Geometry App Crash
06-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Geometry App Crash
I'm not sure if this is legal to do but it shouldn't crash the calculator. I was trying to find the area of the space between a triangle and a circle contained within the triangle.

From the Num entry I tried:

And when I pressed Enter, the Calculator rebooted and the Geometry App reverted to a previous session.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: Geometry App Crash
(06-01-2014 02:45 PM)ndzied1 Wrote:  And when I pressed Enter, the Calculator rebooted and the Geometry App reverted to a previous session.

I can reproduce this crash as well. However, are you not really looking for area(GA) - area(GB)? The Geometry App produces the correct results using this syntax.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Yes, I was really looking for area(GA) - area(GB) as you state but typed in the other by mistake and the prime re-booted. The area(GA) - area(GB) does work.

My real goal was to shade the area between the objects and display the area but I haven't found a way to do that yet.
06-01-2014, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 03:39 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(06-01-2014 02:59 PM)ndzied1 Wrote:  Yes, I was really looking for area(GA) - area(GB) as you state but typed in the other by mistake and the prime re-booted. The area(GA) - area(GB) does work.

My real goal was to shade the area between the objects and display the area but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

From the Plot view, select the triangle and use Options/Fill to set its fill color. Select the circle, use Options/Choose Color.. to change the color to white and the select Options/Fill.

You can also set any closed object's fill color in the Geometry Symbolic View by double-clicking on the color selection square.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-28-2014, 02:42 PM
I've just tried doing the same with the emulator (latest version: rev. 6031) and... guess what?
Yes! It also ends with an epic crash!

The evidence:
If I create a triangle with a circle inside...
[Image: iYnNPvWfuhTbY.png]

And then try to enter the formula as suggested...
[Image: isXKUXONICyhy.png]

Exclamation KABOOM! Big Grin

I know this is not the way to calculate the area difference... but it's just a bit fun to see how this badly hurts both the calc and the emulator.

I wonder what the inner workings are that would lead to a crash, instead of a "Syntax Error", or whatever...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)