go00c crashes at startup
05-06-2020, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 09:42 PM by johanw.)
go00c crashes at startup
I downloaded Oliver De Smet's go00c (a HP12C emulator) and found a copy of nonpareil 0.78 for the ROM's. I then renamed 12c.obj to 00c.obj and put in in the download folder. Go00c crashed at startup, I saw the first run some flickering of loading a rom and that was it. It is indeed copied to the programs' data directory.

I found a copy of the old go12c.apk on the internet, that worked OK. Go15c and go16c, which I bought, also work OK on my phone (not on my tablet but that's another story, I can't get to the settings menu there). I had to restore a Titanium Backup from my phone to set their settings.

Did I do anything wrong or is this app so buggy? I tried searching a logfile but I didn't find a clear crash.

BTW, are those apps still maintained? On my phone the settings menu is accessed by creating a dot menu in the bottom row, that does not work on devices with hardware keys like my Samsung tablet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2020, 09:05 PM
RE: go00c crashes at startup
Mixed picture here: go00c crashes on my old Android 6 device (Samsung S5; messages "error loading state" -> "bad rom file" -> "00c.obj rom imported") but runs with no crash on Android 10 (Note 9). All other goXX apps run with no crashes on both devices.

But what's worse is that Android 10 has removed the menu button from its user interface, making all goXX menus inaccessible: no settings, no actions, no copy/paste/import/export of data.

Thankfully, Emu48 came just in time to stand in for my productive use of go48gx. On the other hand, over time I've bought several goXX apps simply because they are beautifully done and I occasionally enjoyed playing with them and exploring the differences between generations of HP calculators in the course of time. Now I'm stuck with them menuless.

An e-mail I sent to the author about a month ago went with no reply so far. There seems to be a Playstore app that claims to recreate the menu button on Android 10, but its description is confusing and it got mixed reviews so I decided not to install it. Has anyone here tried this one or know of a better alternative?

On the other hand, if the burden of updating these apps is getting to much (which I'd perfectly understand), how about open-sourcing them and letting the community do the work? Just a suggestion - I believe these apps are just too valuable to let them sink into oblivion.

Best, Mike
05-12-2020, 12:50 AM
(05-11-2020 09:05 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  Mixed picture here: go00c crashes on my old Android 6 device (Samsung S5; messages "error loading state" -> "bad rom file" -> "00c.obj rom imported") but runs with no crash on Android 10 (Note 9). All other goXX apps run with no crashes on both devices.

But what's worse is that Android 10 has removed the menu button from its user interface, making all goXX menus inaccessible: no settings, no actions, no copy/paste/import/export of data.

Thankfully, Emu48 came just in time to stand in for my productive use of go48gx. On the other hand, over time I've bought several goXX apps simply because they are beautifully done and I occasionally enjoyed playing with them and exploring the differences between generations of HP calculators in the course of time. Now I'm stuck with them menuless.

An e-mail I sent to the author about a month ago went with no reply so far. There seems to be a Playstore app that claims to recreate the menu button on Android 10, but its description is confusing and it got mixed reviews so I decided not to install it. Has anyone here tried this one or know of a better alternative?

On the other hand, if the burden of updating these apps is getting to much (which I'd perfectly understand), how about open-sourcing them and letting the community do the work? Just a suggestion - I believe these apps are just too valuable to let them sink into oblivion.

Best, Mike

The author of these goxx apps is a member here and does stop-by from time to time. He has stated exactly what you've commented on, and inferred (if not stated directly) that creating new emulators was more interesting than constantly having to maintain his (large number) of existing apps just to keep them working as new versions of Android come out.

And although he used to reply promptly to support issues and questions, that pretty much seems to have stopped a few years ago. I've sent several messages since 2017 and not received any replies.

Although these apps were not too expensive (I purchased 3 or 4 of them) I would expect at least some short reply, even if it was to say the app I bought is no longer supported on version XYZ, etc. The author's products remain available for purchase so it seems not unreasonable to expect a reply.

Hopefully he'll see our posts and comment here.

--Bob Prosperi
05-12-2020, 05:41 AM
(05-11-2020 09:05 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  But what's worse is that Android 10 has removed the menu button from its user interface, making all goXX menus inaccessible: no settings, no actions, no copy/paste/import/export of data.

There are at least two of the goXX apps compatible with Android 10: I'm using go41cx and go42s on my Android 10 phone and I can access the menu with a tap in the lower left corner of the calc display. The go41cx version I have on my phone is v1.8.1 released in 2020 and the go42s is v1.4.5 released in 2018.
However I confirm that I can't access the settings menu on go15c with Android 10.
05-12-2020, 05:57 AM
The GOxx app work good on my still using on the Galaxy S7 Edge mobile phone.

So far the GO33c, GO25c and GO41cx work really well on my phone.

I just feel so troublesome to get the app and install ROM manually to use

the GO00, GO11, GO15 and GO16 so instead I use the

Original App from HP for HP-12C and HP-15C worthed even it is higher price.

Gamo
05-12-2020, 02:13 PM
(05-11-2020 09:05 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  Has anyone here tried this one or know of a better alternative?

I've had good luck with the "One Hand Operation +" app, for exactly this purpose. It allows you to define gestures, and sidebars, to perform various operations, one of which can be Menu. And it can be toggled on only when you need it, then off again.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-12-2020, 09:38 PM
(05-12-2020 02:13 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I've had good luck with the "One Hand Operation +" app, for exactly this purpose. It allows you to define gestures, and sidebars, to perform various operations, one of which can be Menu. And it can be toggled on only when you need it, then off again.

THIS IS MAGIC! Exactly what I was looking for! You have just rescued my entire collection, thank you so much!
05-13-2020, 07:56 PM
(05-12-2020 02:13 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I've had good luck with the "One Hand Operation +" app, for exactly this purpose.
Thanks, this worked fine on my tablet. and I could access my menus again. I found I could also use a widget from Samsung for accessibility options (https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Tabl.../td-p/4088) but that leaves a nasty widget on the screen, this works much better.
05-14-2020, 05:39 PM
glad it helped; I stumbled across it by accident, since it does much more than just MENU, of course.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Forgot to add: it also has a drop-down quick settings entry, too, for even easier toggling on/off; I normally leave it off, and toggle it on there when I need it.

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Thanks to all who responded and sorry for sort of hijacking this thread! I'd like to give a summary and some additional information.

Samsung's One Hand Operation + (OHO+) app (suggested by by cdmackay), beyond giving access to the Menu Button, has turned out to be a very useful usability enhancement. Highly recommended!

The previously mentioned Assistant Menu not only displays the nasty widget, but its Menu Button (termed More Options in Android 6) is gone in Android 10. Let's hope that the OHO+ menu button will not suffer a similar fate with a future update.

Search for Nonpareil 0.77 on hpcalc to address Gamo's trouble.

I can confirm that go41c and go42s are Android 10 compatible.

As of May 23, 2020, the following apps on my Android 10 device still depend on the menu button: go11c, go15c, go16c, go21, go22, go25c, go29c, go33c, go34c, go48gx, go48s, go67c, go71b

With g00c (again on Android 10), the menu button does activate the emulator's menu, but the menu appears to be non-functional.

Hope this is useful. Best, Mike
05-23-2020, 10:27 PM
useful summary, thanks!

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)