HP 10c question
05-08-2020, 09:21 AM
HP 10c question
Hello again
I got another repair candidate. A 10c!
The problem: it seems to have a flaky contact to this tiny flex printed circuit board. I managed to switch it on once or twice, but it stopped now. One of these little plastic cylinders which hold the connector in place is broken off.
Any chance to repair that?
is it a wise idea to remove the connector entirely and solder-in little wires? couple years ago I used this 10c daily, but then I got some other calcs (15c and so on) and used them. Recently I decided to check my collection and clean them a bit and switched all of them on, the 10c was not working properly. But I remember some years ago that I could successfully run the self test and as I said, today I could switch it on once or twice.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2020, 06:07 PM
RE: HP 10c question
I found the connector elastomers to fail with high resistance. I would get replacements from similar age 12c’s that I had used for lcd’s.

A single pin broken off wasn’t a major problem, it was when both locating pins were broken it was a real challenge. I found you could put very thin double sided tape on both sides of the black plastic spacer that held the elastomer in place. One side held it in place on the pc board, the other side held the flex circuit in place. That was enough to hold everything in place until the back was reinstalled, then nothing could move.

Soldering wires would certainly work but there’s no going back with that and so I always consider that only as an absolute last resort.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)