Thread Closed 
Casio and TI trying to take down cheats
05-25-2020, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2020 07:49 AM by Mark Power.)
Casio and TI trying to take down cheats
Edit: See also: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-15048.html

It seems both Casio and TI are trying to stop students cheating in exams. The TI approach is going to upset a lot of long time hackers:

Texas Instruments makes it harder to run programs on its calculators

The Casio approach seems strange, as while the intention of the modification is clearly to cheat, invoking copyright infringement law is bizarre as the hack looks to be just forcing more hardware into the calculator body:

DMCA Takedown Issued Over Casio Code That Wasn’t

Maybe the Prime will now get some more attention.
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2020, 10:20 AM
RE: Casio and TI trying to take down cheats
It wasn't Casio who issued the DMCA takedown notice, it was an anti-counterfeiting organisation "on behalf of" Casio. I doubt the lawyers responsible even looked at the code and just looked at the title of the GitHub project "Hack-Casio-Calculator".

— Ian Abbott
05-25-2020, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2020 10:33 AM by Nad.)
Hello!

(05-25-2020 07:44 AM)Mark Power Wrote:  The TI approach is going to upset a lot of long time hackers

I really can't understand why. For years TI have been blocking Ndless - you think the message would have gotten through to them by now Smile

Nad

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end.
05-25-2020, 02:48 PM
I just read about this on Slashdot and wanted to post it here but you was ahead of me.

For TI the motivation is clear - they make calculators for schools and exams, the people who actually buy them are not their customers.

Why Casio would do this with a cheap model is less clear, or is this a model that is used often in some countries in education and do they fear the model would become illegal? But this hack can easily be applied to other models too as far as I can see. You just need one with some space in the casing and a solar panel that can be replaced by a display.
05-26-2020, 02:19 AM
(05-25-2020 10:26 AM)Nad Wrote:  Hello!

(05-25-2020 07:44 AM)Mark Power Wrote:  The TI approach is going to upset a lot of long time hackers

I really can't understand why. For years TI have been blocking Ndless - you think the message would have gotten through to them by now Smile

Nad

With OS 5.x it looks like TI has finally succeeded in beating the Ndless team. Sad

Tom L
Cui bono?
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)