator is incredibly useful, but it’s very hard to manage lessons and different problems without such a storage facility.

Kind regards; T/A
06-09-2020, 03:41 PM
We can ask the development group, you can do a survey to see how many teachers and users want it
06-12-2020, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 08:47 PM by ramon_ea1gth.)
A first approach for the step by step explanations in the Prime could be the DEBUG command, executing a program with the calculations in the debug environment whether for CAS or for HOME (for the CAS, the debugging is shown in a terminal when using DEBUG).

I use the debug mode of the HP 50g calculator to give step by step explanations in the classroom using an emulator. For that calculator it is straightforward when using the display stack, RPL programming and algebraic expressions, as the operations are progressively added to the display stack.

But now that I am considering the Prime, I agree: some kind of improved step by step mode that shows the operations in the history of HOME or CAS would be appreciated for the lessons, at least in the emulator. It could be a basic debugging option acting on the history screen, so the same program could be used both for step by step or for continuous execution.

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2020, 09:05 PM
The Prime is basically Xcas on a mobile device with an incredible screen that is mounted upside down.

Imagine you buy the new Excel by HP!
You are working on a problem, building some formulas, but it is complicated and you want to save your CAS work and continue your ideas another day. With Excel by HP you have to connect your computer to a server and backup the whole machine. Want to resume your Excel work? Restore your computer!
You have finished your work and produced a nice graph. Want to save your graph and show it later to your friends? No problem, you can save a complete instance of your Excel-App. But HP saw this is weird and they updated their Excel: With the command Afiles you can make a screenshot of your graph which is then saved as a bitmap somewhere (nobody knows where because there is no file system). But your Connectivity Kit will find it for you.
All things that are not standard (solving triangles or TVM) and have to be saved require you to write a program. Of course it is not VBA nor RPL nor Python. It is HPPL, basically Pascal-like, very easy to use and to read. But beware if you use some commands in upper case or vice versa and unpredictable things will happen. It's like wave-particle duality. Sometimes it's calculator and sometimes it's Xcas.

The Prime is Bernard Parisse' wonderful CAS on an incredible hardware. But the underlying calculator concept is HP39gii which is rather dull.

When I see 'reviews' showing how fast the Prime is compared to its competitor I can only smile.
Sorry, I'm rambling

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)