What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
04-15-2020, 07:28 PM
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
(04-15-2020 05:29 PM)John Keith Wrote:  I gather that the opinion at HP HQ is "who needs more than 10000 digits on a $@%#! calculator?" I would say that if a 20 year old calculator (HP-49) could handle more than 10000 digits, why would anyone want to go backwards?

To me, the silliest thing ever said is, "who needs more than..." We've heard it time after time. "640K is enough for anybody.", "The 80286 is more processor than anyone will ever need.", "The 80386 is more processor than anyone will ever need." etc., etc., etc.

No matter how much processing power, speed, amount of RAM, video resolution, color depth we have, someone will always want more and eventually someone will come up with software to use it all and that eventually requires it all. There is no absolute limit on what people will need. Needs grow as capability does. So, HP: please keep developing faster calculators with more memory, higher resolution screens with more colors (it doesn't matter what the limitation of the human eye is - we want MORE!) oh, and better battery life, too. Ignore the laws of physics. We want all the added capability with longer battery life as well.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2020, 08:47 PM
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
1) USB-C
2) MicroPython/Full Python support.
3) VGA or better resolution
4) Embedded WLAN capability
5) Improve Graphing tools/Interface

Other considerations:
Keep the current size.
CAS is great, keep and expand.
Improve RPN mode.
04-17-2020, 07:41 PM
1.) Owner's Handbook
2.) Problem-Solving Guide
3.) Advanced User's Reference Manual

Hans
04-17-2020, 09:11 PM
Agree with Hans!
04-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Just a quick note here. Home and CAS are separated due to exam functionality.
04-18-2020, 08:11 PM
(04-18-2020 11:29 AM)Solver Wrote:  Just a quick note here. Home and CAS are separated due to exam functionality.

Correct!
I hope that any new HP Prime retains that.
Perhaps a minimal Linux OS would allow a full χCas version to be there!
– –
VPN
04-18-2020, 08:47 PM
(04-18-2020 11:29 AM)Solver Wrote:  Just a quick note here. Home and CAS are separated due to exam functionality.

TI gets around it by selling a CAS and non-CAS version of Nspire and Nspire II. Both sell very well.

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-21-2020, 11:04 AM
(04-18-2020 08:47 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

TI gets around it by selling a CAS and non-CAS version of Nspire and Nspire II. Both sell very well.

y tho?

Or more specifically, why should HP change the calculator to an inferior way of handling this? At present, the Prime has a dual-function of being a practical calculator while still allowing for any kind of exam.
04-21-2020, 11:04 PM
I will like to see a congruent family of calculators, same look and feel, but with a steep up path. All of them with default RPN entry mode. ( Not sure about wanting Algebraic as secondary option)

Will like to see a
- Basic RPN 4-10 function calculator, 4+ line display, large stack, illuminated.
- Intermediate RPN scientific,
- Advanced RPN scientific,
- Full blown engineering RPN, programmable, CAS, statistics, financial

And in a parallel universe
- Intermediate Financial, RPN
- Advanced Financial, RPN

I will like 7-8 year children to start with RPN thinking, and evolve from there.

Adrian Coto
04-22-2020, 12:34 AM
(04-21-2020 11:04 PM)acoto Wrote:  I will like to see a congruent family of calculators, same look and feel, but with a steep up path. All of them with default RPN entry mode. ( Not sure about wanting Algebraic as secondary option)

Will like to see a
- Basic RPN 4-10 function calculator, 4+ line display, large stack, illuminated.
- Intermediate RPN scientific,
- Advanced RPN scientific,
- Full blown engineering RPN, programmable, CAS, statistics, financial

And in a parallel universe
- Intermediate Financial, RPN
- Advanced Financial, RPN

I will like 7-8 year children to start with RPN thinking, and evolve from there.

In a really odd twist of fate, HP's current lineup actually includes both of your parallel universe products, but only the Intermediate RPN (35S) on your wish list.

--Bob Prosperi
04-22-2020, 01:42 AM
(04-21-2020 11:04 AM)Solver Wrote:  
(04-18-2020 08:47 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  TI gets around it by selling a CAS and non-CAS version of Nspire and Nspire II. Both sell very well.

y tho?

Or more specifically, why should HP change the calculator to an inferior way of handling this? At present, the Prime has a dual-function of being a practical calculator while still allowing for any kind of exam.

The non-CAS version would be for those of us who don't use CAS. CAS gets in our way many times. Having dual functions adds unnecessary complexity. We always have to keep in mind how our programs interact with CAS.

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-22-2020, 07:52 AM
(04-22-2020 01:42 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(04-21-2020 11:04 AM)Solver Wrote:  y tho?

The non-CAS version would be for those of us who don't use CAS. CAS gets in our way many times. Having dual functions adds unnecessary complexity. We always have to keep in mind how our programs interact with CAS.

You can't rip the CAS off the HP Prime,
but with huge effort of several years there could be two separate double-priced models.
Naturally they would be terribly outdated,
but lucky enough one non-CAS calculator would be sold...
- -
VPN
04-22-2020, 09:13 PM
The hardware of the g2 is very powerfull and the only weakness in my opinion is the screen. Software wise I never adopted the Prime, my favorite calc remains the 50g. I think the programming of the Prime requires a real keyboard and I would think most people will use a remote computer and an emulator to program it. I think RPL was more adapted to programming on the calculator. Even my old 15C was more adapted. I quitted ranting about the Prime, Hp made some marketing decisions that don’t put me in a customer position, but if you ask me, I would like a slim modern and fast 50g. I’m absolutely certain it is no big deal to even emulate one on modern systems.
04-24-2020, 05:57 PM
(04-22-2020 09:13 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  but if you ask me, I would like a slim modern and fast 50g.

Perhaps this could be on the Swiss Micros "wish list" ? :-)

Jake
04-24-2020, 09:01 PM
(04-24-2020 05:57 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Perhaps this could be on the Swiss Micros "wish list" ? :-)

I was told once that the Swiss Micros people are not interested in HP-48 series calculators. Even if there was interest the hardware would have to be different- a fast ARM Cortex processor and much larger RAM and flash than their current offerings for starters.
04-24-2020, 11:13 PM
A better screen, with better viewing angles and double the resolution. I'm spoiled by cell phones.
04-25-2020, 04:13 AM
(04-22-2020 01:42 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  The non-CAS version would be for those of us who don't use CAS. CAS gets in our way many times. Having dual functions adds unnecessary complexity. We always have to keep in mind how our programs interact with CAS.

I've never run into a single problem yet where I had to use the non-CAS (Home) mode in order to get the correct answer. You can run programs in Home mode too if you really wanna stick to it, so I really don't know what you're talking about.
04-25-2020, 10:56 PM
  • An RPL stack (e.g., ‹‹...›› for RPN macros, '...' for algebraics).
  • Python (for anything more than macro or simple expression programming)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2020, 10:08 AM
(04-24-2020 09:01 PM)John Keith Wrote:  
(04-24-2020 05:57 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Perhaps this could be on the Swiss Micros "wish list" ? :-)

I was told once that the Swiss Micros people are not interested in HP-48 series calculators. Even if there was interest the hardware would have to be different- a fast ARM Cortex processor and much larger RAM and flash than their current offerings for starters.
Last time I spoke to Michael from SwissMicros he said that a 48SX was possible within the RAM/ROM constraints of the ARMs available. The main problem is that the 48SX ROM has not been released for commercial use - only non-commercial - so Emu48 can't be ported.
04-26-2020, 02:47 PM
The hardware of the G2 prime is very very good. I just would add USB-c.
The price seems reasonable for what it offers. Always could be batter off course.

Software could be improved in simple things and not so simple:
- Adding some more functions in different applications or adding new ones if necessary, like:
R packages for probability (tosscoin, etc).
Bessel functions.
Two/three variables calculus functions.
Better 3d graphucs interphase
Improve units treatment.

Maybe somo more numerical precission. Not as much as swismicro but 16 digits would be nice. That is diffucult I saw that many algorithms hace to be rewritten.

Nothing else. Is the best calculator I've ever had.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)